IGNORED

stupid first world problems you're dealing with

Guest KY

is flax seed oil good for seasoning cast iron?

No. You want an oil with a high smoke point, as seasoning is done at a high temperature.

Peanut oil, sunflower oil both work well.

=/

You want an oil with a low smoke point. That's how it polymerizes and seasons the pan....

oh wait, nevermind. that would be bad wouldn't it?

why am I reading two very opposite things online? >.<

edit: looks like there is no real consensus on oils to season with. Some sites advocate low smoke point oils and others, high smoke point. I'm more confused now than before.

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

people with well disguised problems, with a wife & a nipper to look after, jumping off Avon Gorge 2 weeks b4 christmas

4th suicide of olde sound system crews in the last 18months, can people pls seek help or talk? not when their Dr repeatedly refuses to take someone's problems seriously

male suicides are 1 of society's taboos & yet mental health care is an international travesty, ffs there has to be another way

you're doing a really good job helping already, i hope you know that :)

and not just men that need to seek the help. we can all do what we can to get everyone into a better. i think that's a good focus for 2018. i got some cracks appearing in the minds of people in my olde sound system crew too. gonna check them at xmas and make sure people know that they're not alone or weird

watmmers, if you are in any kind of senior/influence role in life start getting your crew/team to have a good old public "lol let's talk about mental health' ... i think there's a lot of people hiding stuff + that causes more lies + that causes more and more. and then we die.

or ... no, you don't need to be senior, you can get it started from the bottom too. fuck the matrix

homeless again, feeling embarassed more than anything really to still be repeating this pattern closer to 30 than 20

hoping this will be the push i need to finally leave the empty life i live in this city & go out & explore the world & make something of my life beyond "quiet guy who makes a lot of ambient albums". kind of a pain that it's happening in december on the verge of months of true cold rather than say march, but thats the way the cookie tears

=/

You want an oil with a low smoke point. That's how it polymerizes and seasons the pan....

oh wait, nevermind. that would be bad wouldn't it?

why am I reading two very opposite things online? >.

edit: looks like there is no real consensus on oils to season with. Some sites advocate low smoke point oils and others, high smoke point. I'm more confused now than before.

High temperature to season the pan. Unless you want the smoke to fill your house and infiltrate into the pan itself...

There is another way to season the pan, but it takes all day.

And I can’t remember who posted, but if you take care of your Teflon pan, it should last around a decade with all of its non-stick properties. Not as long as a cast-iron, but they serve different purposes. And cast iron pans, while they’re fantastic (I own two, one enameled, one not), are not the same as a good non-stick for cooking that requires a non-stick pan.

Different tools for different jobs and all that.

From what I read, using oil with a low smoke point for seasoning will smoke your house out during the seasoning process, but the stuff left behind in the pan/that becomes part of the pan, stands up to high heat much better and needs less care? This is my first foray into cast iron, so only going off the interwebs. Sounds like there are a few diff ways to do it? I'll try both ways and see how she goes!

I'll live and learn! :P

Happy holidays btw hope you and the fam-jam have a good Christmas and new years and all that.  :beer:

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

A far less serious FWP: I'm about to go on holiday/vaycay but my flight departs @ 5 AM. So I need to wake up hella early. Consuming a caffeinated beverage in the evening probably wasn't the wisest course of action.

Hahaha, sorry, man... but worry not. My entire kitchen was purple for about 7 years before I hired someone to paint it over.

You just reminded me about the gross purple in my hallway that I've slowly become insensitive to over the last 6 years. What kind of monster paints a wall purple?

Hahaha, sorry, man... but worry not. My entire kitchen was purple for about 7 years before I hired someone to paint it over.

You just reminded me about the gross purple in my hallway that I've slowly become insensitive to over the last 6 years. What kind of monster paints a wall purple?

people with well disguised problems, with a wife & a nipper to look after, jumping off Avon Gorge 2 weeks b4 christmas

4th suicide of olde sound system crews in the last 18months, can people pls seek help or talk? not when their Dr repeatedly refuses to take someone's problems seriously

male suicides are 1 of society's taboos & yet mental health care is an international travesty, ffs there has to be another way

I was thinking about this today (I think about it every day).

mental health issues, far from being unusual or taboo, should be recognised for how normal and common they are. depression in particular. it is a normal reaction to observe the state of the world and the terms & conditions of existence (namely, that you can't really change anything and you're only here for a blink anyway) and, if you're somebody who has any empathy or cares about the common good, to become depressed about it. it's a human reaction. what matters is how you deal with that, not stigmatising negative thoughts as abnormal and outside of the ordinary human experience. we should instill in society the basic understanding that accepting your bad thoughts and dealing with them appropriately makes you a far stronger person than just trying (and failing) to aim for some constant bland positivity all throughout your life. edit: and this should be reflected in our institutions, especially in places of employment - people's mental health issues should be on the agenda in terms of professional development, not neglected by idiot managers as "that's for you to deal with, I just manage your work".

