IGNORED

stupid first world problems you're dealing with

Guest KY

13 minutes ago, chenGOD said:

Clearly not. Context matters in language and grammar, and the word direct in means exactly that in a noun of direct address. 
A noun of direct address is the person directly being spoken to or written to. 

Clearly this is not the case in this sentence. 

Ridiculous, chenGOD. Your grammatical understanding is clearly minimal. I am disappointed.

the Pedantry has spoken! You're all sentenced to 3 hours in WATMM Detention reviewing Bryan A. Garner's A Dictionary of Modern American Usage

If you'd like to read a review of this work, as well as engaging looks at other real world grammar related topics, I recommend:

"Authority and American Usage"
A 62-page review of Bryan A. Garner's A Dictionary of Modern American Usage. Wallace applies George Orwell's "Politics and the English Language" to grammar and the conditions of class and power in millennial American communication. While discussing the difference between descriptive and prescriptive grammar, Wallace digresses to discuss the legitimacy of Ebonics as opposed to "white male" standard English. Originally published as "Tense Present: Democracy, English and Wars over Usage" in the April 2001 issue of Harper's Magazine.[3]
Edited by ignatius
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, dingformung said:

Ridiculous, chenGOD. Your grammatical understanding is clearly minimal. I am disappointed.

Sorry I disappointed you, dingformung. I’m not wrong though. 
Unless you consider google to be in the room at all times through his pixel. Even then, the point is largely moot as English doesn’t use the vocative case anymore. 

• Facepalm 1

41 minutes ago, chenGOD said:

Sorry I disappointed you, dingformung. I’m not wrong though. 
Unless you consider google to be in the room at all times through his pixel. Even then, the point is largely moot as English doesn’t use the vocative case anymore. 

English grammar doesn't care whether someone is in the same room as you.  Or should I use the pronoun "them" since we aren't speaking face to face ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It has to be written or said directly to the noun in question. This was a general “fuck you google”. 
Not hard to pick up. Also, see ignatius’ post about prescriptive vs descriptive grammar and understand that context matters. 

28 minutes ago, chenGOD said:

It has to be written or said directly to the noun in question. This was a general “fuck you google”. 
Not hard to pick up. Also, see ignatius’ post about prescriptive vs descriptive grammar and understand that context matters. 

i was mostly relishing in the opportunity to link that DFW review. When i got that book, "Consider the Lobster", i'd assumed that review would be one boring read but it's actually a real fun page turner that blew my mind.

42 minutes ago, chenGOD said:

If I want to get someone's attention, then I say something like:  "Listen!"  If I want to specify an individual so I don't alert people to whom my announcement isn't relevant, then I'll say:  "Listen, Slavoj!"  Similarly, if I want to say the phrase "fuck you" to someone specific, then I'll say:  "Fuck you, Slavoj!"  According to you, if I'm reading an article on interpassivity and its implications on the way that I use machines, and I become enraged at the critique of technological integration, addressing the author who is not present, then I say:  "Fuck you Slavoj!"  So the comma goes away as soon as the person leaves the room.

What, then, is the correct punctuation if I'm saying "I'll never forget you" to a dead body at a funeral ?  Should I put the comma in parenthesis ?  Or what if I'm talking to someone who is listening to music on headphones and doesn't hear me ?  Does the comma only appear when the statement is heard ?

Edited by drillkicker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/12/2020 at 7:54 PM, chenGOD said:

Trying to make Manhattans tonight but am forced to drink them with no maraschino cherries as garnish like some sort of gutter dwelling peasant. 

Maraschino cherries are one of the foulest fucking things you can eat. They taste alright, but they have to dye them because of the liquid they're kept in strips their color.

17 hours ago, Cryptowen said:

for me it's just endless jordan peterson content. my understanding is that JP & other "alt-lite" content is like the heinz ketchup of dissident political movements, being widely promoted as a safe outlet for young men who might otherwise fall into the political equivalent of grandpa's special spicy sauce.

Yeah, that guy too. I am so so so thankful that I stumbled upon logicalfallacies.info because I wasn't taught any critical thinking skills by anyone, and being able to identity logical fallacies in very valuable when listening to dipshits like JP and BS.

Aside: JP means Jurassic Park, personally.

1 hour ago, drillkicker said:

If I want to get someone's attention, then I say something like:  "Listen!"  If I want to specify an individual so I don't alert people to whom my announcement isn't relevant, then I'll say:  "Listen, Slavoj!"  Similarly, if I want to say the phrase "fuck you" to someone specific, then I'll say:  "Fuck you, Slavoj!"  According to you, if I'm reading an article on interpassivity and its implications on the way that I use machines, and I become enraged at the critique of technological integration, addressing the author who is not present, then I say:  "Fuck you Slavoj!"  So the comma goes away as soon as the person leaves the room.

