IGNORED

GESCOM - Skull Snap

Redruth

Slightly OT, but the actual Skull Snaps album (as in, the funk band) was just recently re-released on CD in a classy thick pseudo LP sleeve on one of those many 70s-ish reissue labels. I might pick it up, seems real fun and a good historical RELIC as they say. And the packaging is nice.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So is there still no hint of a digital release? If vinyl is the only option I will pirate the motherfucking shit out of it and not feel the least bit bad. Makes me so goddamn mad not being able to pay for the music I love because the artists are snobby twats.

So is there still no hint of a digital release? If vinyl is the only option I will pirate the motherfucking shit out of it and not feel the least bit bad. Makes me so goddamn mad not being able to pay for the music I love because the artists are snobby twats.

it's got nothing to do with them being 'snobby twats', that is just the way they do things. Nothing is stopping you from buying the record, just because you don't have a turntable. in fact, since it's supposed to be limited, you're being a bit stupid not buying it, if you're the profiteering type. which i have a suspicion that you are.

vinyl is the only option

the artists are snobby twats.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I thought people complained when things were released on CD instead of vinyl? Now it's the other way around?

Anyway it seems pretty plain to me that Skam and Gescom & co. are format enthusiasts and not so much snobby twats. So it follows that if you're going to be a fan of what they are doing, following their choice of format is part of that.

vinyl is the only option

I thought people complained when things were released on CD instead of vinyl? Now it's the other way around?

No, it's about people complaining when they haven't been given any options viable to them. There's a market for vinyl, cd's and digital. Only serving one will draw complaints from the others.

Any argument defending just releasing on vinyl is pure rubbish in my eyes. So much rubbish that I'm sure it'll be released digitally as well at some point in the future.

/rocket-science

vinyl is the only option

No, it's about people complaining when they haven't been given any options viable to them. There's a market for vinyl, cd's and digital. Only serving one will draw complaints from the others.

Any argument defending just releasing on vinyl is pure rubbish in my eyes. So much rubbish that I'm sure it'll be released digitally as well at some point in the future.

/rocket-science

As much as I understand where you're coming from with this - I still disagree. A lot of music is best left on certain formats, IMO. For example, you wouldn't want to listen to an 80 minute Eliane Radigue piece across four tedious sides of vinyl. I think the "arguments" about vinyl-only stuff are usually propelled by people who think the format is superior. I personally think a better word is preferable. I don't feel that I'm "winning out" if a release is vinyl-only any more than I feel that I am "losing out" on something that is CD only.

However, as Oscillik stated previously, most of Gescom's output has been on ye olde wax platters so I don't understand how anyone can be remotely surprised/angry about this one.

We're living in a new era now. A digital release complements any vinyl greatly because digital shit is mobile. We can and want to take music with us wherever we go. Enslaving people to worship the turntable is stupid, in my opinion...

You don't understand how anyone can be surprised/angry? (angry is the wrong word - disappointed is better) How about a "Get along with the times, old timer!" Lots has changed since the beginning of the nineties. I think the argument that people shouldn't be surprised this is a vinyl-only release is pretty weak. Following your reasoning people shouldn't complain either if it were a minidisc-only release. More important, most work had been available digitally from skam at one point in time. And the last releases had been released digitally as far as I can tell.

Wether certain pieces would work or not on vinyl is an entirely different discussion than wether a release would work in a digital format. Due to the physical constraints not everything will work on vinyl. True. Physical constraints with respect to the digital format (files) are almost non-existent. I really don't see how any release wouldn't work on a digital format.

detecting internet sarcasm is my top priority, and since i have failed i will not appear on this board for at least 2 weeks out of embarrassment

he was probably being sarcastic. i got that. but, doesn't take away from the fact that elusive mostly only ever shows up when there's some free shit going around. notice how he wailed and threw his dummy out of the pram when JR took away the link and he couldn't get the files. also, you can't be sure he really ordered the EP, anyway. i wouldn't bet on it, as he seems like one of those proper file-collecting-leeching-types, what i can't stand!!, tbh. they should all be shot, imho.

no, you didnt "got that" - you are attempting to take a piss on me to cover up your own embaressment of a thought.

hadnt enven read the thread - i clicked and joyrex was the last post and i read threads on backwards. posted a response to joyrex before even going back 1-2-3pages reading and looking for a link.

"elusive mostly only ever shows up when there's some free shit going around."

"i wouldn't bet on it, as he seems like one of those proper file-collecting-leeching-types,"

stinky cologne you are wearing with those remarks. it's sweating through your blouse.

it would be wise to add any sort of proof. fairly certain i share more here than ive asked forr (and i have the copyright warning figures from joyrex to prve it).

care to add some weight to your claim that i leech and hoard?

XoSfS.jpg

XG1MA.jpg

warranted you a response, ha! enjoy the newfound popularity from your peers.

lol, what are you on about... :crazy:

but thanks for taking the time to respond, lol... even though i don't have any flacs to share.. i appreciate it.

What's not fair is people are starving in Africa while you are crying about a disk of vinyl. First world problem to the max.

TO. THE. MAX.

smash your Lego Feet vinyl out of respect for the starving people :derp:

no, put it on discogs or ebay and then send the money to the starving people.

or send the starving people the record... and let them eat it.

jesus christ, just buy a fucking record player! lol. and start buying the music you love on vinyl! they're not that expensive!! record players or vinyl...

carry on complaining. I'm sure they'll make it available on other formats because some watmm people want it.

yeah.

lol

yeah.

Christ, that sounds fucking mental. As in a psychotic, not brilliant.

Murder music, VHS Head influence here???

murder music? how does it sound like "murder" ? lol.

Because when it played I felt like cutting someone up with an axe. Obviously.

You don't understand how anyone can be surprised/angry? (angry is the wrong word - disappointed is better) How about a "Get along with the times, old timer!" Lots has changed since the beginning of the nineties. I think the argument that people shouldn't be surprised this is a vinyl-only release is pretty weak. Following your reasoning people shouldn't complain either if it were a minidisc-only release. More important, most work had been available digitally from skam at one point in time. And the last releases had been released digitally as far as I can tell.

Wether certain pieces would work or not on vinyl is an entirely different discussion than wether a release would work in a digital format. Due to the physical constraints not everything will work on vinyl. True. Physical constraints with respect to the digital format (files) are almost non-existent. I really don't see how any release wouldn't work on a digital format.

It is what it is! Perhaps the band just doesn't want it to leak as quickly...

And I agree with Sirch here - the format isn't exactly THAT archaic!

Everyone is worried about nothing anyway - being that it's a Gescom release, it will take no time at all for it to leak online, so even those who have bought the record, if they so desire, can simply hop onto the P2Ps and the torrents and grab the files without guilt.

Guest viscosity

yeah except it will be like to watching a film from a dv recording of its theater showing

that's probably what i'd be doing if i didn't have a record player. but I do so format isn't really a thing for me

Archived