IGNORED

Aphex in NME's 501 lost songs

beerwolf

Good Evening fellow Aphex Fans!

I picked up a latest special publication from the people who bring us, the soon to be dead NME.

501 Lost Songs is the magazine and is pretty self explanatory. I quite like these sort of things as they will always have a few classic tracks in that even a musical mastermind like myself hasn't had the pleasure of listening too, so it will be money well spent. Anyway lets cut to the chase. Lets go to the electronica section. And who do we find? Our Lovable Lord of Mischief, Mr Aphex Twin.

The NME has this to say about The Dice Man by Polygon Window.

You may know him better as Richard James, or maybe AFX, or perhaps Caustic Window, Q-Chastic, Power-Pill, or (let's face it ) most likely Aphex Twin, but this was an early pseudonym for the IDM pioneer and general Cornish weirdo.

Opening Warp's Arfificial Intelligence and kick starting a whole flood of ambient techno records, one of James's earliest is still his best. Spooky, funky and throbbing with energy, it deserves more praise but is eternally cast of to the land of ephemera and nerdy forums.

They also include:

Fridge - Long Singing (agreed this is a beautiful track)

Phuture - Acid tracks

Ultravox!- Hiroshima Mon Amour

Cybotron - Alleys of your Mind

Rythim is Rythim - Strings of Life

Eno/Fripp - The Heavenly Music Corporation

Terry Riley - In C

Marshall Jefferson - Move Your Body

The Oscillation - Out of Phase

Aurther Russell - Our Last Night Together

DJ Shadow - Building Steam with a Grain of Salt (I thought that was pretty well known)

Nerdy forums eh? Let's go firebomb there office and put the fucker's out of their misery lol.

Phuture - Acid tracks

Cybotron - Alleys of your Mind

Terry Riley - In C

I thought these were fairly well-known too, or at least well-acknowledged later on...

NME :crazy:

At last count it was bottom of music magazine sales. 30,000 and dropping like a stone. A far cry from it's 200,000 height.

Shame as it used to be good, a long time ago.

Archived