IGNORED

Tycho - Dive

Redruth

Guest MastaN8

Maybe so people who haven't heard it yet will pick it up because it relates to something they like. So let's say "oh sounds like BOC" more people may support smaller less known artists and maybe go dance at the show. And get laid.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was listening to Hours and thinking...this is actually really doing it for me...but it reminds me of something. Then I realized it reminds me very much of an updated, maybe more dancefloor, take on Signaldrift's track Units Of Spin from Compass. And that is nothing but a massive compliment, coming from me.

Going to pick this up.

I put that on after reading this and I totally see where you're coming from.

..... no wait it sounds like this no wait it sounds like this no wait it sounds like this no wait it sounds like this no wait it sounds like this URGH, why does it matter

Don't see the problem either, really. Everyone I know usually does this when describing an act to me that I've never heard before, or a film I've never seen. 'It's a bit like X' or whatever.

I was listening to Hours and thinking...this is actually really doing it for me...but it reminds me of something. Then I realized it reminds me very much of an updated, maybe more dancefloor, take on Signaldrift's track Units Of Spin from Compass. And that is nothing but a massive compliment, coming from me.

Going to pick this up.

..... no wait it sounds like this no wait it sounds like this no wait it sounds like this no wait it sounds like this no wait it sounds like this URGH, why does it matter

Don't see the problem either, really. Everyone I know usually does this when describing an act to me that I've never heard before, or a film I've never seen. 'It's a bit like X' or whatever.

Glad I'm not the only one who hears a little Signaldrift in this! That should be seen as a positive thing anyway, since Signaldrift doesn't release nearly as much as I'd like him to anymore...so if this new Tycho effectively scratches that itch, then great! With no discredit to Tycho, of course. From initial listens I have to say he's probably made his best album yet with this one.

Going to pick this up.

Glad I'm not the only one who hears a little Signaldrift in this! That should be seen as a positive thing anyway, since Signaldrift doesn't release nearly as much as I'd like him to anymore...so if this new Tycho effectively scratches that itch, then great! With no discredit to Tycho, of course. From initial listens I have to say he's probably made his best album yet with this one.

Again, I'm with you. It was a real pleasure to hear Signaldrift's most recent album. Like you, I think he doesn't release nearly as much as I'd like him to, so I take any material of his that I can find. There's a track that sits on his myspace page, One Eleven, that I'd love to hear officially released.

As for Tycho, I totally agree on this being his best release so far, it feels like he's starting to produce his own sound. The title track of the album, Dive, is probably my favourite thing he's ever produced.

Had a chance to listen to it in it's entirety this weekend while driving, and I hate to say it, but I honestly couldn't tell where one song began and another ended - all the beats, melodies, instruments are very, very similar to each other from song to song. Has anyone else noticed this, or do I need a proper re-listen? I liked what I heard a lot, but couldn't shake the nagging feeling that each track was composed with similar instruments/effects/melodies. I dunno.

Agreed JR. He's no longer aping boc. but the melodies meander without a hook. I don't think there's a prominent beat until the fourth song.

not to say there aren't a couple decent tracks. but it's not enough. this album would be perfect for a yoga class or maybe an art gallery installation. but listening to it alone is a less than thrilling experience.

the cover art is beautiful though. very pink floydish

Had a chance to listen to it in it's entirety this weekend while driving, and I hate to say it, but I honestly couldn't tell where one song began and another ended - all the beats, melodies, instruments are very, very similar to each other from song to song. Has anyone else noticed this, or do I need a proper re-listen? I liked what I heard a lot, but couldn't shake the nagging feeling that each track was composed with similar instruments/effects/melodies. I dunno.

i didn't want to say this exact same thing out of fear of starting a tycho flame war, i figured i would respect it enough not not say anything. buuuuut i still hear tons of BoC here especially that he has added acoustic guitars after boc added acoustic guitars. parts of this sound so stereo-typical of what he is going for it almost sounds like presets, even though i know he did not use them. there are definitely some really good tracks here but i can't really take it seriously. and yea, there are some effects that are very very overused, i have trouble telling one from another as well. seems like he hasn't really progressed as much as you would think having almost 10 years between albums.

that said, there are a few tracks here that i really am enjoying currently, i just don't see myself coming back to this in the not so distant future.

