IGNORED

Black Mirror

YO303

Channel 4 wouldn't commission the series as it doesn't reduce your brain matter to soft putty like their regular programming. WTF has gone on that channel over the last 15 years? Talk about going from an extremely experimental haven of talent to The Chicken Shop Show and Gogglebox.

Found out recently they are a not for profit organisation also, read their remit http://www.channel4.com/info/corporate/legal/about-channel-4- they used to be a working man's BBC4 without any of the inaccessibility and nose in the air nonsense.

Good news on Black Mirror - Britain when doing sci-fi can do it very well indeed.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised at the 12 episodes thing, considering that's twice as many episodes as have been made in two seasons.

Really excited though! Netflix is beginning to rival HBO with the quality of their original content and smart approach of creative freedom + sufficient budget.

I'm surprised at the 12 episodes thing, considering that's twice as many episodes as have been made in two seasons.

Really excited though! Netflix is beginning to rival HBO with the quality of their original content and smart approach of creative freedom + sufficient budget.

Yeah, 12 episodes has me a little worried with regards to quality of the episodes, Brooker puts in a fair amount of care and detail to Black Mirror with three episode chunks. But he may have had lots of ideas stewing over time.

Black Mirror had a sense of being too on the nose often but all around I can't be anything but extremely happy about this and from what I hear Netflix always (?) does 2 seasons of shows. I love anthologies like outer limits, twilight zone and others. i think the christmas special was the freshest as far as ideas go but I loved the execution and mood typically of the prior ones.

• 1 year later...

Season 3 has been out a week, I've watched the first three (of six) and it's just a mindfuck as ever.  Quality is still top.  2 and 3 are among my favs already.

I can't decide if I like the stories that are so painfully plausible it could actually be happening right now i-r-l god help us, or the more fantastic what-ifs.  the realism is hard to take in - episode 3 shook me the most.

Yeah I'm 3 episodes in as well. One was sort of interesting but a little forced. Two was good, I just wished it was longer. Three was pretty uncomfortable and actually kind of derivative of a movie I saw a few years ago.

Personally the more plausible ones get to me more, but I appreciate some of the more fantastic ones as thought experiment laboratories for creepy aspects of modern life. Those do tend to be less consistent but they've also had the most interesting scenes and ideas.

Season 3 has been out a week, I've watched the first three (of six) and it's just a mindfuck as ever.  Quality is still top.  2 and 3 are among my favs already.

I can't decide if I like the stories that are so painfully plausible it could actually be happening right now i-r-l god help us, or the more fantastic what-ifs.  the realism is hard to take in - episode 3 shook me the most.

Yep, 2 and 3 were my favourites of the entire season too. I didn't like the first episode, but I'm glad I persisted as the rest are quality.

Number 4 has been my fave I think so far - Mainly as I thought for the first 1/4 "Jeez they're really pushing the 80s thing, alright I get it...." Before acknowledging that that was kinda the point, and it going in a rather lovely direction

(plus it was nice to have a relatively upbeat ending for a change!)

Looking forward to catching up with the old Black Mirror.

Though it kind of went downhill after of the first three episodes from season one, it's still always been an entertaining watch.

1 San Junipero

2 Shut Up and Dance

3 Playtest

4 Nosedive

5 Hated in the Nation

6 Men Against Fire

imo

This is exactly my list but with Playtest bumped down to #6. Total misfire, though the premise was solid (barring the last twist).

I actually enjoyed all those twists at the end. I was thinking whether to put Playtest or Nosedive at number 3 and Playtest seemed darker and more of a mind fuck but I really like them both.

Men Against Fire was so uninteresting though, I hated it.

Yeah and there was far too much exposition in it too. When the big reveal was explained, me and my flatmate were thinking - aye, but wasn't that obvious 30 minutes ago, this is just padding for idiots !

1 San Junipero

2 Shut Up and Dance

3 Playtest

4 Nosedive

5 Hated in the Nation

6 Men Against Fire

imo

This is exactly my list but with Playtest bumped down to #6. Total misfire, though the premise was solid (barring the last twist).

I actually enjoyed all those twists at the end. I was thinking whether to put Playtest or Nosedive at number 3 and Playtest seemed darker and more of a mind fuck but I really like them both.

Men Against Fire was so uninteresting though, I hated it.

I liked the fact that there were multiple twists at the end of Playtest, but I preferred the ending directly previous to the very last reveal because it was bleak as hell, emotionally devastating, and had a bit of a message to it. As opposed to the final twist, which made everything pointless and had no message whatsoever.

Also I thought that the "house of horrors" aspect had the potential to escalate into utter insanity and nightmare fuel, but after a couple standard jump scares it kinda went nowhere. The stuff with the chick from Killjoys was the coolest bit.

Edit: Men Against Fire was pretty snoozeworthy though. Did anyone not guess the twist the minute they saw the HUD?

Archived