IGNORED

Your Stereo

Hugh Mughnus

I'm not going to make music on a consumer stereo setup. That's why I have a 'studio'  :emotawesomepm9:  A home stereo is for listening to music, some coloration or color options via EQ/placement/etc, is totally normal and acceptable and generally preferable. 

actually jbl's lsr305 and the bigger lsr308 monitors are probably the best speakers for their price ever produced, they come very close to perfection and only cost a few hundred bucks.

I have the 305s and they are one of the best purchases I've made. I'm no audiophile or anything but yeah, the response seems incredibly even over the entire spectrum. Random bass notes don't boom while others disappear. Mids and highs are present and meaty. They don't sound clinical either. I don't know if I'd call them warm, but maybe neutral. Not warm or "cold". They are in my computer/sometimes music making room. I don't like them being on the desk up against the wall/corner, but tight on space. Want them on stands behind the desk one day.

I have Sony SS-F5000P Towers in the living room and some random early 2000's receiver I bought used for $20 (Techwood brand). Bassier and warmer than the JBL's. More of a pleasure to listen to SOMETIMES than the monitors. Better for the larger room too, probably. Sony doesn't get a lot of love for their audio equipment but for $140 almost ten years ago, these have been very good to me.

Big believer in stereo. Small satellites with a subwoofer can be good, but there can be huge, noticeable holes in the sound too. And surround is awful for music. Not to be a snob. I'm pretty poor and had to save up to just get the JBLs. 

Z5Qpuhfl.jpg

XIYFutQl.jpg

Interesting small thread on JBL. Seems they laid off their top talent in 2016. Implied is that the consumer division of products will suffer in coming years....

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?38066-Another-sad-day-for-JBL

George Timbers was responsible for the design of some of their best models, the recent 4367, the Everest systems, K2, and even the L250ti I'm looking to potentially buy. (Numerous other models, enclosures, transducers etc as well from what I'm reading). 

He was with the company for 44 years. Jerry Moro was another lead engineer. I believe they both were involved in r&d for those 305s and 308s (I'm reading second hand in forums though so not positive...)

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

Definitely a bad sign. 

Harmon Kardon really is a shit company now. They used to have some quality products back in the day.

At least you and Eugene got those 305s!! 

Very popular model. I'd be inclined to grab a pair, but the room I am upgrading is approximately 18' x 25'.

Actually, I might still grab a pair for the home office, everything I've read about them the last few days + all of your guys comments on them make them sound (lol) like a winner. 

I'm not going to make music on a consumer stereo setup. That's why I have a 'studio'  :emotawesomepm9:  A home stereo is for listening to music, some coloration or color options via EQ/placement/etc, is totally normal and acceptable and generally preferable. 

This.

Whether it sounds accurate is a problem of engineering. 

Whether it sounds good is a problem of metaphysics.

Edited by RSP

Currently:

Technics SA-929 receiver

Realistic MC-1800 speakers

pfrsApO.jpg

^GW buys woot (gave the deck below to a friend)

Tape decks:

JVC TD-V541 3-head 

Sanyo RD-5372 3-head

Sony TC-WE475 dual deck

I've probably gone through 4 other decks in trades/CL buys. The JVC has awesome playback sound.

And...

Centrex RH-65 8-track player. Yes an 8-track player. Apparently one of the "best" ever made, found it on craigslist.

Been trying to find a decent turntable and a 70s receiver or amp/tuner with little luck: Austin is heavy on collectors and low on vintage gear to score cheap.

I miss this setup :(

Have a nice early 80s Yamaha though now, 2-head Nakamichi deck, and a fun EQ as well, can't complain.

EQ.... I've got a nice Peavey EQ I have to setup but don't have the cables for.

My receiver has an onboard EQ (like on-screen, have to hookup the receiver to TV via s video) but the UI is clunky as hell, hard to use. Would much prefer the physical eq.

i actually do want a bluetooth speaker for my room, ive got a wharfdale setup but im fed up of having a cable drapsed over the room into my phone. any recs for somthing that is like 150 quid? doesnt need to be remotely loud, alright quality would be nice though.

I actually have two of those Sony ones, they're ace. Nice spectrum and oomph to them for what they are.

One I keep at my gf's for when I'm there and we watch a movie (she's one of those people who doesn't hear any difference between the very worst laptop speakers and actual speakers) and the other I use in my kitchen when I'm cooking.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-SRS-X11-Portable-Wireless-Bluetooth-Black/dp/B00UGJQWXY

Edited by hello spiral

i actually do want a bluetooth speaker for my room, ive got a wharfdale setup but im fed up of having a cable drapsed over the room into my phone. any recs for somthing that is like 150 quid? doesnt need to be remotely loud, alright quality would be nice though.

not sure your setup, but the logical way if you want to use your existing speakers is to run a bluetooth adapter into your receiver.  I use this guy

s-l640.jpg

i believe those silly home / echo devices do the same thing plus they listen to your voice if youre into that

Edited by Marked x 0ne

I saw a few options in bookshelf sized speakers for that price actually. I think Edifier had some good reviews, but I have zero experience with the brand or any options. You're not going to get great sound but likely better than the portable ones...unless you're looking for portable of course.