IGNORED

New Tool record end of year?

azatoth

Hope it's not Lateralus Pt.3 (10,000days being part 2 obv)

I can't really say which tool record I like the most. I loved 10 000 days because it wasn't lateralus and I loved lateralus 'cause it wasn't 10 000 days (or Aenima). All tool records unique. I need to be in the right state of mind to enjoy them tho... I don't always have the energy for lateralus, I think that's the hardest for me.

I've been thinking lately. Tool doesn't evolve. They're like the current retro-prog bands making 70s prog that sounds like 70s prog, but not innovating. Their albums sound different, but every time one is released, the first song is immediately recognizable as Tool and sounds like some other Tool song. Stinkfist went right along with Undertow, Schism sounded like it could have been on Aenima, and Vicarious sounded like it could have come from Lateralus. The albums have definitely taken on their own identity, but what I'm getting at is that they're not innovating. They spend years on these albums, being as anal as possible and trying to come up with complex shit, losing site of making something actually unique. Maybe that's not their goal, and it's just something I personally would like. Tool were trend-setters in the 90s but now they're really just one of the bunch. Better than the bunch, but they're so much less relevant. I want Tool to do something they might do if they were putting out their first album in 2014.

Don't get me wrong I will continue to look forward to new material from these guys, and will most likely spend lots of time listening to it when it comes, but sometimes I wish they'd just relax their bungholes and just bang out a spontaneous album. I'm curious what they could do. The results could be more satisfying than something pretentious and familiar that took 6 years to make.

I agree with this... mostly. But I think Aenima was a significantly different sound/direction for the band coming from Undertow. It actually alienated a decent number of fans at the time. Since then though it's just been more of the same. But man... Aenima was fresh when it released.

yeah i felt like aenima was next level

undertow was a bit more similar to other heavy metal acts of the day in it's time, it still had it's own identity, but aenima just really set them apart. nothing else sounded like that

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Geometrices

It's just such a new and fantastic process each and every time! I think it has been a spiralling progression leading toward a more spiritual/mystical perspective. I find 10,000 days to be their greatest jewel yet. Alex Grey has visionary hands, his painting Net of Being which was used for 10,000 Days took over 5 year to paint with searing psychedelic imagery. The stereoscopic lens featured as part of the Vicarious DVD as well as 10,0000 Days album is definitely unique and something i have never seen in any other musical package. There is a sense of a call to action for me when listening to TOOL as there is a sense of hope in their expression, dedication and inspiration. New TOOL album 2014!!! Check out TOOLArchive on Utube & Tumblr for tasty rarities.

...(.o.O.o.)...

• 4 weeks later...

It's just such a new and fantastic process each and every time! I think it has been a spiralling progression leading toward a more spiritual/mystical perspective. I find 10,000 days to be their greatest jewel yet. Alex Grey has visionary hands, his painting Net of Being which was used for 10,000 Days took over 5 year to paint with searing psychedelic imagery. The stereoscopic lens featured as part of the Vicarious DVD as well as 10,0000 Days album is definitely unique and something i have never seen in any other musical package. There is a sense of a call to action for me when listening to TOOL as there is a sense of hope in their expression, dedication and inspiration. New TOOL album 2014!!! Check out TOOLArchive on Utube & Tumblr for tasty rarities.

...(.o.O.o.)...

read the rules

I'm trying to stay optimistic about this but as time goes on I'm starting to lose a little of my enthusiasm and wondering if this album is becoming their "chinese democracy" or something simillar... I'd love to be proven wrong, and see them end on a high note in a brilliant swan song, but I fear that perhaps the band is past their prime and if maynard's possible fleeting interest will come at a cost to the overall sound. I think my pessimism comes in how disappointed I was in 10k Days, but to be fair I probably owe that album a re-visit and another chance.

• 1 month later...

I like Tool's music for the most part, but watching his podcasts with Joe Rogan makes him seem sort of annoying and really boring.

What do you expect from a middle aged millionaire? Him to be the same angry person he was in his twenties?

Did anyone else notice how Danny Carey`s gun/right arm combines with whatever Adam Jones is holding in his tongs to form what vaguely looks like the Aphex Twin logo? Expect a new Aphex Twin in the next couple months.

Did anyone else notice how Danny Carey`s gun/right arm combines with whatever Adam Jones is holding in his tongs to form what vaguely looks like the Aphex Twin logo? Expect a new Aphex Twin in the next couple months.

omg collab

u heard it here first

Update (3/7): The band has issued a statement denying that the album is complete. Sorry to disappoint, Tool fans.

CUNT