normies who emphasise mindless positivity and repress their issues are the biggest nutters out there, and are often the ones who will trample on others/behave unethically to get what they want.

i'm not quite sure how the Australian healthcare system works, but here its a fkn disgrace, the same thing would never be allowed to fester with cancer care, HIIV, or palliative care, yet the demographics show a sustained bias toward males mainly within an age range >44 that result in consistent fatalities

its just all the unknowns such an outcome as someone walking off a cliff throws up & for the family even more so

i've seen how effed up mental health care can be trying to access help for ptsd for years unsuccessfully, so theres an iceberg of untreated people continuing to stumble thru, being lied to because the system cant cope or is illusory to begin with in some areas

as males, we're expected to get the fk on with it, whether theres a problem or not, because society's workhorses can handle it, until they cant & the organism cracks

finding help can be as difficult as realizing help is actually needed & with this specific bloke he spent far too long being rebuffed by his GP (general practitioner)

Im sitting in a movie theater waiting for Star Wars, got in early & keep seats warm for friends, nothing has started yet but popcorn munchers & babblers already annoying AF.

A

F

the front foor of my house was getting stuck mid-swing due to a wedged piece of metal on the bottom of it, so I've been doing action movie entrances, pushing with my elbow, for like 2 months. We fixed it this weekend and it now opens easily but I still push too hard cause of muscle memory so I've almost fallen a couple times already. It's gonna be a month or so of Kramer entrances

mental health issues, far from being unusual or taboo, should be recognised for how normal and common they are. depression in particular. it is a normal reaction to observe the state of the world and the terms & conditions of existence (namely, that you can't really change anything and you're only here for a blink anyway) and, if you're somebody who has any empathy or cares about the common good, to become depressed about it. it's a human reaction. what matters is how you deal with that, not stigmatising negative thoughts as abnormal and outside of the ordinary human experience. we should instill in society the basic understanding that accepting your bad thoughts and dealing with them appropriately makes you a far stronger person than just trying (and failing) to aim for some constant bland positivity all throughout your life. edit: and this should be reflected in our institutions, especially in places of employment - people's mental health issues should be on the agenda in terms of professional development, not neglected by idiot managers as "that's for you to deal with, I just manage your work".

normies who emphasise mindless positivity and repress their issues are the biggest nutters out there, and are often the ones who will trample on others/behave unethically to get what they want.

i'm not quite sure how the Australian healthcare system works, but here its a fkn disgrace, the same thing would never be allowed to fester with cancer care, HIIV, or palliative care, yet the demographics show a sustained bias toward males mainly within an age range >44 that result in consistent fatalities

its just all the unknowns such an outcome as someone walking off a cliff throws up & for the family even more so

i've seen how effed up mental health care can be trying to access help for ptsd for years unsuccessfully, so theres an iceberg of untreated people continuing to stumble thru, being lied to because the system cant cope or is illusory to begin with in some areas

as males, we're expected to get the fk on with it, whether theres a problem or not, because society's workhorses can handle it, until they cant & the organism cracks

finding help can be as difficult as realizing help is actually needed & with this specific bloke he spent far too long being rebuffed by his GP (general practitioner)

has someone gone after the GP now that he's killed himself?

The sushi restaurant I was about to walk to is closed on Mondays.  I always end up wanting to eat there when they are closed, I'm starving, and don't have a backup plan ready.  On the upside, I didn't walk all the way there this time to find out.  On the downside I'm fucking starving and don't have a plan B worked out.  What's up with restaurants being closed on Monday anyway?  Seems to be a common thing.

Many sushi restaurants receive fish on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. Making Tuesday-Friday prime days for sushi. If you go on a Monday, it’s last Thursday’s offerings. Not fresh.

watching anthony bourdain's travel show where he went to japan. the guy with the most exclusive sushi restaurant goes to the fish market late and buys the cheaper leftovers and then freezes it. he believed that overly fresh fish has no taste o_O

Many sushi restaurants receive fish on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. Making Tuesday-Friday prime days for sushi. If you go on a Monday, it’s last Thursday’s offerings. Not fresh.

watching anthony bourdain's travel show where he went to japan. the guy with the most exclusive sushi restaurant goes to the fish market late and buys the cheaper leftovers and then freezes it. he believed that overly fresh fish has no taste o_O

oh ha i didn't read down

has someone gone after the GP now that he's killed himself?

a complaint is being leveled with the local health authority, but whatever happens his wife will take it to the health ombudsman, the only independent oversight for medical failings & more often than not they only get tapped up after the metaphorical bollock has popped

life eh

that was a great episode!