IGNORED

Sean talks on technology at The Simply Superior podcast

Guest 2062

The RLA archive has always overwhelmed me (particularly as I'm not a huge fan of noise) but someone on here, I think awepittance, posted a link to this set which I loved - http://rla.web.fm/19980000_F5K/

I only heard parts 4 & 5 but they're awesome, I think it's more of a DJ set - I recognise stuff like Bjork, a remix of that track 'Trial by 12', Ghosts and Goblins from the 64, and possible some Hafler Trio stuff. The track I've been trying to identify for about 10 years now is about 25 minutes into part 5 and goes on for about 10 minutes with this really minimal background melody. Actually the track that plays through the entirety of Part 4 is great too and would love to find out more info about it.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that was me posting that link a few years ago, i love farmermanual's dvd, even if i never (who could ?) listened to the whole thing. yeah i was thinking about that wicked set & that special track... Awepittance, Ae loved Farmersmanuals for years i think : they were invited to play at their ATP festival in 2003, along bunch of the Mego mafia (pita, hecker).

Check the killer 2001 set by Pansonic on the RLA website.

Ok...so who can recommend their favorite bits from RLA to me? I have the DVD but I've barely scratched the surface, and I just don't have the time to systematically listen to every one right now.

nice discussion. interesting tangent on the ios apps.

i think part of the reason for the lack of quality/originality in the majority of the ios sound apps is the barrier to entry for a developer.

it's not easy to program. period.

plus there is a very rigid/mathematical mindset associated with command line/object oriented programming.

so by default you're not going to get the most crazy free-thinkers making stuff. most of those people see C++ code and run the other way.

often, with all sorts of platforms, you see as it gets easier (friendlier?) to approach and work with, the more unique work gets produced.

sure, a lot more garbage too. but that's unavoidable.

i have a million ideas for ios apps, but i just cannot do command line coding. really painful for me. and i've always been terrible at math.

but max/msp, that's something that i can do quite a bit in. much more natural for me for whatever reason. easier to visualize.

i've heard that they now have a way to get pd patches to work with ios.

i'm sure that max/msp will not be far behind. as soon as that happens, i'm in. and i'm sure i won't be the only one.

Dominant left vs right brain...i know exactly what you mean digit, although to be good in Max you also need a couple of yrs of hard work, as you know i guess.

ae answers are always considerate, even if the other end is just a narcissistic robot...loop.do({yeah,yeah.yeah...right,right...(sedative babble).insert...mhhmm...yeah,yeah,yeah...right,right...mhhhmm...});

ae answers are always considerate, even if the other end is just a narcissistic robot...loop.do({yeah,yeah.yeah...right,right...(sedative babble).insert...mhhmm...yeah,yeah,yeah...right,right...mhhhmm...});

lol

nice discussion. interesting tangent on the ios apps.

i think part of the reason for the lack of quality/originality in the majority of the ios sound apps is the barrier to entry for a developer.

it's not easy to program. period.

plus there is a very rigid/mathematical mindset associated with command line/object oriented programming.

so by default you're not going to get the most crazy free-thinkers making stuff. most of those people see C++ code and run the other way.

money is also a huge factor, what percentage of Ios users want to buy some sort of phase vocoder real time sampler morpher when they could vs a very generic SH-101 clone subtractive synth?

as a developer all of your hard work carving your own path would lead to a lot less money (unless it hit the magic combo) than would a really generic expected paint by numbers music app

the topic about formalizing a process being restrictive, 'preventing you from allowing the accidents to come in', is incredibly insightful stuff.

this podcast is fucking gold. A+

and they're totally talking about watmm on the 'who-did-what' topic.

I missed that part - when did they talk about that? (minute?)

this podcast is fucking gold. A+

and they're totally talking about watmm on the 'who-did-what' topic.

I missed that part - when did they talk about that? (minute?)

it's pretty soon into when sean starts talking - when they start talking about the internet dissecting who was responsible for what in the h3oae collabs. i dunno, 15mins-ish? i wasn't looking at time.

Finally got round to *properly* listening to this podcast. It's really interesting and covers so much - I could happily listen to Sean and Andrew talk about anything and everything for hours !

Guest sirch

I would listen to this, if i could be fucked to download iTunes onto this PC.

is it good, tho, really?

somebody stick it on youtube, or summink...........??

I would listen to this, if i could be fucked to download iTunes onto this PC.

is it good, tho, really?

somebody stick it on youtube, or summink...........??

I posted the mp3 of it on page 1 innit

Archived