IGNORED

A few albums recently listened.

murve33

Tera Melos - X'ed Out (2013)

I liked these guys when they were instrumental math rock, truly great stuff. I wasn't too into their last album, Patagonian Rats, where they introduced vocals. The vocals were chaotic and combined with chaotic math rock it was just too overwhelming and messy. This...sort of feels the same, but maybe a little less messy. I've either accepted this new style or it actually is a little more thought-out. Still, I'm not sure about the replay value. I don't really listen to much math rock these days anyway.

Savages - Savages (2013)

This promised to be a really great post-punk album. Unfortunately I don't care for the vocals so it doesn't sound all that great to me. Maybe I'll try it a third time and see if it grows on me.

The Black Angels - Directions to See a Ghost (2013)

After their new release, I decided I should check out the one album of theirs I'd yet to hear, and it turns out to be their best.

Mahotella Queens - Meet the Mahotella Queens: 60's music out of South Africa. Their harmonies are lovely, and their contrast with whats-his-face's weird-ass baritone throaty voice really work. A great feel good record, 9/10

MadToons Beat Orchestra - Self Titled: I thought Reaching Quiet, Miss Ohio's Nameless, and The Split EP were Why? and Odd Nosdams only collaborations, but there's this single as well. Track 1 is perfect. Why? uses an array of goofy voices throughout the track which is put to Nosdam's more old school production style. Track 2 is alright. 9/10

Strut Records Sampler: There's some good and some bad. Either way it's free, so go download it.

various artists (?) - applied music vol.1 - science & nature: jon brooks nerds out with a library music style album for documentary films packaged similar to bruton releases but sounding more like something from either apollo sound or pastoral parry music.

the focus group - elektrik karousel: hands down the best focus group release, and (imo) slightly removed in terms of concept from the other ghost box releases. also, no logotones this time.

Went camping this weekend, busted out a lot of folktronica/folky accoustic stuff while sitting around the campfire as well as some essential BoC...

Boards of Canada - The Campfire Headphase & IABPOITC: First time I've ever really listened to TCH while sitting around a campfire, in that setting it was fucking great.

Bibio - Silver Wilkinson & Hand Cranked: New Bibio is great, hand cranked is an early classic, it's Bibo it's all good stuff

Four Tet - Pause & Rounds: Four Tet seems to get some flak round here lately, newer stuff is kinda lame but these first two albums are classics.

Talkdemonic - Eyes At Half Mast: The band's name totally contradicts the sound, sounds like a metal band, but it's a great little duo mostly consisting of drums, accoustic guitars/banjos and violins/cellos, etc.. making folky post-rock, really great stuff.

O'Death - Outside: Great Accoustic/Folk/Alt Country (old style real country not the modern country-pop stuff) group, 6 members and a multitude of instruments.

Radiohead - In Rainbows: Their most laid-back album IMO, melodic and mellow.

A few (black) metal albums recently listened hell fucking yeah

Emperor - In the nightside eclipse 8/10

Emperor - Athems at the welkin at dusk 8,5/ 10

Emperor - IX equilibrum 9,5/10

Vintersorg - Odemarken son 6,5/10

Drudkh - Blood in our wells 8,5/10

Taake - Hordalands doedskvad 10/10

Mayhem - Chimera 6/10

Negura Bunget - Om 9/10

Nargaroth - Jahreszeiten 7,5/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvfQqJeNF08&feature=player_detailpage

Borknagar - The olden domain 8/10

Sargeist - Disciple of the heinous path 5/10

Solefald - In harmonia universali 10/10

Dimmu Borgir - Stormblast (1996 ) 9/10

Carpethian Forest - Defending the throne of evil 7/10

Satyricon - Nemesis divina 10/10

Arcturus - The sham mirrors 8,5/10

Enslaved - Below the lights 10/10

Deathspell Omega - Paracletus 9/10

Gorgoroth - Under the sign of hell (1997) 9,5/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=PECQEh0ARL0

Agalloch - The mantle 5/10

Ackercocke - The goat of mendes 7/10

Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss 8,5/10

Man. I was listening to the Wolves In The Throne Room pandora station everyday lady summer. A ton of that same stuff was in frequent rotation.

I was in a bit of a black hole of nihilism.

I can definitely enjoy the genre, but I can't see myself getting too into the artists, per say. Maybe you would have recommendations for someone who likes WITTR?

I dig Burzum, but too much makes me feel sad.

What I like is the melodic/ambient quality that's blurred by the static of the noisy guitars.

A couple albums I've ingested lately are:

Margo Guryan - Take A Picture

I feel like I talk about her a lot here. Maybe it's just me. I'm petty much in love with her. She only released 1 LP in 1968. It's baroque pop, at its finest. Her songwriting is amazing. The album is loaded with catchy hooks, creative progressions, beautiful lyrics and some funky drum breaks. Her voice is great too. She has a bit of MBV whisper that she sings all of her songs in. I crush on her hard when I listen to this album.

