IGNORED

stupid first world problems you're dealing with

Guest KY

Back in 2006 I got an autographed Michael Jackson 12" for $0.50 that I am 100% sure is real (it came from a collection full of autographed records that was owned by someone who worked may have at a venue he nearly on the 1984 Victory tour, although the notes on some of the other signed records it came with suggested that she actually worked at a different outdoor venue a few towns away or was possibly a regional booking agent) but I can't sell it because his autograph hadn't fully developed yet and on top of that he was sloppy when he did this one, so it looks kind of fake compared to most of them that you see, so I think it would be hard to get it professionally authenticated (also expensive, because it's one of the most frequently counterfeit autographs around), but if it isn't authenticated I'd be lucky to get half market value.

A bandmate of mine is a record dealer and gets all kinds of instruments and stereo equipment incidentally to his record buying. A few years ago he got a Juno 60 in showroom condition with a case and a MIDI interface for next to nothing, I don't know the exact figure but it's the cost of a decent dinner for two at a classy but not high end restaurant. Under $100. I tried to convince him to trade the Juno for the Michael Jackson record tonight since they're of comparable value (an unauthenticated Billie Jean 12" with an autograph should be between $1000 and $2000 based on the prices they usually go for these days, but 2-3 times that if it's fully verified and has a certificate and everything) and he didn't go for it.

That's all a pretty first world problem on multiple levels if you ask me.

post-19174-0-77911300-1518752731_thumb.jpg

"From

XO Michael Jackson XO

Shelly [or Shelby?]

Foxboro Mass 1984"

Later in his career those XO marks were usually stars or sparkles, in similar positions.

Really I just want to have it completely authenticated and documented, put it under museum glass, send it to my parents and then sell it in 20 years and buy a really, really nice car or put a downpayment on a house or something.  Barring complete, global social collapse in the mean time (a definite possibility) that's a pretty safe bet, the value of his autograph has already gone up about 10x since last time I researched this the week after he died.

Edited by RSP

dude keep the wacko jacko record, it will only go up in price i'm sure

I just want to be able to prove it's real if I ever do need to sell it (I didn't really expect him to trade the Juno, and when he offered to sell the Juno with my help and then use the money to buy the record that he could resell for more that I could because he owns a store, I said no).

Edit: what I should really do is see if I can find a concrete historical connection between that record and all of the drama surrounding the 1984 Michael Jackson tour, Sullivan Stadium in Foxboro, and the New England Patriots back in '84 because I didn't know about any of that until this week (because I really couldn't care less about football or Foxboro and I'm pretty neutral on Michael Jackson as well) but if there's a verifiable connection there then this thing might literally be my retirement plan - the fact that it was signed in Foxboro but the actual show was cancelled means that the person who got it signed was almost definitely an insider in the whole thing (IIRC one of the much less exciting signed Patty Larkin records thanked her for her help and mentioned Great Woods, which wasn't far away from Foxboro).  Probably not likely though.  Either way, not bad for half a buck.

Anyhow, this is the record nerd version of "a record setting bass jumped right into my boat on its own" so I'll take any excuse I can find to talk about it.

Edited by RSP

i'd like to go get some bali shag tobacco and roll my own but i'm not healthy enough to smoke. and i know i'd be quickly instantly addicted to the ritual of roll your own tobacco and i don't have time for that whole scenario. 

I like getting jacked up on caffeine to work on music, but then I can't concentrate on what I'm doing. For instance, I'm posting in this thread.

I need to find a new job by spring (May), but I'm worried I'm not skilled enough to find something decent, even with a college degree.

(Pretty sure I posted this before. Oh well)

Whener I actually manage to sit down and make music for a couple of hours I have a really good time, but I never do it anymore because my brain keeps telling me everything I make is utter shite that nobody would ever want to listen to. My brain is an asshole. Literally.

Edited by Gocab

The key is to realize the music everyone else makes is utter shite and the only music worth making is your own.  That's how RDJ stays so productive.

FWP I seem to be extremely busy not making money.

*reads a lot more like third world problem in retrospect...

Edited by Zephyr_Nova

The key is to realize the music everyone else makes is utter shite and the only music worth making is your own.

actually tho

imo a key developmental moment for me was when i started to become obsessed with my own flavour, and music went from being "thing i must get good at to prove myself to the world" to being an endlessly expanding world to explore, that you can add little bits to at any time, regardless of external circumstance. there's no right or wrong, just whatever is going on in the world around you being filtered through you & re-emerging as a particular sound

wow music

anyway fwp: it's my birthday this weekend (pisces club woop woop 27 club woop woop), and i dunno if i wanna go out & party (DVS1 at stereo most likely) or work all my scheduled friday saturday sunday shifts. like in theory i wanna go party but i've also been really growing to appreciate the grind, working six nights a week at the restaurant & slowly learning how to cook stuff. last few times i went out to a club i just felt like i gave up a good night's sleep & a decent amount of energy & twenty bucks to an evil monster that doesn't give a shit about me or my dreams. could this be what getting old feels like.

Ever get that feeling a higher power is fucking with you or someone put some kinda curse on you?

After managing to find a new place to live after a month of stress AND getting an unexpected chunk of cash for my CD collection, my cat appears to be sick. Literally the day before I plan to move her to the new place.

from chat:

She threw up her breakfast but I think that was just wolfing it down. Turns out I forgot to feed her last night. She has dry food all the time but I forgot her half a can of wet food in the evening. Got home drunk

She does that all the time and she seemed fine after

About 2hrs ago she went into sick cat mode. She's drooling and sneezing and isolating herself

After I cleaned her puke I sprayed some Method down. Wondering if she licked it. It's non toxic but I bet it doesn't make u feel gr8 if u drink it

I put her in her bed and left her sleeping. Gone out for some food. Otherwise I'd sit and anxiety sperge over her

Yeah she seems better when I got back like 5-6hrs later. Her breathing sounds funny but she's alert and grooming herself etc.

When she nearly died when she was 6 months she had the 1000 yard stare gwanin and was completely unresponsive and cloudy eyed

no idea. We took her to the vet and he pretty much said she was probably gonna die.

She stayed there twice, eventually recovered. Vet took nearly £400 off us but when asked what was wrong with her what we got was ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Which is why I'm hoping she'll just get over it/is under the weather a bit. Really don't want to give this cash I just made to a vet for no reason.

ugh. I get pissy with the RSPCA when they give me the same treatment. sometimes they handle cases with the bedside manner of a factory assembly line worker - meat goes in, meat comes out. it's especially galling with them because their whole thing is protecting animals and I've actually had one of my cats die while in their care.