IGNORED

stupid first world problems you're dealing with

Guest KY

There was a fire in our apartment complex Friday evening. It was an electrical fire and it started in the first floor storage unit where all the electrical fuses and meters are, pretty much below us and across the hall and rose into the custodial closet that is literally across the hall from us. Thankful as fuck the local fire department responded quickly, no apartments were damaged by flames, and nobody got injured (although the unit next to the storage unit has some smoke damage). The storage unit is toast, we're lucky they got to it so fast.

We got an update from the apartment office this afternoon. Unfortunately the Fire Marshall declared we can't go back in until at least Monday, until our wing of the complex ventilates and air quality has improved. Fortunately my parents live about 5 minutes away and they're taking us in until we can return. Power isn't back on yet but they're hoping to get it on before then. Electric guys have been working on it all day. This really sucks but I understand why we can't go back in, even stopping in to grab some clothes and things to bring to my parents' place and it got hard to breathe in there. We're most likely gonna need professional cleaning done to the carpets and walls...

FFS, I was so looking forward to going home and relaxing on Friday evening after a long week. I've spent maybe 15-20 minutes in my apartment this whole weekend just grabbing some things to bring to mom and dad's and cracking our windows a little to help ventilate...

Just gotta keep reminding myself we didn't lose anything to flames, and it easily could have been so so so much worse.

Pics and video of the damage in the storage units: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bt9Fb1LnRO4/

post-8517-0-51835600-1550360443_thumb.jpg

Edited by ghOsty

^^ whoa. crazy. so lucky it wasn't worse. that's intense. 

I just paid a $270 electric bill this month. I haven't adjusted the thermostat for the past month, and I only ran the dishwasher once. And I turn off all lights before heading to work. So why is it so fucking high??

maybe a bunch of hobos are using an external outlet to charge their devices? i've seen that happen in downtown portland. 

There was a fire in our apartment complex Friday evening. It was an electrical fire and it started in the first floor storage unit where all the electrical fuses and meters are, pretty much below us and across the hall and rose into the custodial closet that is literally across the hall from us. Thankful as fuck the local fire department responded quickly, no apartments were damaged by flames, and nobody got injured (although the unit next to the storage unit has some smoke damage). The storage unit is toast, we're lucky they got to it so fast.

We got an update from the apartment office this afternoon. Unfortunately the Fire Marshall declared we can't go back in until at least Monday, until our wing of the complex ventilates and air quality has improved. Fortunately my parents live about 5 minutes away and they're taking us in until we can return. Power isn't back on yet but they're hoping to get it on before then. Electric guys have been working on it all day. This really sucks but I understand why we can't go back in, even stopping in to grab some clothes and things to bring to my parents' place and it got hard to breathe in there. We're most likely gonna need professional cleaning done to the carpets and walls...

FFS, I was so looking forward to going home and relaxing on Friday evening after a long week. I've spent maybe 15-20 minutes in my apartment this whole weekend just grabbing some things to bring to mom and dad's and cracking our windows a little to help ventilate...

Just gotta keep reminding myself we didn't lose anything to flames, and it easily could have been so so so much worse.

Pics and video of the damage in the storage units: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bt9Fb1LnRO4/

I've been following this on the book of faces, sorry to hear you're going through that. But definitely lucky it wasn't much worse! 

Yeah, it was quite a shock when I went back in today to grab clothes and stuff seeing the store room and just how close it came, and how it easily could have spread. We're super fucking lucky it contained to the room across the hall. I'll deal with smoke and cleaning (insurance told us the apartment management company is obligated to cover that as smoke is a health hazard), at least I still have all my stuff.

Edited by ghOsty

Yeah, it was quite a shock when I went back in today to grab clothes and stuff seeing the store room and just how close it came, and how it easily could have spread. We're super fucking lucky it contained to the room across the hall. I'll deal with smoke and cleaning (insurance told us the apartment management company is obligated to cover that as smoke is a health hazard), at least I still have all my stuff.

Very scary stuff. I'm happy to hear there were no casualties, who knows what could have happened if the fire broke out overnight. ugh.

^^ whoa. crazy. so lucky it wasn't worse. that's intense. 

