IGNORED

Steinvord Speculation

YELLOW

What if... it's AFX taking the piss? If there's another person that could sound like SP it's him.

If theres anyone that can do it, it would be him. But at the same time, I'm not particularly convinced he could. There are things (many) that afx does better than anyone, but imo maelstrom style drum programming? Only SP can do that.

What if... it's AFX taking the piss? If there's another person that could sound like SP it's him.

If theres anyone that can do it, it would be him. But at the same time, I'm not particularly convinced he could. There are things (many) that afx does better than anyone, but imo maelstrom style drum programming? Only SP can do that.

And you don't think, being great friends that they are, that Afx and SP have spent a lot of time jamming together and have taught each other loads of little tricks ;)

To me this release is either a joint venture between the pusher and the fex or it really is a new up and comer. Either way, who the music comes from really doesn't matter when you get said record. Would knowing the truth really change the music significantly for you? I know I'm still going to enjoy the music all the same regardless :music:

And you don't think, being great friends that they are, that Afx and SP have spent a lot of time jamming together and have taught each other loads of little tricks ;)

To me this release is either a joint venture between the pusher and the fex or it really is a new up and comer. Either way, who the music comes from really doesn't matter when you get said record. Would knowing the truth really change the music significantly for you? I know I'm still going to enjoy the music all the same regardless :music:

True! But knowing it was SP would certainly squash my fear that the man will never release go plastic style beats again :)

tom jenkinson all over, no afx, no richard james, if you cant tell the difference, who the fuck you been listening to all these years? listen to the breakdowns, the amens,, either that or an obssessive fan, which makes it somewhat scarier?stalker breaks, but you know it aint either of them, just someone who has spent so long mastering said techniques, honing production skills with no persona, or melodical skills to see it through, average ep, he gets a b in gltich break and whatever else

lyff acid, you heard the way that bass reverberates over waves of sonic field? squarepusher, like on his brreezevlock slot, same thing, same technique,

Yeah I've been trying to say that over the last 9000101010328490 pages of steinvord/pizza posts.. :p

tom jenkinson all over, no afx, no richard james, if you cant tell the difference, who the fuck you been listening to all these years? listen to the breakdowns, the amens,, either that or an obssessive fan, which makes it somewhat scarier?stalker breaks, but you know it aint either of them, just someone who has spent so long mastering said techniques, honing production skills with no persona, or melodical skills to see it through, average ep, he gets a b in gltich break and whatever else

Actually some of the tracks sound more like AFX. But I'm glad that people are starting to take steinvord seriously, when I said a couple years ago that this was an Aphex/SP collab I got laughed at. Now that he's being released on Rephlex, it's too obvious to deny it anymore.

its neither tom or richard though, its like drum break excersices, without the melody dynamic, ,,,,i.e pretty shit

no matter how welll executed;-0

Edited by Jaffa

There are things (many) that afx does better than anyone, but imo maelstrom style drum programming? Only SP can do that.

I'd disagree with this tbh. Don't get me wrong though, both Aphex and Squarepusher have some fucking incredible programming skills, and no doubt way ahead of the curve 10 years ago. But nowadays I really don't think so. Maybe it's because their music had been so influential to others, or their tricks have been meticulously deconstructed by others, but at least on the techniques front, Ive not heard anything from either of them that could not be done by someone else, on the technical aspect at least. (secretly hoping for some completely mind blowing stuff still to come, somewhat doubtfully)

I guess what I mean is, both producers have a powerful arsenal of tricks, more than a whole host of other producers, but no single special ability that no one else in the world also possesses.

The one "skill" that they both do have, which no one could hope to acquire, is sounding like Aphex, or sounding like Squarepusher. that's something far more intangible and impossible to accurately deconstruct. That's what leaves me convinced that Steinvord is neither of them, once you strip away the technique from the equation, it does not have that certain something. A hint of "inspired by" but no more.

its neither tom or richard though, its like drum break excersices, without the melody dynamic, ,,,,i.e pretty shit

i wouldn't go quite so far, but more or less agree. I don't think it's pretty shit, but not fantastic either. The beat programming is pretty good, but nothing extraordinary. I mentioned before how some passages seems to mimic (or even sample) Go Plastic, but all that really serves to prove is a relatively successful deconstruction of Squarepushers techniques, Definately does not bring anything new to the table. But the impression I have always had with either Aphex of Squarepusher (with the odd couple of exceptions) is that regardless of how complex the beat programming might get, it's always been secondary to the overal dynamic of the piece. Again, not an impression I get from Steinvord.

anyway, tbh I get slightly cracked up by people gushing over the beat programming in this EP. It's as though they have been completely ignorant to just how far that stuff has progressed since 10 years ago. There are current artists who frankly, shit all over this, in terms of inventive beat programming and technique at least. But hey, this one is on Rephlex.

There are things (many) that afx does better than anyone, but imo maelstrom style drum programming? Only SP can do that.

