IGNORED

Your Stereo

Hugh Mughnus

This thread NEEDS to be revived. I find it really interesting to see how you all listen to music.

Mine's a tiny bit outdated since I got some isolation pads yesterday but it essentially looks the same. Plus I don't feel like setting the records up that way again.

2h2nzit.jpg

I have the speakers hooked up to the computer/turntable and also you can see the HD650's I got recently on the side there as well. I'm just waiting for my headphone amp to arrive now so I have it all combined nicely. 

why do you place your monitors upside down?

This thread NEEDS to be revived. I find it really interesting to see how you all listen to music.

Mine's a tiny bit outdated since I got some isolation pads yesterday but it essentially looks the same. Plus I don't feel like setting the records up that way again.

2h2nzit.jpg

I have the speakers hooked up to the computer/turntable and also you can see the HD650's I got recently on the side there as well. I'm just waiting for my headphone amp to arrive now so I have it all combined nicely. 

why do you place your monitors upside down?

Because I'm a madlad. And because my couch is pretty low and I want the tweeters to be at ear level so I guess that works. 

but then the heavy bass particles put pressure on the high frequency particles from above and this will result in phase inversions AND constipation issues - worst of both worlds imo

but then the heavy bass particles put pressure on the high frequency particles from above and this will result in phase inversions AND constipation issues - worst of both worlds imo

Don't know anything about that.

I've been having asshole herpes though since around the time I flipped them so that's probably why. Thanks for pointing that out.

I've been having asshole herpes though since around the time I flipped them so that's probably why. Thanks for pointing that out.

doesn't your turntable start resonating with the speakers on the same stand?

i listen to music on my studio monitors (neumann kh120a) but i'm planing to buy an entry-level wi-fifi systema, for upto 2k euros; 300 euros for speakers+integrated amp+digital source and the rest for quality cables

:emotawesomepm9:

I've gotten some isolation pads since I took the pic so not anymore I think, I haven't really noticed. I don't play it too loud anyway.

I've gotten some isolation pads since I took the pic so not anymore I think, I haven't really noticed. I don't play it too loud anyway.

:ok: 

i listen to music on my studio monitors (neumann kh120a) but i'm planing to buy an entry-level wi-fifi systema, for upto 2k euros; 300 euros for speakers+integrated amp+digital source and the rest for quality cables

yeah don't aim lower than gold plated cables or else you'll suffer from rusted sound... Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

neumann kh120a are pretty much the perfect speakers, just add a subwoofer and you're done. there's really nothing you can add to improve them, unless they don't go loud enough for you.

neumann kh120a are pretty much the perfect speakers, just add a subwoofer and you're done. there's really nothing you can add to improve them, unless they don't go loud enough for you.

yes, im veeeery happy with them. im still new to them, learning how they work in mixing and production enviroments and they're loud enough for my needs. for now i dont need a sub but im planing to buy the neumann kh805 sub but only after i move to my new house where im gonna have much bigger room/studio, around 25 m2. 

you have them too?

I listen to everything through my studio monitors, which might be too brutally honest to some to simply enjoy listening to music, but I love them. I went for the whole Amphion system (One15 + Amp100 + cables) and it definitely is the best purchase I’ve ever made. Soundcard is a SPL Crimson mk1, which is an amazing piece of gear (and quite affordable for such quality).

I barely ever listen to my vinyle records, so it’s FLAC/Apple Lossless > Crimson > some custom made Mogami XLR cables > Amp100 > Amphion cables > One15. Oh and the monitors are on stands, with some sorbothane bumpers in between.

I won’t update anytime soon, or ever actually. I’ve always lust for the best monitoring system I could have, and I’m done. I’ll never be able to spend that much on gear ever again anyway ^^

• 8 months later...

I'm still shopping and researching etc to upgrade all of my components but I really don't know where to turn these days without paying a consultant...?

I want high spl efficient but quality sounding speakers like they used to make in the 70s-late 80s (think JBL etc) but companies don't seem to cater to that market anymore or something?

The room I'm dealing with is quite large. 

le-sigh 

Get a Devialet Phantom Gold mate. 2 of them if you can facilitate it. Job done. Serious.

lol that's hilarious. I was on amazon earlier looking at speakers and that popped up as a recommendation, so I read through the specs and reviews etc. 

Hope you were just kidding because ah... looks... like crap. 

Know how many burgers you can buy with that kinda dough?

Edit: there's no way these little things push the kinds of numbers they claim to is there? I've seen pics of the cabinets coming unglued/unsealed too. I can't tell if srs. Half the reviews sound like people paid to make positive reviews but other magazines etc are recommending them. Even the advertising of "4500w peak power" is useless, they wouldn't survive 150w rms.

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

Some of the Kef lineup looks good. 

Canton and Tannoy as well. More so Canton.. the tannoys wouldn't be big enough.

Also not versed in electrostats….

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

so, although i bought my own genelec m040's that i have grown to love, i now also have adam A77X's, which for a similar price, i actually prefer. they are so much bassier though. for listening purposes though, i obviously just have them both on at the same time. 

so, although i bought my own genelec m040's that i have grown to love, i now also have adam A77X's, which for a similar price, i actually prefer. they are so much bassier though. for listening purposes though, i obviously just have them both on at the same time. 

Hey Mess, I'm unfamiliar with the A77X... It LOOKS like a center channel but from what I understand is a dual woofer monitor, is that correct? 

Specs look solid. What size of room are you using these in?

Hey Mess, I'm unfamiliar with the A77X... It LOOKS like a center channel but from what I understand is a dual woofer monitor, is that correct? 

Specs look solid. What size of room are you using these in?

a small but professionally treated 10x10 foot square studio space. they are very nice speakers for the price. the stereo field is fantastic. 

use this first: http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

make sure you get about 110db spl at your listening position, it's unlikely that you'll need more than that. then, seek out a flat measuring (on and off axis) speaker that can reach that and an amp or a receiver that can provide the juice (the latter is usually cheaper while offering more due to being positioned in a different and a more competitive market). ignore all reviews that do not measure the stuff they allege to review, they're payola or just talk out of their ass (for example whathifi, cnet).

some brands to pay attention to (not saying that everything they produce is great, but it's likely to be good): jbl, revel, genelec, neumann, adam, nht, canton, selah, psb, kef (though overpriced)

shit to avoid: modern b&w, modern klipsch

used speakers are also a very good idea, because decent speakers can last decades without any degradation.

What size room are you using that in? Approximately
Around 22 square meters.

It's overkill to be honest. If I have it at the lowest possible volume I still dial it down half on my computer for most of the listening. Got it 5 years ago (for same price, around 400€). Didn't expect it to be that big and loud when I ordered it. But I'm happy with it. Very precise sounding and a great reproduction of room. Reverbs sound amazing to my ears. Had tested it in 5 different rooms so far since I bought it. The accoustics of the room make a big difference too (obviously). I can recommend it. Sounds like a more expensive set of speakers to me but I don't have that much comparison. For me it's more than enough