IGNORED

stupid first world problems you're dealing with

Guest KY

6 hours ago, ignatius said:

are there non-catholic saints?  i know there's anointed types in different religions but do they call them saints? were you even referring to saints of a religious nature or did i assume that? shame on me. 

Yes, of the Christian churches at least Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox branches and Anglicans have saints. Protestant branches generally don't have canonized saints I guess but some people are just called saints if they were particularly exemplary.

Outside Christianity it kind of just depends what gets translated to saint, I guess? Islam has saints called wali, etc. Afro-Caribbean religions like Santeria and Vodou basically adopted the Catholic saints.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Farnsworth 1

6 hours ago, drillkicker said:

John Peel is dead

(Also I'm not a Catholic)

His victims may not be dead yet, though. Maybe they reached the legal age of consent by now.

Imagine you were abused in your childhood and see that the person who raped you gets constantly praised and honoured despite that it's known what he did. Would probably make you feel like there is no justice and that society doesn't give a shit about child abuse.

11 hours ago, dingformung said:

The dude boned 13-year olds and was married to a 15-year-old (how is that even possible?)

They got married in Texas so I guess it was legal there at the time? By far he isn't the only musician, artist or writer living in US who had a teenage wife. Poe famously married his 13-year old cousin. I don't really know how I should feel about that because I really like his short stories. Is it so far in the past that it's ok? Different times and all.

But I started to think about this.. hmm..  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teenage_Kicks

Influential BBC Radio 1 DJ John Peel is known to have repeatedly stated "Teenage Kicks" to be his all-time favourite song from 1978 until his death in 2004. When he first played the song on his show on 25 September, he played the song twice (something he had never previously done). Peel also specifically requested sections of the lyrics of the song be engraved upon his tombstone. The song has also been ranked as the second best indie song of all time in a 2016 poll conducted by an alternative music radio station.

Edited by zkom
  • Confused 1

It's a good tune.  Singer's got a pretty unique vibratto.  Chord changes already got their fair due in every other song from the 50's/The Ramones, but I guess there's a reason songwriters glommed onto them.  The word "glommed" doesn't get its fair due.

4 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

It's a good tune.  Singer's got a pretty unique vibratto.  Chord changes already got their fair due in every other song from the 50's/The Ramones, but I guess there's a reason songwriters glommed onto them.  The word "glommed" doesn't get its fair due.

It just has that creepy feel in hindsight like watching some of Michael Jackson's videos and ads from the '80s.

Like this Pepsi ad where MJ finds a young boy in his dressing room. I'm sure it wasn't meant like that or that MJ had that much control of the script but jfc

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

See also

31 minutes ago, rhmilo said:

See also

I guess young adult guys dating teenagers was much more common thing a few decades ago. I even remember at the sort Finnish version of junior high school back in the 90s, where the kids are 12-16 years old, that some of the girls boyfriends came to pick them up with cars. The age limit for driving cars in Finland is 18.. The teachers just joked about it. I don't think that shit would fly today.

3 hours ago, dingformung said:

His victims may not be dead yet, though. Maybe they reached the legal age of consent by now.

Imagine you were abused in your childhood and see that the person who raped you gets constantly praised and honoured despite that it's known what he did. Would probably make you feel like there is no justice and that society doesn't give a shit about child abuse.

Roman Polanski. They need to give him a pass, now. 

4 hours ago, dingformung said:

They'll be dead soon enough

17 hours ago, drillkicker said:

Fuck you, chen is all you need.

ahhh the ambiguity of it all.

21 hours ago, ignatius said:

ugh. just found out that Peel was apparently a predator perv. do i scratch out the 'peel' on my peel sessions so they just say sessions? ?

i guess old news. being american i only experienced the revery of john peel 3rd hand. still. it sucks to find out someone held in such high esteem is of course totally flawed in a tragic sad horrible way.  fuck you heroes i guess. 

I think predator perv is a bit of an exaggeration. He banged and married a 15 year old in 1965 when he was 24 (sexual revolution was beginning, different societal context) and apparently got a BJ on more than one occasion from a younger girl when groupies were throwing themselves at famous people in the music industry.

So yes he fucked up, but I think it's a stretch to say he was a predator. Nothing that I've read indicates that he actively stalked teenage girls or groomed them or what have you. He's also been dead for some time now...so I think you're ok in enjoying his selections. Just my opinion though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

they told me that on dec 21th the timeline would reset & i'dwake up in 2012 as my younger self with all my memories intact

wtf

i was gonna buy stock in monster energy drink

Edited by Cryptowen
  • Sad 1

Trying to build a kernel module for my raspberry pi so it can use this old steinberg midex interface. I have no fucking clue what I'm doing and I'm pretty sure that even if I get it to work after copy/pasting commands into the terminal I will have learned nothing and won't be able to replicate it.  

15 minutes ago, user said:

Trying to build a kernel module for my raspberry pi so it can use this old steinberg midex interface. I have no fucking clue what I'm doing and I'm pretty sure that even if I get it to work after copy/pasting commands into the terminal I will have learned nothing and won't be able to replicate it.  

./configure && make && make install 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, rhmilo said:

./configure && make && make install 

Yeah, that doesn't work. There was no config to begin with, now there is but apparently I need to install header files which I can't get to using apt-get. 

4 hours ago, user said:

Yeah, that doesn't work. There was no config to begin with, now there is but apparently I need to install header files which I can't get to using apt-get. 

Kernel header files, you mean? Aren’t those in [kernel]-devel anymore? 

that’s where they used to be back when I did his sort of stuff.