IGNORED

New Tool record end of year?

azatoth

• 4 months later...

Now that a nearly decade-long lawsuit that weighed on Tool has finally been settled and a previously undisclosed serious illness afflicting an unnamed band member has subsided the Lateralus crew is making serious progress on their much-anticipated, much-delayed follow-up to 2006's 10,000 Days. In a new interview with Yahoo! Music, Tool guitarist Adam Jones says the band have finished one track and that another 10 songs are in "various states of completion. The band hopes to finish their new LP by year's end.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/tool-speed-up-progress-on-new-album-after-settling-lawsuit-20150315

Things are finally set in motion.

the original yahoo article, which rolling stone apparently just rearranged and appropriated, is a little longer if anyone's interested.

so they're saying, if there are no set backs, maybe this year. this album has been fraught with set-backs, so this year seems dubious, though it seems they are nearing the end.

im not impatient. sounds like they will produce something amazing, which will drive me crazy defending on the internet to people who wanted another aenima or lateralus.

jones describes the stuff as heavy, atmospheric, and complex

it seems like they have a song around 20 minutes, plus 10 more. sounds like a double album.

I'll eat my hat if their new album comes out in 2015. Just promotion/marketing wise, it's not possible. They have 1 song 'complete' but of course minus vocals. They're only writing a few days at a time, not 5-6 days a week.

Honestly, I'll be a little surprised if it's out in 2016. Just given how long their 'writing' can go on for.

i am def thinking it won't be done this year, but i wouldn't mind if it comes out of nowhere ala In Rainbows. I think that would help. The 10k days hype train kind of hurt that album's reception, in a large part to how long it was in between lateralus and 10k days. that amount of time has almost doubled between 10k days and this new one. they'd be better off just releasing it out of nowhere and letting people judge for themselves right away.

geez were they involved in every single day of court proceedings from this lawsuit or what?

The Kafka-esque scenario, which wrapped up the week of March 2, began in 2007 when one of Tools employees claimed he created artwork for the band and wanted credit. Jones insists there was no merit in the mans claim and the band assumed its insurance company would take care of the matter. The company refused, and when Tool disputed the legality of their refusal, the company filed its own suit against the band.

From what I understand, they got two lawsuits on top of eachother, and they had to sort both out themselves. When the first one got settled, the second one lingered on for a long time for some reason.

And Jones also mentions one of the members had a life-threathening disease at one point which also slowed things down, but he was being vague about who and what it was.

I can understand why it took so long tho.

Can't wait for angry stenographed court proceedings lyrics.

I want the new album to sound better than 10k days. No clipping pls. Is all I ask for. This got to be their last album, though. Even if they had some shit happening, they still take a long ass time to write and record a new album. They will tour for two years, then take at least a year off, then they will do stuff with their various sideprojects for a year or two. Then perhaps they start jamming again and a couple of years later they might have a new album. That's like 6-8 years.

I agree. 10k days sounded pretty yucky. not sure why they left David Botrill. lateralus and aenima sound perfect.

8 years from now, some of them will be in their 60s. no way would I think 60 years olds could make forward thinking heavy music, but swans have shattered that notion.

Edited by jules

i agree it would be cool but digital doesnt lend itself to hi-fi for most people. i think they would want initial impressions to be from cd

analog cds for most idm 2016

At this point, I am quite certain this will be the final Tool album...

With the legal battles, Maynard taking more interest in Puscifer and his winery, Danny's been doing other projects, Adam has said he wants to get back into visual FX and prop making, and idk about Justin's goals, but on top of that they're all getting older. I'm just hoping they go out with a final epic shout, maybe channel some of the frustrations of what they've been through in recent years and harken back to the darker angrier Tool from pre-lateralus days...

maybe not angry but dark for sure.

maynard has so many outlet opportunites with puscifer that he didn't have before, so i could def see anything darker being channeled just to tool