10/10

Donovan - The Sensual Donovan

I don't expect you guys to be into Donovan, but you never know. I'm a HUGE fan. I've seen he live 2-3 times. I own most of his LPs and I even got his autograph once.

Anyway, this album is his "lost album". He recorded it in 1970 with John Phillips (of Mamas n Papas fame) and then forgot he recorded it. It was basically sitting in a box for 43 years.

It's blue-eyed soul, 4 years prior to Bowie's Young Americans. Really slick grooves, fuzz guitar, bongos, soulful lyrics. Dope shit.

My only gripe is that the album feels like it's not really a final mix. Some songs are louder than others. I feel like it could also use a little extra reverb or something. Still, definitely worth a spin.

9/10

Here is a link. You should buy it. He released it himself...

http://www.donovan.ie/en/2012/12/donovan-new-release-the-sensual-donovan/

Man. I was listening to the Wolves In The Throne Room pandora station everyday lady summer. A ton of that same stuff was in frequent rotation.

I was in a bit of a black hole of nihilism.

I can definitely enjoy the genre, but I can't see myself getting too into the artists, per say. Maybe you would have recommendations for someone who likes WITTR?

I dig Burzum, but too much makes me feel sad.

What I like is the melodic/ambient quality that's blurred by the static of the noisy guitars.

Buy/steal everything i gave more then a 9 for sure :cisfor: , i think you might also like Drudkh - blood in our wells ( i got it for 5euro on i-tunes, deathspell omega releases are also 5euro!! :flower: )

Also the last TAAKE album "Noregs vaapen" is absolute KILLER i can't help myself from playing everyday since i got it :music: , brilliant!

Guest TVHEAD

Been a bit through various discographies..

David Bowie Heroes

David Bowie Outside

David Bowie The Next Day

Kylesa Ultraviolet (great new album, check it out)
Tesseract One

Tesseract Altered State

Converge Axe To Fall

Converge Jane Doe

Converge All We Love We Leave Behind

Can Monster Movie

Queens Of The Stone Age ...Like Clockwork

Queens Of The Stone Age Songs For The Deaf

Queens Of The Stone Age Era Vulgaris

Queens Of The Stone Age Lullabies To Paralyze

Queens Of The Stone Age Rated R

Baroness The Blue Album

Baroness Yellow & Green

Mastodon Leviathan (one of the greatest metal albums ever imo)

Mastodon Blood Mountain

Mastodon The Hunter

There are some..

990PJdm.jpg

The electronic music studio of the University Of Melbourne was Established in it's present form in 1973 with the aid of a grant from the Gulbenkian Foundation, At it's heart is a Synthi 100 analogue synthesiser, Made by EMS of London, Linked to a PDP 11/10 Computer. The studio serves as a work shop for composers, as well as providing teaching facility for the University's Faculty Of Music; In addition, research is taken into Analogue hybrid and direct sound synthesis.

while you might imagine something in the realm of bbc's radiophonic workshop, this is actually more like dick raaijmaker's output for the philips research laboratories except (maybe) a little more structured. 6 tracks of gorgeously cold and wobbly electronics occasionally blasting out rays of noise.

seriously mind-bending stuff

ashra "new age of earth"

totally lush! this is like floating in a synthesizer cloud over an enchanted grove where naked ladies bath in rainbows.

this is such a good album

Sister of Mercy - Floodland Always been a classic album for me, and still sounds ridiculously over the top and awesome 10/10

Neu!75 Their best album imo 8/10

Squarepusher - Hard Normal Daddy My favorite SP album along with Go Plastic 9/10

BOC - TH The initial adrenaline rush has subsided and now I am settling nicely into this

Sugar - Beaster Classic ep 9/10

Slayer - South of Heaven Classic lp 9/10

Sun Ra - No actual album but listening to some of his stuff over youtube

King Crimson - Red

First time listen for me. Bit late on this. Now I see where Tool got all their inspiration from (and another gazzilion bands....)

Oh yeah sounds bloody amazing. Intense, really intense.

Edited by beerwolf

Phoenix - Bankrupt. I was quite let down by their latest opus "Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix" which I never really got but this one totally grew on me. It's like one 40 minutes long piece of amazing synth pop that I could listen to on repeat. Some tracks are ambitious (like "Bankrupt!"), some tracks echo each other and in the end the album is hyper cohesive and dense. Their best up to date imo (if you like the buzzy, old school synth patches tho)

Check out Angels and Demons at Play, that's a pretty great album.

will do

will do

Also, check Lanquidity, On Jupiter, and Sleeping Beauty.

will do

Also, check Lanquidity, On Jupiter, and Sleeping Beauty.

will do, I remember listening to some tracks off Lanquidity, I was very impressed. and as far as I know I don't like jazz!!! had something special about it

Listening to Deafheaven - Sunbather and seeing them in sf on the 15th. Strong contender for my album of the year 2013, i just have a hard time comparing something like with with Exai or the Haxan Cloak. Anyways, heres a full album stream of what i consider one of the most beautiful metal albums i've heard