IGNORED

New Tool record end of year?

azatoth

I predict the new album will be more of the same. Not straying too much away from what they've done so far. I wish they would do something new and different and not be so safe. It's still going to be alright, but could be something much better.

I predict the new album will be more of the same. Not straying too much away from what they've done so far. I wish they would do something new and different and not be so safe. It's still going to be alright, but could be something much better.

this, for sure. There are so many bands these days that are Tool-inspired and doing something different with the sound. Not to mention the rise of post-metal and decent prog metal (cf. Mastodon), I think it's gonna have to be something pretty special for me to be interested.

That said, Meshuggah suffered from the same situation, and came out with Koloss, which is one of the best things they've released, imo.

I think they know 10k days was a little lackluster and the 8 year wait is ridiculous. I would almost bet on a double album if I had to.

that said, this will inevitably suffer from tomorrow's harvest syndrome by default.

this, for sure. There are so many bands these days that are Tool-inspired and doing something different with the sound. Not to mention the rise of post-metal and decent prog metal (cf. Mastodon), I think it's gonna have to be something pretty special for me to be interested.

Yeah as I've said previously, their meticulousness is detrimental to their sound and relevance. I'd love to hear what they can come up with if they didn't take themselves so damn seriously.

I'd love to hear something stripped down and minimalist, though I guess that's kinda the direction they were heading with a few tracks on 10k days..

But yeah, something a bit more dirty, for sure. I'm a bit over that super clean sound design that hasn't had much modification since Aenima.

I think they know 10k days was a little lackluster and the 8 year wait is ridiculous. I would almost bet on a double album if I had to.

that said, this will inevitably suffer from tomorrow's harvest syndrome by default.

You know what, ever since With Teeth came out I've never suffered from hype due to waiting so long. That album utterly broke me, I was so distraught by how much I hated it that even my love for NIN couldn't make me fake it til I make it.

I'm confident as much as I love Tool that I'll be able to take it for what it is. 10k at first I was huge on the first half of the album, less so on the second until it finally clicked with me, but never understood the bad reviews people gave it. Actually, seeing Tool live before I heard the album is one of the reasons I loved it.

The great thing about Tool is that they've never been shit or churned out a half arsed album. I doubt they're suddenly going to start doing that. So as much as I'm excited, I can still wait. Like what Maynard said in that song.

i am pretty confident myself that i will take it for what it is too. i loved 10k days at first but after the shine wore off, i was a little let down that there was not the same type of flow and cohesiveness that i expect from a tool album. the pacing leaves a little to be desired for me as well, i think of wings for marie cuts the album up too much. plus there was too much filler. that last track is too long for an aural experiment, lip an conjuring is a joke and lost keys, while cool, goes on a little too long for me. but rosetta, vicarious, jambi & right in two are all top tier tool imo.

if their penchant for making longer and more exploratory tracks holds up, a 30 minute monster on this new one is not out of the question. and if that is the case, i can't see them releasing a 5 or 6 track album so i would expect two discs. but that is just me speculating. i am sure i will love most, if not all of it, whenever it does come out.

one thing i would really hope for is an announce and release very close to each other, like in rainbows. don't tell everyone a new album is coming out in 6 months and then have exclusive listening parties and shit. it is 2014. put the music in the hands of the supportive fans. no need to make people salivate anymore than 8 years.

Yeah mate, agreed. I hate when an album is finished so you just end up waiting forever for seemingly no reason.

You don't think Wings for Marie is top tier? I've always adored it, but it just takes me back to when I saw them live, it really stood out. Beautiful song.

Also, I hope they go with someone else's art than Alex Grey. Nothing against him, but it's been pretty seen already.

I am assuming Barresi is also producing this new album, so I guess it's too much to hope that it would lack clipping and have proper dynamics.

Edited by azatoth

You don't think Wings for Marie is top tier? I've always adored it, but it just takes me back to when I saw them live, it really stood out. Beautiful song.

absolutely i do, but it just seems to disrupt the album. I'm not sure i can explain it correctly, but no doubt do i think it is one of their best songs, i just don't go back to it that much. live it gave me goosebumps.

Also, I hope they go with someone else's art than Alex Grey. Nothing against him, but it's been pretty seen already.

I am assuming Barresi is also producing this new album, so I guess it's too much to hope that it would lack clipping and have proper dynamics.

agreed on both counts there. hoping for new art direction and back to david bortrill. i have a feeling it will be barisi though, i am hoping not.

What if Maynard fronted The Mars Volta? That would be cool as shit. In a way The Mars Volta filled in for Tool and were the 2000's answer.

I don't dislike Cedric's voice, but would just love to hear Maynard's with the energy of TMV. Not to mention their prolificacy.

Guest AsylumSeaker

I cant imagine what else Maynard could possibly have to say having said all the things he said on those other albums. Even a lot of his APC and Puscifier output covered the same ground. Let him make wine, I say. Leave the old man alone.

Maybe this is crazy. Heresy, even. But personally I'd like to here a Tool album without Maynard. Ifthe other guys are up for it, of course. Maynard is a genius, but so are the others. I just have this lingering suspicion that Tool without Maynard might be like Floyd without Barrett.

They should do an album with Aaron Turner or something; inject some post-metal freshness into their sound..

I would listen to the whole album if this happened. I like some Tool songs but I'm not a real fan, I guess.

I cant imagine what else Maynard could possibly have to say having said all the things he said on those other albums. Even a lot of his APC and Puscifier output covered the same ground. Let him make wine, I say. Leave the old man alone.

Maybe this is crazy. Heresy, even. But personally I'd like to here a Tool album without Maynard. Ifthe other guys are up for it, of course. Maynard is a genius, but so are the others. I just have this lingering suspicion that Tool without Maynard might be like Floyd without Barrett.

GET THE FUCK OUT

Guest AsylumSeaker

They should do an album with Aaron Turner or something; inject some post-metal freshness into their sound..

Or Justin K. Broadrick.. or Neurosis.. or the Kyuss Lives guys.. or GYBE... or Robert Fripp.

Edited by AsylumSeaker

Yeah pretty much. I just figured it'd be more likely that they'd work with Turner since Jones and Chancellor have played on Isis albums!

Tool vs. Broadrick would be INSANE though. Anything that guy touches instantly becomes 10x better.

Edited by modey

I like Tool's music for the most part, but watching his podcasts with Joe Rogan makes him seem sort of annoying and really boring.

What do you expect from a middle aged millionaire? Him to be the same angry person he was in his twenties?

Be interested in interesting things, and not think that super troopers and law and order are great pieces of work. I just kind of don't like maynard. I dunno. It's whatever.

Edited by AdieuErsatzEnnui