IGNORED

Steinvord Speculation

YELLOW

Like he applies the same methodology to all tracks where with rdj/sp etc each track is legitimately it's own entity...

:facepalm:

What?

snare rush snare rush snare rush ad infinitum. ("you now have the option of taking heroin" Chaos AD)

I didn't say I don't like it though. I like it enough that I own 95% of his albums, EPS, unreleased materials, and live sets. haha

Well if you own everything he has released then I dont really understand what your up to.... You either like it or not unless you're rich and like to spend money on things you think are crappy and unoriginal.

I'm not up to anything. I said he makes some impressive stuff that I like but he's missing some aspects/musicality of my favorite artists.... I didn't say I didn't like it. I said it was method music (have you seen how he does it in renoise?).

And then you put the little disappointed guy for some reason... You have confused me my friend.

Im cool with Techdiff long post, except what I get from the Steinvord tunes is certainly whar artists like devine or venetian snares lack. When i listen to a snares track it's sound too much like he just loaded a shitton of samples and ran them on a grid with a tracker, and Devine is just too much "bleeps and bloops". With Steinvord I get those nice eerie vibes from some drum and bass records while it has all that fucked up drum processing and programming, with the rythm sort of sliding and being fluent and not just super quantized like everyone else out there does. Its kinda hard to explain. Like earing that Exile track and others.. i get too much this sort of "vst plugin" on there constantly throwing effects every bar when with Steinvord I get the feeling whoever did that did it tastefully and manually. This is why at the end of the day I dont really like a lot of music of this style besides when AFX or the Pusher does it. They have great taste and so does Steinvord. I want a big intense sonical assault but feeling it was nicely crafted at the same time. Other guys sound too mechanical and "autechre-ish", or just way too "breakcore". Whatever, hope someone gets what im trying to say.

thank you for writting what I can't express in english ! that's pretty much what I wanted to say in my latest post here :)

• 2 months later...

Im cool with Techdiff long post, except what I get from the Steinvord tunes is certainly whar artists like devine or venetian snares lack. When i listen to a snares track it's sound too much like he just loaded a shitton of samples and ran them on a grid with a tracker, and Devine is just too much "bleeps and bloops". With Steinvord I get those nice eerie vibes from some drum and bass records while it has all that fucked up drum processing and programming, with the rythm sort of sliding and being fluent and not just super quantized like everyone else out there does. Its kinda hard to explain. Like earing that Exile track and others.. i get too much this sort of "vst plugin" on there constantly throwing effects every bar when with Steinvord I get the feeling whoever did that did it tastefully and manually. This is why at the end of the day I dont really like a lot of music of this style besides when AFX or the Pusher does it. They have great taste and so does Steinvord. I want a big intense sonical assault but feeling it was nicely crafted at the same time. Other guys sound too mechanical and "autechre-ish", or just way too "breakcore". Whatever, hope someone gets what im trying to say.

I'm turning into a terrible venetian snares fanboy. I notice him being spoken of and follow the conversation until someone mentions something I dislike, then I think fuck you, write an angry reply, run out of steam, and don't post it.

I agree his music sounds like it's on autopilot a lot of the time, but that's what makes it so effective. I feel like both richard devine and steinvord, and squarepusher as well, are too technically minded and can never create an 'intense sonic assault' that feels like it's happening in the moment. You sense the build up, you sense where it's going. Venetian Snares' music just hits you. Of all the electronic artists around creating music as detailed as his, none of his music to me sounds overly technical or detached, in the same way datach'i, otto von schirach, xanopticon does. You know when you hear music where the artist feels every note, feels the music to the extent that it's like oxygen to them, and if they don't feel it, you don't and it's not as engaging.

Venetian Snares' music to me does not sound like it's created by a nerd who is obsessed and anal about detail. It's music made by someone who wants to recreate the ecstatic rush of taking drugs (aaron funk wrote a piece on making orange things where he said all he did for weeks on end was take cocaine, fall asleep, wake up, then try to recreate the rush he felt). He doesn't get bogged down in detail because he's not interested in indulging in it. He uses it to form as an element to create the rush. His music has a propulsion and forcefulness that all those artists lack. I think venetian snares is as musically inclined as u-ziq, luke vibert, aphex twin, he shares their sense of humour, their prolific nature, their lack of pretension. With added ADD.

