IGNORED

stupid first world problems you're dealing with

Guest KY

the problem with cctv is that it usually needs witness corroboration due to the quality being too grainy to be actual undeniable evidence. i am one of the only 5 people in 2009 to get convicted selling weed purely on cctv camera evidence cos it was a brand new ultra high quality camera. even if its obviously him, you need a certain resolution to convict.

There was a club full of witnesses too though =(

Here is the article

http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/10/29/cowardly-killer-jailed--10-years-for-fatal-stabbing-of-man-23-at-northeast-calgary-bar

Edit: I know I'm just being overly angry because it's my buddy that got stabbed. Hard not to feel mad at the justice system though..

Edited by StephenG

A good first line is usually to say "hello"

what about the second through infinityth lines?

Talk about whatever catches your fancy. If she's worth your time, she'll listen and talk back. Helps if you reciprocate. And remember that partners are not always going to want to talk about the same thing over and over again - if you want to talk about the hi-hat sound Tiesto uses for his snurr rsh for the thousandth time, tht's what xltronic is fer.

Impromptu family gathering. Parents' fridge stops working. Answer: EAT ALL OF THE THINGS (plus drink all of the wine to wash it down).

Had to go lie down and rest my bulging gut. A restless night's sleep, sweating like Peter Andre on Countdown, followed.

And now I have to go to work.

Definitely going to.... I just don't understand how our justice system is so lenient and undervalues life by so much... =(

he probably took a "plea deal", basically "I'll admit I'm guilty for a reduced sentence" which doesn't make sense to me, how can admitting guilt for something like that get you less of a charge? (happens often though...)

Holy shit, that's insane

Are you in Ontario? Recently a many-times-convicted rapist was released on a technicality, despite him being on record saying that he was going to rape more people. This was about 5 minutes walk from my street in Hamilton. Thankfully after about a week he was picked up again after committing some minor offense. But that week, the local community had the biggest collective WTF?! you could imagine.

Unfortunately I am also related by marriage to another chronic sexual abuser of random women, who thankfully was put away recently. But again, not for nearly long enough - because of a plea deal. We are almost hoping something happens to him in jail to ensure he stays behind bars longer. Having someone like that as a relative does awful things to a family, my missus grew up with this guy and played with him every day as a kid, with genuinely happy memories of him - and now has to deal with the fact that he's a genuine danger to society. Mad shit.

Perhaps crappy justice is an Ontario thing?

Worked all night at the mall building the santa kiosk. They had a 3 minute ad loop playing with very audible audio the whole night and the security guard said there was no way to turn it off. Even though the PC it was running on did an automatic restart at 4 in the morning.

Fuck the mall

I'm in Alberta actually... I gather that our system is too lenient country wide. I'm not advocating serious time for minor crimes, but for taking someone's life, rape, etc? Our system is a joke when it comes to those in my opinion..

Sorry to hear about your situation too. That would be really tough having a family member like that, with the stigma surrounding that... And to get off on a technicality? jesus...

This is just being reported now:

"He said he and defence counsel Hersh Wolch reached a plea bargain on a manslaughter charge because of difficulties proving the identity of the killer."

it

I don't understand this at all. The court is convinced enough of his guilt to send him to jail, but just kidding we're not officially convinced of anything, so we're going to send this guy who might not be the killer to jail for less time. Am I missing something here, or is that the logic behind the sentencing?

That is so fucked up. Sorry to hear the terrible news, SG.

"He said he and defence counsel Hersh Wolch reached a plea bargain on a manslaughter charge because of difficulties proving the identity of the killer."

it

I don't understand this at all. The court is convinced enough of his guilt to send him to jail, but just kidding we're not officially convinced of anything, so we're going to send this guy who might not be the killer to jail for less time. Am I missing something here, or is that the logic behind the sentencing?

Exactly the "logic"! And all of this is on surveillance cameras...

I hope his family appeals the sentencing... Thanks for the support though (everyone). Glad I'm not alone in thinking this is messed up.

ergh...new fwp.

one of my closest friends was murdered a while ago... completely targeted, completely pre-mediated....

and the murderer was just sentenced to 10yrs.... And knowing Canada's legal system the asshole will get out in 3-5 years on "good behaviour"... Know what's good behaviour??? NOT MURDERING PEOPLE.

Even the police say the attack was "targeted" aka pre-meditated, which should therefore be 25 years not 10 (somehow the guy got a "manslaughter" charge which is reserved for incidental death, not planned murders?) so I'm kind of pissed off....

