IGNORED

Your Stereo

Hugh Mughnus

My vintage pioneer receiver broke down and I replaced it with a Toshiba that just doesn't have the same sound. Next year I want to buy a vintage marantz or something old and nice.

@Hugh Mughnus

Not an expert but it probably has to do with a crossover between the sub and the pair of speakers. Crossover is a highpass/lowpass filter between them and sometimes to have it implemented correctly in a frequency domain you need to have opposed phases higher vs lower the crosspoint. It depends on type of speakers and type of filters used for a crossover and if/how compensations in time domain have been implemented. 

Try what works for you but if your walls are shaking that doesn’t necessarily mean that you have the sub working correctly. Maybe it’s boosting resonant freqs too much.

Edited by xox
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, xox said:

@Hugh Mughnus

Not an expert but it probably has to do with a crossover between the sub and the pair of speakers. Crossover is a highpass/lowpass filter between them and sometimes to have it implemented correctly in a frequency domain you need to have opposed phases higher vs lower the crosspoint. It depends on type of speakers and type of filters used for a crossover and if/how compensations in time domain have been implemented. 

Try what works for you but if your walls are shaking that doesn’t necessarily mean that you have the sub working correctly. Maybe it’s boosting resonant freqs too much.

heh, I was just being a simpleton when I described the walls shaking - I can tell the subs are now working properly not just based on the volume and low ext etc but the sound quality of the system overall.  ?

Yeah I honestly have no idea - I moved a while back but never changed the settings on my system despite this room being much larger. I guess it's not a big deal as long as everything is now sounding better - I'm just not educated in some of this stuff, not sure where to start. lol

cheers, happy new year ? 

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

20211102_145350.thumb.jpg.ac5be9402d3d0ac2d2083ff275c73a6f.jpg

edit:  I'm really happy with it. the guy at the store was super helpful and we plugged it in so i could hear it and he told me that the marantz could make bad speakers sound good because of the warmth that they have. i'm using a pair of boston acoustics bookshelf speakers because my living room is quite small and the shop also had the next step up for that model. A slightly larger speaker and it sounded ace but as i can't listen to too much bass without the neighbors hearing it upstairs i'll have to think about it.

Edited by yekker
  • Like 6

For my living room, I’ve been rocking this bad boy (Yamaha GX-5) since 95/96 and the speakers are surprisingly good, considering it’s size…

spacer.png

I also have one of these in Aux1 so I can use my Technics 1200…

spacer.png

Frankly, I’m shocked that this stuff has lasted as long as it has, considering multiple moves, etc. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, J3FF3R00 said:

For my living room, I’ve been rocking this bad boy (Yamaha GX-5) since 95/96 and the speakers are surprisingly good, considering it’s size…

spacer.png

I also have one of these in Aux1 so I can use my Technics 1200…

spacer.png

Frankly, I’m shocked that this stuff has lasted as long as it has, considering multiple moves, etc. 

You can hear your technics on aux?

HDMI Yamaha receiver from 2012 doesn’t seem to like 4K streaming, hiccups fairly often when switching apps on Apple TV. On the upside, new cartridge on turntable sounds excellent, went too long between replacements.