I'd disagree with this tbh. Don't get me wrong though, both Aphex and Squarepusher have some fucking incredible programming skills, and no doubt way ahead of the curve 10 years ago. But nowadays I really don't think so. Maybe it's because their music had been so influential to others, or their tricks have been meticulously deconstructed by others, but at least on the techniques front, Ive not heard anything from either of them that could not be done by someone else, on the technical aspect at least. (secretly hoping for some completely mind blowing stuff still to come, somewhat doubtfully)

I guess what I mean is, both producers have a powerful arsenal of tricks, more than a whole host of other producers, but no single special ability that no one else in the world also possesses.

The one "skill" that they both do have, which no one could hope to acquire, is sounding like Aphex, or sounding like Squarepusher. that's something far more intangible and impossible to accurately deconstruct. That's what leaves me convinced that Steinvord is neither of them, once you strip away the technique from the equation, it does not have that certain something. A hint of "inspired by" but no more.

i wouldn't go quite so far, but more or less agree. I don't think it's pretty shit, but not fantastic either. The beat programming is pretty good, but nothing extraordinary. I mentioned before how some passages seems to mimic (or even sample) Go Plastic, but all that really serves to prove is a relatively successful deconstruction of Squarepushers techniques, Definately does not bring anything new to the table. But the impression I have always had with either Aphex of Squarepusher (with the odd couple of exceptions) is that regardless of how complex the beat programming might get, it's always been secondary to the overal dynamic of the piece. Again, not an impression I get from Steinvord.

anyway, tbh I get slightly cracked up by people gushing over the beat programming in this EP. It's as though they have been completely ignorant to just how far that stuff has progressed since 10 years ago. There are current artists who frankly, shit all over this, in terms of inventive beat programming and technique at least. But hey, this one is on Rephlex.

"Ive not heard anything from either of them that could not be done by someone else"

"There are current artists who frankly, shit all over this, in terms of inventive beat programming and technique at least."

By all means, provide examples. I've been through thousands of hours of music, hundreds and hundreds of artists off of probably 100 record labels (my staple listens come from 6 or 7 labels only)... I've not heard any examples of more inventive beat programming. Not saying it doesn't exist, just indulge me and show me!

lyff acid, you heard the way that bass reverberates over waves of sonic field? squarepusher, like on his brreezevlock slot, same thing, same technique,

Yeah I've been trying to say that over the last 9000101010328490 pages of steinvord/pizza posts.. :p

proof that steinvord is autechre

I think it's Squarepusher. Sounds like him. And AFX/Rephlex fanboys sure get worked up about little. This is nothing special. Rephlex hasn't released anything groundbreaking in years, just slight re-imaginations and re-interpretations of well treaded paths from years ago.

I don't feel confident this is TJ or RDJ. the drums sound like TJ...and RDJ too... and the acid really doesn't sound like RDJ to me

could be anyone though proba- definitely TJ before RDJ. "maelstrom" sounds great

OK well "Ontrackv2" directly samples I think Greenways trajectory and it sounds very much like Jenkinson. who knows, could be someone new, I don't doubt that our new generation contains people on the same level as those guys. i'm sure the past 10 pages already have been over this.

Edited by vamos scorcho

fucking IDM Assholes. should have kept releasing classics because now the best thing I've heard in years is this Burial EP and hearing these drum breaks just makes me realize how different things are now. I really miss the old days where music could unabashedly blast me into the stratosphere and bring a joyous smile to my face, because musicians like Jenkinson were fucking avant garde techno psychopaths making this extremely fast techinical computer music that really nobody could have expected, really pushing the boundaries... anyway, just some emotion from the bottom of some British guy's projection into my own suburbican soul

Edited by vamos scorcho

What I can't understand about almost everyone here telling that it absolutely can't be either afx or squarepusher is that most of the time, your point is that it could be anyone else because of the technique, but what I hear in those tracks sounding afx/tj like is all about the music (depending on the tracks, and I'm mostly basing my judgment on the myspace ones).

of course a lot of people can do complex drum programming or whatever "like" that, but what makes these two artists (notably) being such geniuses is that every details of the "programming" is musically relevant / powerful and actually "says" something. And I can definitely hear this musical relevance in the tracks I've heard from the myspace rip.

i don't know, that's just the way it sounds in my ears anyway but I just can't get how you can honestly say that a track like for example Untitled (myspace rip again) definitely isn't afx when you've previously listened/loved drukqs.

I think you are the obsessive one. Just because someone uses the same breaks as Squarepusher doesn't mean is Squarepusher. Except Maelstrom, the other tracks have more straight-up drum and bass/jungle influences. As someone else pointed, Backyard sounds like Macc/early (good) Photek, it has that more steady-beat with layered pads on top, and a lot of bass. It seems soem of guys have a very limited spectrum of artists who use breaks.

sidebyside.png

This pretty much proves the sound has nothing to do with it and it's processed differently (considering the nonsense that is comparing a single track to an entire discography and so on)

Edited by pissflaps

Guest RadarJammer

Steineuritis is a fatal lung disease you get from reading bad comments on steinvord internet forum threads, it can take 20 years to develop and new cases are turning up every day. Look, we're Brown and Crouppen, we've collected over a third of a billion dollars for injured people, not million, billion. See? I fix problems. Call now for free at 314-555-HELP.