This is so horrible, i can't even put it into words. Just stay as far away as possible from this person

Definitely going to.... I just don't understand how our justice system is so lenient and undervalues life by so much... =(

he probably took a "plea deal", basically "I'll admit I'm guilty for a reduced sentence" which doesn't make sense to me, how can admitting guilt for something like that get you less of a charge? (happens often though...)

Now THAT is some bullshit. I'm really sorry to hear that man. I read the article in the Calgary Sun and the fact that there were multiple witnesses, security camera footage (however grainy, although my bosses own nightclubs and the cameras in there can see if someones pulling a bag of coke out of their pocket on the other side of the room) and a man is dead in an establishment... That's not enough to convict a man on murder charges?! THE FUCK?

PLUS he was caught with a big hunk o' meth and weapons... That is just a poor court decision, the man deserves 25 to life for the murder alone and shorter tack-on's for the dope and guns. Guns are one thing, meth is a harmful and horrid chemical... but they ain't equivalent together with manslaughter/murder.

I have a friend who went down for some fairly large, but not harmful, drug sales. He sold large amounts of LSD, MDMA and a few other psychedelics. He was caught when someone competing with him in business gave his info to the police. He is still awaiting sentencing and is looking at 15-20 years for the sale of harmless (IMO, don't get on a high horse or you defend the problem) drugs and alluding uncle sam's taxes with illegally begotten money. Anyways, the next court case that day after his initial arraignment with the judge and such was a drunk driver who ran over an old man, killing him, and injuring his own 3 children in the car pretty badly at the same time when he crashed. He got 7 years... This world is fucked.

:catrage:

Edited by Audioblysk

yep. The judges don't really have a choice in sentencing though do they as far as minimums go, that's up to the legislators, who are all drugs are bad freaks. It's funny to think though that the mortally irresponsible and downright evil amongst us would be doing less time alongside some basically good, entrepreneurial kid who's business blew up which got got him noticed by those with less scruples who are therefore more evil and probably should then be in prison in his place.

Also, pity the poor mall workers that have to be there during the day listening to that crap. In the supermarket that i usually visit they have added on two aisle ends, looped video commercials for some cleaning crap or something, very sad move.

ergh...new fwp.

one of my closest friends was murdered a while ago... completely targeted, completely pre-mediated....

and the murderer was just sentenced to 10yrs.... And knowing Canada's legal system the asshole will get out in 3-5 years on "good behaviour"... Know what's good behaviour??? NOT MURDERING PEOPLE.

Even the police say the attack was "targeted" aka pre-meditated, which should therefore be 25 years not 10 (somehow the guy got a "manslaughter" charge which is reserved for incidental death, not planned murders?) so I'm kind of pissed off....

This is so horrible, i can't even put it into words. Just stay as far away as possible from this person

Now THAT is some bullshit. I'm really sorry to hear that man. I read the article in the Calgary Sun and the fact that there were multiple witnesses, security camera footage (however grainy, although my bosses own nightclubs and the cameras in there can see if someones pulling a bag of coke out of their pocket on the other side of the room) and a man is dead in an establishment... That's not enough to convict a man on murder charges?! THE FUCK?

PLUS he was caught with a big hunk o' meth and weapons... That is just a poor court decision, the man deserves 25 to life for the murder alone and shorter tack-on's for the dope and guns. Guns are one thing, meth is a harmful and horrid chemical... but they ain't equivalent together with manslaughter/murder.

I have a friend who went down for some fairly large, but not harmful, drug sales. He sold large amounts of LSD, MDMA and a few other psychedelics. He was caught when someone competing with him in business gave his info to the police. He is still awaiting sentencing and is looking at 15-20 years for the sale of harmless (IMO, don't get on a high horse or you defend the problem) drugs and alluding uncle sam's taxes with illegally begotten money. Anyways, the next court case that day after his initial arraignment with the judge and such was a drunk driver who ran over an old man, killing him, and injuring his own 3 children in the car pretty badly at the same time when he crashed. He got 7 years... This world is fucked.

:catrage:

ugh.... that cat throwing the table about sums it up...

:catrage::catrage::catrage::catrage:

My CPU fan died, now i'm running a desk fan pointed at my CPU's heatsink, and it's loud. Also, I ordered a liquid cooling kit to replace the broken fan and heatsink, and finally saved up enough to buy a new EVGA Geforce GTX 970 Superclocked. So I ordered them Friday afternoon and am having to wait the whole weekend before i get them. They'll probably, and amazingly, arrive on Monday, but you know how you get when you order something online and just can't wait to get it.

I'm going to a sleep clinic tonight. I may have sleep apnea. I haven't felt refreshed from a nights rest in over a decade. It's about time I went to a sleep clinic. I have anxiety problems though, so i hope i can get to sleep within a reasonable amount of time. Maybe I'll just listen to some Biosphere or A Winged Victory for the Sullen to make me more relaxed.

