IGNORED

BT

ZoeB

Most of his cool music comes from uncredited interns/staff. He has a team of people that comes up with cool ideas and do all of his editing grunt work. He is a corporation.

He said in a Reddit AMA that Binary Universe cost him $200,000 to make (and he claims to have not turned a profit but lost money on that one) maybe the high cost of producing that album was due to hiring people to do c-sound crap for him?

pretty sure you're right about that. I think one of the people he hired for it was richard devine, but I don't remember where I heard that (here somewhere I think) so that might not be right.

they collaborated on a soundtrack/sound design of a movie, I believe. If I remember correctly, the sound track and the sound design kind of acted together, so they teamed up (could be wrong). It's not my understanding that RD was working for BT. They became friends after this, and RD does remixes for BT from time to time.

BT is known for using a production technique he calls the stutter edit. This technique consists of taking a small fragment (or fragments) of sound and then repeating it rhythmically. BT was entered into the Guinness Book of World Records for his song "Somnambulist (Simply Being Loved)". This song was recognized as using the largest number of vocal edits in a song (6,178 edits).

holy fucking lol.

worst crap i heard in years Edited by Ivan Ooze

Most of his cool music comes from uncredited interns/staff. He has a team of people that comes up with cool ideas and do all of his editing grunt work. He is a corporation.

He said in a Reddit AMA that Binary Universe cost him $200,000 to make (and he claims to have not turned a profit but lost money on that one) maybe the high cost of producing that album was due to hiring people to do c-sound crap for him?

pretty sure you're right about that. I think one of the people he hired for it was richard devine, but I don't remember where I heard that (here somewhere I think) so that might not be right.

BT's hired his own Richard Devine, Brian Trifon

BT is known for using a production technique he calls the stutter edit. This technique consists of taking a small fragment (or fragments) of sound and then repeating it rhythmically. BT was entered into the Guinness Book of World Records for his song "Somnambulist (Simply Being Loved)". This song was recognized as using the largest number of vocal edits in a song (6,178 edits).

holy fucking lol.

worst crap i heard in years

I imagine both of these beat that record anyway without even attempting such juvenile stunts -

The first and last tracks and 'See You on the Other Side' on This Binary Universe are incredible, the rest of it's quite poor. As a kid I really liked the singles from ESCM. Flaming June is still lovely, in a 90s commercial trance kind of way. Everything else I've heard of his is terrible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt_tjQSdl30

This is good, no one can say otherwise

it's *decent* and as it's not really king douche himself behind most of it I'm sure, I probably wouldn't mind listening to it if it didn't have the name BT attached to it. the BT stigma is just too much for me though.

also as it's more of a product and not music as an expression, it doesn't have any real emotion to it.

Edited by ganus

So if I get the general consensus right, pretty much no one else here likes his music, because:

1. The artist cares "too much" about his image
  2. It doesn't have enough "soul"
  3. It lacks direction
  4. The vocals are bad
  5. It's a team effort, without credit given where it's due

As I'm a fan of music, not musicians, I don't care about the first point. (But hey, I guess at least you're objectifying men and women equally?)

I'm curious about the second point, though. Is this a lack of emotion, or originality, or sincerity, that you're perceiving..?

The lack of direction is also intriguing. I view it as a plus point, his music takes you all over the place, like a wild ride, and it never feels contrived in changing direction, merely interesting.

As far as the vocals go, yes, the lyrics seem a bit trite and direct, but at least he's put in the effort to actually write lyrics. For a lot of music fans, they're a necessity.

The team effort thing's interesting. Is it the lack of credit you object to, or a group of people co-operating in order to make music together? I've heard the same criticism raised against Hans Zimmer, and in both cases, I think the music itself is often great, regardless of how it was made or by who. Yes, people should be given proper credit, but can anyone cite a source regarding Zimmercorp or Transeaucorp? I guess I shouldn't even bother asking what people here think of Xenomania...

I guess I don't make a distinction anymore between manufactured music and artistic music. If it sounds good, it is good. If it's popular, good for the artist. Making music that people want to hear in order to subsidise making artistic music sounds like a pretty good strategy to me, and who says the two have to be mutually exclusive anyway?

As I'm a fan of music, not musicians, I don't care about the first point.

Seriously, I envy you on this. I will not/cannot listen to music if the person who makes it is a douchebag, even if I would otherwise like it (last step and acidwolf, for example) because I cannot separate their personality from the music.

Edited by ganus

Seriously, I envy you on this. I will not/cannot listen to music if the person who makes it is a douchebag, even if I would otherwise like it (last step and acidwolf, for example) because I cannot separate their personality from the music.

Haha... Well, I like (some) Apple products, and yet I firmly believe that Steve Jobs was an actual psychopath, so... :) Sometimes bad people can either make good things, or get other people to make good things for them.

It's not like I know the first thing about whether any of the musicians I like are actually nice people or not. I've never met them. The same goes for the people who make all the other products I buy. I just have to buy them or not based on their own merits, not their creators' personalities.

Guest RadarJammer

Interesting subject. I would be shit out of luck if I boycotted movies with actors who I don't like on a personal level (Hollywood is infested with scientology yuck) but if they are doing their job right then your idea of who they are changes into something imaginative. Some of my least favorite actors (as people) are actually some of my favorite actors (as actors).

In the case of BT and similar musicians, having the ™ personality package attached makes it feel more like a guilty pleasure.