IGNORED

stupid first world problems you're dealing with

Guest KY

On 12/9/2020 at 4:56 PM, zero said:

you guys with dating app profiles should post them here for us to review and critique, let you know where you've gone horribly wrong...

sxjrqn748xc41.png

• Like 4

woke up with a migraine but had called for a dept meeting at work this morning so was determined to show up and lead the crew through it. 

I felt like I was gonna hurl, did an absolutely awful job directing the meeting, and afterwards the pounding headache had become so bad that I had to leave anyway. 

mundane and embarrassing. fml

Deleted as much internet history as possible to see if I could reset youtube algorithm and get sensible recommendations.  Youtube now thinks I really love elephants.  I mean I like them but...  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, kakapo said:

Deleted as much internet history as possible to see if I could reset youtube algorithm and get sensible recommendations.  Youtube now thinks I really love elephants.  I mean I like them but...  

i don't think i've actually clicked on a joe rogan video in a few years, but he still comes up near the top every time. also any time i get nostalgic & listen to some old video game ost track i end up getting pasty gamer dude reaction videos for a solidcouple weeks.

that being said, it's usually 85% outsider music cassette rips + hour long videos about continental philosophy, so compared to the default yt recs i'm doing alright. i get kinda sketch vibes from youtube overall tho so fingers crossed that more (non-fringe, non politically-polarized) competition emerges

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cryptowen said:

i don't think i've actually clicked on a joe rogan video in a few years, but he still comes up near the top every time. also any time i get nostalgic & listen to some old video game ost track i end up getting pasty gamer dude reaction videos for a solidcouple weeks.

that being said, it's usually 85% outsider music cassette rips + hour long videos about continental philosophy, so compared to the default yt recs i'm doing alright. i get kinda sketch vibes from youtube overall tho so fingers crossed that more (non-fringe, non politically-polarized) competition emerges

B*n Sh#piro videos began appearing today.  I've never searched for him through any medium.  I think the only thing I've seen of him was his embarrassing O'Neil interview.  All my subscriptions are music and science based.  Im in the UK.  I got a new phone recently and it couldn't work out what news to try and spam me with until I'd watched a couple of pbs spacetime videos.  After that it spammed me every morning with shit like 'the Milky Way is on a collision course and you won't believe what it means for life on earth.' I dont even need to open it to know its clickbait bollocks about the largely peaceful merging with Andromeda in several billion years time that has zero implications for life on earth.  But apply that same paradigm to politics and 'news' and its not difficult to see how insidious it is, and why its one of the reasons the uk and us are in such a mess.

I've never searched for him either, but I used to get fed a lot of that alt-right bullshit. Just from using it over the years, I think it's pretty easy to start getting those videos in comparison to anything left leaning. Very odd.

16 minutes ago, kakapo said:

B*n Sh#piro videos began appearing today.  I've never searched for him through any medium.  I think the only thing I've seen of him was his embarrassing O'Neil interview.  All my subscriptions are music and science based.  Im in the UK.  I got a new phone recently and it couldn't work out what news to try and spam me with until I'd watched a couple of pbs spacetime videos.  After that it spammed me every morning with shit like 'the Milky Way is on a collision course and you won't believe what it means for life on earth.' I dont even need to open it to know its clickbait bollocks about the largely peaceful merging with Andromeda in several billion years time that has zero implications for life on earth.  But apply that same paradigm to politics and 'news' and its not difficult to see how insidious it is, and why its one of the reasons the uk and us are in such a mess.

Google Pixel doesn't come with something so basic as a cable to connect to a computer via usb, so I'm sending a video I just recorded to my lap top via bluetooth and it's taking fucking forever.  Fuck you google; suck my dick.  Did I use the semicolon right?

8 hours ago, Braintree said:

I've never searched for him either, but I used to get fed a lot of that alt-right bullshit.

for me it's just endless jordan peterson content. my understanding is that JP & other "alt-lite" content is like the heinz ketchup of dissident political movements, being widely promoted as a safe outlet for young men who might otherwise fall into the political equivalent of grandpa's special spicy sauce.

2 hours ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

Google Pixel doesn't come with something so basic as a cable to connect to a computer via usb, so I'm sending a video I just recorded to my lap top via bluetooth and it's taking fucking forever.  Fuck you google; suck my dick.  Did I use the semicolon right?

It froze at 25% and I want to punch 1000 faces.

7 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

It froze at 25% and I want to punch 1000 faces.

Pixel > Dropbox > laptop? 

or record the pixel’s screen with the webcam that’s built into your laptop screen. 
Or if you have a scanner go through the video frame by frame, scanning each one and then reanimate them. 

Edited by user

hahaha, some good ideas.  I'm taking your dropbox suggestion and replacing it with wetransfer.  This was so obvious I never would have thought of it.  Almost done uploading in the time it took me to write this... totally done now.

Edited by Zephyr_Nova

5 hours ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

A comma would have sufficed imho; or rather, two commas, as there should be one between you and google as well, making the correct sentence, "Fuck you, [G]oogle, suck my dick." Also, an exclamation mark would not be untoward.

• Farnsworth 1

6 hours ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

I use a USB flash drive that has 3.1 on one end and USB-C on the other.  I let my Pixel format the drive and then simply transfer files through it.  It's very quick and easy, and I only paid about $10 for the 64GB drive.

I would not recommend cloud services, and I would also strongly recommend installing Graphene onto your Pixel like I did.

3 hours ago, IDEM said:

A comma would have sufficed imho; or rather, two commas, as there should be one between you and google as well, making the correct sentence, "Fuck you, [G]oogle, suck my dick." Also, an exclamation mark would not be untoward.

You don’t need the comma between you and google. These are two imperative clauses that would ordinarily be joined with the conjunction “and”. In such a case you would write “Fuck you google, and suck my dick.”  Here we have simply elided the conjunction and a comma suffices. 

Happy Grammar for Happy Life. 

• Facepalm 1

11 minutes ago, chenGOD said:

You don’t need the comma between you and google. These are two imperative clauses that would ordinarily be joined with the conjunction “and”. In such a case you would write “Fuck you google, and suck my dick.”  Here we have simply elided the conjunction and a comma suffices. 

Happy Grammar for Happy Life. 

I'm afraid that is incorrect.

Tried to rent the new Zappa movie from one of the four streaming services I subscribe to. Turns out it won't be available here until February.

Now I have to wait for the torrent to finish downloading.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chenGOD said:

Actually yes. The first clause is declarative. The rest of my point stands. 

It's called a "direct address comma", you can look it up. It's the same as in "Yes, sir", "Sean, pls" or "Fuck me, IDEM, you're actually right".

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

I take issue with the comma before Google because it reads like a pause.

You're free to take issue with any rule whatsoever, of course; doesn't make the rule itself less valid though. ? 

But with grammatical rules at least, if enough people take issue with them, chances are they will become extinct over time. Grammar is subject to change, after all.

5 hours ago, IDEM said:

English tends to be much less strict than German when it comes to comma placement. Rule of thumb is you can do whatever the fuck you want as long as it reads well. But you are still right.

Using an exclamation mark for all imperatives is also a German thing and not necessarily done in English. And even in German nobody does it.

Edited by dingformung