I'm moving back to my parents' for a while to save money for a new bike and possibly a deposit for a house. far from an ideal state of affairs living with them but it makes sense right now. will be there for max 6 months I reckon.

aside from that fwp in of itself, and also the added consequential fwp of breaking out of my rental contract early... the thing that's bugging me more is that some of my good friends who I've gotten to know during my time in the Inner West and near the city are acting like I've died or something. like, they're saying goodbye just cos I'm moving. what the fuck? I'm still going to be around, just cos I'm going to live in the supposedly ghetto West doesn't mean I'm disappearing from the face of the earth.

this is a real problem in Sydney with city-centric people, they absolutely never venture to other parts outside of their "home" area, and if you do, it's sayonara to you. this attitude bugs me. you should feel free to go wherever you want and do whatever you want regardless of cultural divides.

it is a pain in the arse getting a bus 45 minutes out of town though, and it costs a fortune here. also means you have to be back before 10. not that i know exactly how far you are moving, but yeah, when people move out of here they come back to party and hang out, but its seriously expensive to be jumping out of town all the time.

I get that, but it kind of doesn't make sense because, as I keep re-enforcing to people and sounding like a broken record for it: I can go anywhere, anytime on my bike. [edit: also I work in the city, so I'm making the journey 5x a week anyway] so I'm still going to be around, even if they're not going to come all the way out to see me. but this just isn't sinking in for some people. I had one bloke who I thought was shaping up to be a good friend, told him about the move, next time I saw him at my local he just cold-shouldered me.

another friend, who is actually the bar manager at said local and whose wedding I went to in Italy a few weeks ago, is talking to me like he's not going to see me again. and when I irritatedly pointed this out he was like "well y'know maybe it's just about being nice [i.e. saying goodbye] and you shouldn't take it so negatively". idk. it does irritate me.

Edited by usagi

it

It's a matter of game theory.

The prosecutors are afraid that their case is thin and there's a chance he'll walk, so instead they offer him a deal that's appealing enough so that he'd prefer it to rolling the dice in a trial.

If there were 30 witnesses who positively ID'ed him, as well as recording the event on their phone, and they had the murder weapon with his prints and DNA on it...in that case, they would not offer a plea deal as they would know 100% that he did it and they'd have enough evidence to have 100% confidence that he'd get convicted by a jury. However, this is rarely the case.

I've learned a bit of legal theory from listening to the This American Life-shootoff podcast Serial (I recommend everyone check it out...it's the most fascinating podcast I've ever heard). But our legal system is based--for better or worse--on evidence and reasonable doubt. It's not "did he do it" or "didn't he do it" but rather "can it be proven beyond a reasonable doubt."

Now, as a thought experiment, try to imagine a better legal system. Now, without things like clairvoyant detectives or mind-reading lasers (fMRI lie-detection is allegedly in our future), thegeneral system can't really be improved much without the side effect of convicting more innocent people.

Edited by LimpyLoo

think i got in trouble with some really hardcore feminists. the story in short: a girl who underwent borderline rape, her partner kinda* forced her to suck his dick, decided to make a post about it in public on facebook, posting the story and his full name. after a slew of supporting and criticizing (the practice of public shaming) comments another feminist blogger decided to defend this practice of shaming arguing that given the fact that the legal system is incapable of dealing with such nebulous and grey cases it is imperative that women will circumvent the system and make justice themselves in similar fashion to what the girl did. i replied to that blog post saying that it's a very arbitrary and dangerous move to suggest this as an accepted practice, especially given the fact that the perpetrator may have not even understand whether what he did was wrong (hence the asterisk) this idea of justice is kinda twisted. my point was that you have to train the system to deal with such cases, to create some objectivity regarding such cases, and not fuck around with petty anarchism and public field trials.

so yeah, if i suddenly stop posting in the next few days you know what happened.

Yeah, I mean he should know it's kind wrong the moment the girl says 'I don't want to do this' or 'please stop' or, the truncated version, 'no'.

Sure, perhaps public shaming may not be the way to go about settling matters but naming him publicly is the lesser crime here. Not that I believe it's a crime if it's true.

that asterisk had to be explained some more, he didn't really physically force her, and she kinda did go along with it and only after awhile realized that what happened to her was against her will. it's really not that clear cut. moreover that time when it happened didn't end their relationship.

Edited by eugene

lol? i think it's the most difficult thing in human existence. sometimes you think you're communicating something to someone, but you can't be sure how it's interpreted, similarly your own interpretation of someone's messages can be twisted or wrong.