I just paid a $270 electric bill this month. I haven't adjusted the thermostat for the past month, and I only ran the dishwasher once. And I turn off all lights before heading to work. So why is it so fucking high??

maybe a bunch of hobos are using an external outlet to charge their devices? i've seen that happen in downtown portland. 

There's an outlet to a post right where I park my car outside, but I've had the breaker to it in the OFF position since I moved into the place almost three years ago. But we have had issues with vagrants around the complex. Just seems like the electric company is charging more than they did the last year or two, although February seems to be the peak month for some reason. Tends to fluctuate in a seasonal sine-wave pattern, as during the months of July and August the bill is as low as the $25 range.

Anyway, glad to hear you and your belongings made it out unscathed gh0sty.

Yeah good on ya ghost, glad you have fam nearby to help get you through.

I'm trying to get my laptop to recognize the micro-sd card + adapter thingy > card reader slot and it's like a 30-year flashback to NES cartridge bullshit.  It'll make those default Windows connect/disconnect sounds but about 75% of the time it never even shows up as a drive under computer.  The other 25% it shows up but shits the bed when trying to access, and about half of those times it crashes windows explorer.

my cheap mr. coffee machine seems broke, takes like 20 mins to make 4 cups now. Tryin to consume these gourmet beans but dey be brewin at a snail's pace. GODDAMMIT! 

his peeno has lockjaw, cockjaw. he's a lil slackjaw this morning. 

Went to what Yelp told me was a nice cozy breakfast nook this morning, and they had no blueberry syrup, or rasbo jam! GODDAMMIT!

Saw every gaspar noe film on the big screen, including carne. Met him and had lengthy conversations twice. Pumped out some kids and moved out of a cultural hub. Have followed and wanted to see this well before Cannes 18. Now a24 releasing in a couple weeks but nowhere near me. So late. After every other territory already has for rental/blu-Ray. Now stuck with either buying multi-region or waiting for it to be released in summer on amazon or kanopy for free...in 4 months. Wasn’t until now that I developed a love/hate relationship with a24. Why so late on this one?

Edit (accidentally wrote Exit): it’s my own fault for moving. I’ll have a mediocre screening of it on my 55 in plasma eventually. With poor sound.

Edited by frankbooth

Is it better than Love? Huge fan of Enter The Void (had to navigate the German version of Amazon to source a region B bluray with English audio and without burnt-in subtitles, then it got stolen and had to buy a second one) so blindly bought Love on Bluray and only made it 30 minutes through due to the horrendous acting and non-existent-anything to keep me gripped. So I'm now a bit hesitant on the man ....

Is it better than Love? Huge fan of Enter The Void (had to navigate the German version Amazon to source a region B bluray with English audio and without burnt-in subtitles, then it got stolen and had to buy a second one) so blindly bought Love on Bluray and only made it 30 minutes through due to the horrendous acting and non-existent-anything to keep me gripped. So I'm now a bit hesitant on the man ....

Yeah, the acting in Love and Climax is less than ideal. I’ve only watched Enter the Void once but I really liked it and have been meaning to watch it again for the past... 5 years.

But Climax is just like his other movies. You can’t possibly recommend it to anyone but you kinda want to.

just got back from the hospital... my grampa got some tests done and the results confirm our worst expectations... his peanis too meanis

Sorry to hear that about your gramps, that's a tough diagnosis to beat. Hoping your gramps can lend a hand.

Found some really cool unknown, fairly original black metal/noise hybrid band that got me instantly hooked in (looking up a lyric phrase to see if it was already in use by someone else).  Anyway, after looking up some of their music on youtube and seeing examples of other vids they liked, I was getting some neo-nazi vibes.  Then I did some googling to see if I could find some downloads because it's awesome music regardless, and the first site I clicked on was some neo-nazi subforum thing where the band was mentioned in some throwaway comment.  It is kind of interesting peering into that culture every now and again, seeing the casual forum banter not so unlike here, but replace Autechre with Hitler and dank memes with... well, different dank memes.  I guess the moral of the story here is that a lot of cool dark/noisy music is made by misanthropic twits, unsurprisingly.  

Edited by Zephyr_Nova