IGNORED

die antwoord - ten$ion

kaini

wtf dude don't compare them to lady gaga. They're about atitude and fun. They don't take themselves seriously while those artists you described do...have you seen umshimi wan? Did you even read my post? They broke the contact with interscope, they could have doubled their revenues with the next release but they chose an alt label.

I know there's some marketing involved but cmon this is fun.... you're supposed to laugh at it and with them. Thats what i do...

I didn't write to reply to your post, it was just my opinion. And I said they are fun, because their atitude and videos have WTF written all over, but that is as far as I can go with them. Have you heard the Wakey Wakey track from The Constructus Corporation? I think it's one of Ninja's former acts and it's nice. And my comparison with Lady Gaga was based on the 'shock and awe' doctrine solely - I wasn't trying to put them in the same musical pot or something, even if they both basically suck. As long as there are different people there will be different points of view on music, and my idea of fun isn't exactly what these people have in mind. So I did laugh,.......... once. What I notice on DieAntwoord is kind of a statement on modern society that goes nicely along with their cover art for $o$, but their act is still trying to much to be appealing, that is to be just enough controversial but still safe enough so people don't feel offended much. It's a good selling formula, not a rebel-like idea, and that's what bothers me. To me they feel like "ooh, cool, there someone with enough guts to.... aww FUCK it."

Sometimes I can get too analytical on stuff, I know, but that's me. I can't get away from that:)

I think you're being to analytical, you base everything on money. I think they built characters and they play with it. its fun IMO ....

wow, you guys are overthinking the fuck out of Die Antwoord.

no its either u think 2 much or u GET it

this

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
“Max! Max! play ‘Hazel’s Joint.’ Come on!” yelled some drunk guy in the front row. “Ons is na die toekoms,” replied Ninja with a look of calmly threatening intent in his eyes that said, simply, “Max doesn’t live here anymore, move on.” Still the guy persisted. Ninja came over to us. I pictured a swift decapitation with minimal disruption. “Listen, I’m not gonna do that song, okay?” he said. And that was that. He did play “Super Evil” though.

I don’t know if the rest of their crew’s given up on them or just couldn’t make the trip, but tonight, Die Antwoord were down to two. With a laptop and their regular video backdrop, Yo-Landi Vi$$er and Ninja turned The Zulu Jazz Lounge into lyrical Swiss cheese, unleashing their own twisted take on the Cape Flats and thug life with the usual mixture of high energy and satire.

Covered in homemade prison tattoos, with a mouth full of gold and venom, Ninja seemed unusually pissed off and hateful. Stalking the stage like a wild animal in the corner, he spat out lines like, “Fuck Sweat.X and every one of their tracks. Markus Wormstorm is short and fat. They think I’m crazy. They think I’m a alien. Love me or hate me I’ll be back.”

This time, Watkin Tudor Jones (aka Ninja) has taken his role playing/method acting to all new levels of extreme, literally wearing his parody on his body: from gold teeth and a Bafana Cuts hairdo, to tattooing “Pretty Wise” on his neck in blue prison ink. Some say he’s crazy. Some think he’s lost his mind. But one thing’s for sure: the dude’s committed. So’s his wife and sidekick Yo-Landi, who’s also had some dental work and homemade tattooing done.

Another thing that’s undeniable is Ninja’s stage presence. The guy’s a born entertainer: explosive, volatile and intense. Every time I’ve seen him perform, as Max Normal, MaxNormal.TV and now as Ninja/Die Antwoord, he’s been nothing short of captivating. From all out angry rap to soulful R&B croons and laid back trippy wordplay. As usual, tonight’s performance included the customary Stage Dive of Doom.

lolz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXwmgVGjJvY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN2boeuteyU&feature=related

The MaxNormal.TV album is great.

edit: also, Rap Rave Megamix on the MNTV Good Morning South Africa album = Beat Boy

There's more than a bit of Zappaesque "conceptual continuity" going on between MNTV and DA

Guest RadarJammer

Gotta say, the production is a bit weak.

It sounds like a lazy fruity loops demo song from 2002 or something. A bit of a head scratcher.

Archived