What, then, is the correct punctuation if I'm saying "I'll never forget you" to a dead body at a funeral ?  Should I put the comma in parenthesis ?  Or what if I'm talking to someone who is listening to music on headphones and doesn't hear me ?  Does the comma only appear when the statement is heard ?

With fuck you, it doesn’t apply ever. Why would it? 
“I’ll never forget you grandma.” 
Direct means direct. If you really want to be prescriptive, then be fucking prescriptive. If the person is there and present, go ahead. 

1 hour ago, ignatius said:

i was mostly relishing in the opportunity to link that DFW review. When i got that book, "Consider the Lobster", i'd assumed that review would be one boring read but it's actually a real fun page turner that blew my mind.

It’s a fantastic book! 

1 hour ago, Braintree said:

Maraschino cherries are one of the foulest fucking things you can eat. They taste alright, but they have to dye them because of the liquid they're kept in strips their color.

Yeah, I’m aware, but a Manhattan calls for Maraschino cherries. Finally found some though!

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

We had a family dinner at the parents because it was my mom's bday. After dinner I gathered everyone around the tv to watch the KFC movie trailer. Anys, I guess the trailer is slightly sexual in nature and my nine year old nephew was there, so it ended with my mom yelling at me to turn it off: "this is not appropriate Yekker!". I was like, "I thought it was funny!...".

Should I have used a semi colon? I don't know...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chenGOD said:

It’s a fantastic book! 

it is. when i read it i thought the title story was the weakest of the bunch. I was a DFW  junky and i guess i still am.  i reread all his stuff when he died which was heavy at times. i should reread the Lobster book.  'Oblivion' is some massive heavy feels. it's the big sad IDM of books in hindsight. there's something about how he hyper considered everything from a thousand different angles. a big honeycomb of thought. 

my current fwp is not being able to figure out which modular jam to edit. distill it down to the good bits. ?

1 hour ago, chenGOD said:

Yeah, I’m aware, but a Manhattan calls for Maraschino cherries. Finally found some though!

Buddy, the last thing I would do in this time would be to prevent somebody else getting as drunk as I am, .

Solid dairy

1 hour ago, Braintree said:

Buddy, the last thing I would do in this time would be to prevent somebody else getting as drunk as I am, .

Solid dairy

Solid dairy comrade!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, yekker said:

We had a family dinner at the parents because it was my mom's bday. After dinner I gathered everyone around the tv to watch the KFC movie trailer. Anys, I guess the trailer is slightly sexual in nature and my nine year old nephew was there, so it ended with my mom yelling at me to turn it off: "this is not appropriate Yekker!". I was like, "I thought it was funny!...".

No, but your mom should have used the direct address comma. 

:cisfor:

Seriously though, this is actually a good example, as your mom surely wouldn't want to refer to you (or anyone or anything else) as "not appropriate yekker", but rather tell you, the adressee of her speech, that this was not appropriate content for your nine-year-old nephew. Although, according to @chenGOD, I guess it would depend on whether she was sitting in front of the TV with you or yekking, I mean, yelling at you from the kitchen or the patio. Heh.

It is interesting that she would call you "yekker" though, is that actually your given name?

Sorry, WATMM, a whole night's sleep, and it looks like I still haven't completely sobered up. I'll go in hiding again.

• Like 1

fwp: not sure what stance to take on the great reset. on the one hand "owning nothing & eating bugs" is pretty in line with how i've voluntarily conducted my life so far. On the other hand my instincts tell me to reject any proposal coming from a man who looks like he conducts group channeling sessions every wednesday at 6PM in the basement of the local rec centre

1605993064120.jpg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, chenGOD said:

Sorry I disappointed you, dingformung.

Don't worry about it, it's already forgiven. We have all been wrong at some point in our lives, and you should view it as an opportunity for you to grow. As Confucius once said: "Walking among three people, I find my teacher among them. I choose that which is good in them and follow it, and that which is bad and change it.".

I’m surprised you missed the key point @dingformung  (namely, I wasn’t wrong). Now it is I who is disappointed.

@Cryptowen you should view it as an opportunity to take out the largest loan possible without worrying about ever having to pay it back. I for one can’t wait until my mortgage payments are no longer a burden. 

17 hours ago, Braintree said:

I looked up "unbleached maraschino" and found a brand called Luxardo that advertises undyed,,, preservative-free maraschino cherries.

Edited by drillkicker

15 hours ago, yekker said:

The colon was correct, but periods go inside quotation marks.