IGNORED

stupid first world problems you're dealing with

Guest KY

Go for new company? Sounds like $ is still good and work would be more satisfying. Fact is you don’t know where it’ll take you, meaning in a couple years you could be making well more than what you’re making in current company, plus have more opportunities within the new company.

True, that's kind of the gamble I'd have to make. 

Is talking to the relevant people at your current position about your hopes/concerns help at all? That'd be my first suggestion if it's possible, and obviously if you like the company and would be interested in staying long term.

Other than that, do a pros/cons list, including potential/expected earnings over 1 year, 5 years, 10 years, and discuss further long term goals/plans with the lady/whoever. Then when you're sick of doing all that, sleep on it a day or two. :)

This is probably the wisest choice, though it may involve me admitting I`ve been looking elsewhere. I`ve been there for 6 years already... Yeah I`m going to have a good ole heart to heart with the boss tomorrow me-thinks.

thx watmm troops

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

Cut another large chunk of work from the book I'm editing (mentioned previously in this thread). This chapter was one of the main reasons I wrote the thing, so I feel all conflicted again about getting rid of it (which had to be done: it was too long, and did nothing for the story). Soon, there will be nothing left of the original idea!

My mobile network doesnt get coverage in my area and I'm trying to figure out how to get out of my $40 a month contract im paying for jack shit

Edited by Lewps

Bulk, is the money really the only (or at least the biggest) factor in where you choose to work? Cuz for me that decision would not at all be based around % pay increases... job satisfaction is really all that matters IMO, so long as you can pay your bills...

Yeah mostly compensation (or long term opportunities for compensation) is the biggest motivator. I can't see myself actually being satisfied by any work I do, it's why it's called work? I unno. I wish I could do something satisfying but it wouldn't provide for the quality of life I want for me/waifu/kiddo(upcoming). =/

I'm pleased with a clever jazz arrangement I did, but it's for a cheesy christmas carol my client wanted to do, so my success is bittersweet.  

Also, had a listening party with my band for an album I'd been working on for a while, which means the process of making it is officially over and that makes me sad... well, except for this one stupid kick sample I had intended to remove from the closing track that marred an otherwise perfect listening experience. Ffffffffffuuuuu  :wtf:

Now I'm jacked up on coffee, it's 11pm and I don't know what to do with myself.

I'm pleased with a clever jazz arrangement I did, but it's for a cheesy christmas carol my client wanted to do, so my success is bittersweet.  

Also, had a listening party with my band for an album I'd been working on for a while, which means the process of making it is officially over and that makes me sad... well, except for this one stupid kick sample I had intended to remove from the closing track that marred an otherwise perfect listening experience. Ffffffffffuuuuu  :wtf:

new projects...

Facebook had the nerve to put fuckin Donald J Trump as one of the featured pages on my feed, immediately after I read stories regarding the FCC vote on Net Neutrality just three days away. Is this a coincidence??

So I reported DJT to Facebook for being fake news. Really. (Sorry, this probably belongs in the "Now That Shit Freak's President..." thread.)

iTunes update has the program rounding the corners of album artwork. This software is such trash. I need to move to something else.

media-monkey. I've used it for years and it works great, way more functionality, more to customize etc.

I quit using itunes when it started automatically deleting content of mine (rare old sets and stuff) that wasn't purchased via the itunes store. It was a slow thing, a track here, a track there. 

job satisfaction is really all that matters IMO, so long as you can pay your bills...

Not sure I'd agree.

Willing to sacrifice a little bit of happiness at work (tight deadlines, high workload) to be able to travel the world, home ownership, entertain myself, rather than just scraping by?

You're only at work 34% of the hours in a month (if you're lucky, reg 9-5).

Unless I'm not understanding your take on job satisfaction? I don't know many people that, when they're at home/out with friends etc, say "hey I'd rather be at work"... You are almost certainly less happy working than enjoying leisure time. 

I must have misunderstood something, sorries. 

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

job satisfaction is really all that matters IMO, so long as you can pay your bills...

Not sure I'd agree.

Willing to sacrifice a little bit of happiness at work (tight deadlines, high workload) to be able to travel the world, home ownership, entertain myself, rather than just scraping by?

You're only at work 34% of the hours in a month (if you're lucky, reg 9-5).

Unless I'm not understanding your take on job satisfaction? I don't know many people that, when they're at home/out with friends etc, say "hey I'd rather be at work"... You are almost certainly less happy working than enjoying leisure time. 

I must have misunderstood something, sorries.

No, I don't think you misunderstood anything. :) And scraping by sucks! This is why I think luke's "as long as you can pay your bills" is important in there.

The way I see it, once you start making a certain amount of money, there's kind of an implicit expectation that your work becomes an important part of your identity. In other words, you think about work when you're not at work, consciously or not. Do you like what's in those thoughts? Are they about solving interesting problems? Are they about people (coworkers, clients) you care about, people you want to help, and how you can help them? Are they about ideas that are exciting to you? Opportunities to make things better? Mastering your craft? It might be a different strokes kind of thing, but for me, when they are, that's when I'm the most happy.

There are plenty of times I've been hanging out with friends and thought to myself, yes, I'd rather be at work right now :)

Edited by sweepstakes

Ah, I see what you mean. And agree. I'm still a young buck though, maybe I haven't hit that point where satisfaction is the most important thing. I've only changed careers once in my life so far, so probably still finding my niche. 

Ah, I see what you mean. And agree. I'm still a young buck though, maybe I haven't hit that point where satisfaction is the most important thing. I've only changed careers once in my life so far, so probably still finding my niche. 

I think for most folks, at least in our parents' generation, it goes the other way around - you want satisfaction in your 20s and you want moneys after that. I find myself going the other way though.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, lol. I don't give a shit, though, as long as I can keep doing this type of work I'm happy, and I'd rather be happy than wealthy.

Remove that kick sample?

Remove that kick sample?

That was indeed what I did.  It wasn't very satisfying, but now it's done.