I do see where you're coming from with this. I can't remember if it's Hours and Coastal Brake, or Dive and Coastal brake, but there are two songs that spring to mind that share a very similar melodies.

And to Valued Customer - are we not allowed to have opinions?

I'm really enjoying this album. Granted it's not going to change your life or really blow you away but it's just one of those great albums for listening to on any given occasion. Lush melodies and great percussion. It's a shame this didn't come out during the summer (UK).

Got this based on the good reviews here (before they started turning bad)... and I always kinda liked the Tycho sound, but never bought any of his releases because the samples always sounded the same. So, I figured I'd finally take the plunge with his latest and I'm enjoying it. Like many have said here, it all kinda blends together and serves more as a nice, relaxing 50 min. album than 10 individual songs.

Not essential by any means, but something I'll get a decent amount of plays out of over the years, I'm sure!

I actually like that sort of consistency about it...how it doesn't really sway too much around, stylistically. A mood record, for sure.

And a big hearty laugh at Valued Customer "telling on us" to Scott: Whatever you say man! I think it's hilarious how there's (for possibly the first time ever) ACTUALLY a pretty positive thread about Tycho's music here at WATMM, and then YOU'RE in here to spoil the party because we're not all #1 fans or something?

Made my otherwise boring day a bit brighter with that tidbit of amusement.

for sure this isn't a hate thread. I was hoping to love this album. and I respect that he grew, got ambitious, pursued a new direction, etc. but i got to have beats. the weaker tracks on his previous album were like this too. the beats had all kinds of cascading snares and hats with delays and what not. almost trance-ish. the beats on this album are mostly lifeless. they just lay a light groove for the cascading, wandering melodies.

those melodies sound like the equivalent of walking through a mile long hallway with those 70's bead doorway curtains hanging every six inches.

Just had to tell Tycho to just stop making music, nothing to see here folks, move along

Considering the majority of constructive criticism that proceeded, this is a rather immature response to the majority of comments about the album/music/artist here. Perhaps if you had quoted the comment(s) your pithy statement was leveled toward, it wouldn't make you look like you're defending Tycho, who honestly doesn't need defending when he's released an album for people to buy, judge and either like, don't like, or like parts of, which seems to be the consensus here in this thread.

I honestly think one of his best tracks of late (Cascade) was the one on the Adult Swim Ghostly International free compilation - I was a bit disappointed to see it not on this release.

Signaldrift - Units Of Spin! What a nice track! Thanks for the tips, got to check this artist out.

Man get everything you can of his! All of it is absolute gold and criminally underrated. Compass is easily one of my desert island pick records. Would run into a burning house to grab it. Other posters in this thread can attest to its potency.

Signaldrift - Units Of Spin! What a nice track! Thanks for the tips, got to check this artist out.

Man get everything you can of his! All of it is absolute gold and criminally underrated. Compass is easily one of my desert island pick records. Would run into a burning house to grab it. Other posters in this thread can attest to its potency.

Yeah, I'm with Mellow-U on this, grab all the Signaldrift you can. My personal favourite album is probably Girl.

this album is fine achievement and i'm plenty satisfied. just keep on doing what your doing tycho and everything will be fine. one thing that comes to mind however, if you wait seven years

again to release proper new material, i may just have to chew off my ears

• 2 weeks later...

Whoa, dude, relax. I was giving the music a compliment. Ultimately, it doesn't matter what it sounds like - as long as I like it enough to buy it, which I did. However I don't think I'm too off the mark by making mention of one of my favorite records of all time in relation to this.

Save your energy for when the real trolls come out!

Edit: I'd also like to add that you're talking to a musician who is definitely no stranger to having "sounds just like (insert artist name)" levied against him, so I know how that feels, and even so - I would rather have people dislike what I do and be honest about it than have a bunch of disillusioned forum watchdogs yelling at any naysayers who come along. Not implying that's what you are here, but really - relax!

how do you like Set Design? Huge album for me, but could never find much about who signaldrift is or what other albums there were, and am checking out compass now. this was back in the days of not knowing where to find out about music, back when the best way i could find something was to listen to itunes radio. i miss those days. felt more innocent. i wish i could forget all i know about music press and just be consumed with a song that drifts into my life once in a while. i hate knowing.

Archived