Edited by Suffocate Peon

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like some old AFX (2) and Tom (1), maybe collabs, and a couple of Macc and Doghn tracks to me.

Guest spprw

listening to the tracks that are on the vinyl release, it doesn't sound to me like the work of one artist. the only song that actually sounds like aphex to me is 'iyff acid' (and that really sounds like him). has anyone considered the steinvord 12" to be a compilation, with each track being done by a different artist?

some of the myspace ones sound super drukqs-y

Guest spprw

yeah. it's really obvious. to suggest these songs are the product of mimicry is ridiculous.

I'm not a big enough fan of squarepusher to be able to identify an anonymous work of his upon first listen, but I can with aphex. I was amazed that there were people arguing that the tuss wasn't him.

what about untitleds 9 & 11 though? 11 is the only one I'm on the fence with. 9 definitely sounds like afx though.

either way, I wish they'd just come out with a proper release of all the myspace tracks. 160kbps rips just don't cut it fo rme

Guest spprw

suddenly everyone's an expert. it's not obvious. if it was obvious we wouldn't be having this conversation.

well it's incredibly obvious to those familiar enough with his melodic sense; the rhythms of not only his drum patterns, but the timing of their manipulation. I could go on. I'm not saying you're not, by the way. but why is it so hard for people to believe the guy who was once Soit-PP, Bradly Strider, The Tuss, GAK, Power Pill, did the Universal Indicator series, Polygon Window and Caustic Window wouldn't be fucking with us again under a new guise?

honestly, I don't know why he bothers with all the pseudonyms given the hallmarks of his sound are so evident. it would be like Kubrick working under an alias

it's not about being hard to believe, it's just silly to come out of nowhere and be all "THIS IS AFX BELIEVE ME I KNOW THESE THINGS". are you a certified rdj spotter or something?

Guest spprw

is it though? I'm saying I know it when I hear it, and since I've been listening to the same richard james music that everyone else has for all these years, I'm surprised that there's so much doubt that he's involved. it's exactly what happened when the tuss records came out!

Yeah, i don't understand why he continues 2 take out records under new monikers while he had said in 2004 or 2005 that he kept only two "afx" and "aphex twin"... I didn't understand when he took out an EP and a LP under the name of The Tuss... As if he didn't trust any more him... Furthermore 4 Dave Monolith, i believed well that it's still him so that the sound and music sounded at the same time "Aphex Twin", "AFX" and "The Tuss"... For Steinvord, a new test? - it is irritating at the end... But well what matters is the good music...

But 1 day Richard'll take himself a big slap due 2 playing the games of riddle, he'll tire a lot of fans and medias: in strength, more nobody'll be interested in him, if he continues 2 hide under new names, because it's as if he didn't assume his new compositions or experiences... If he was not famous, all right, but there, he's going 2 take itself a big slap if he continuous, it's as 2 take us for idiots...

the tracks do not have aphex twin or Tuss standarts in mastering when you listen to them on monitor speakers. So I just have a wild guess its not them.

what about untitleds 9 & 11 though? 11 is the only one I'm on the fence with. 9 definitely sounds like afx though.

Those tracks are sick! but untitled 9 is to simple for being a AFX track I think.

Maybe Alex Trevithick? I don't know really..

Guest spprw

sorry, but do some people here honestly believe that there's an 18 year old that can uncannily reproduce multiple aspects of the production styles of both tom jenkinson and richard d james and in the process actually make good songs? wow. the fact that he keeps his squarepusher-soundalike tracks separate from the aphex ones is another thing. why wouldn't there be any overlap?

again, I like squarepusher, but not nearly as much as aphex, so I'm not nearly as familiar with tom jenkinson's style to be able to say that the songs I suspect aren't by richard d james are necessarily his (unless there were a bass solo or something). there could be other contributors.