Sign in to follow this  
murve33

A few albums recently listened.

On 9/19/2019 at 11:40 PM, J3FF3R00 said:

Ok. So this album is one of the most popular albums of all time, but I’ve (thankfully) rediscovered it about a year ago and, my god. It’s fucking unbelievably good. 

Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water 

Please, especially if you aren’t familiar with it, listen to the whole damn thing (preferably on headphones) with an open mind. It’s truly incredible. I just listened to it all the way through again on the plane yesterday and I am profoundly struck, yet again, by how incredible it is. 

Growing up I was aware of S&G and liked a few tracks enough, like with many 60s bands before I started digging into that decade. I was actually more familiar with Paul Simon as a solo artist growing up in the 80s. But sometime around 2009 my then-girlfriend had gone out of state for an internship and I dug through some of her CDs, deciding to listen to Simon and Garfunkel's Greatest Hits. I was hooked instantly. Of course I very quickly sought out the proper albums and really, they're all fantastic. My favorite is Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme. I did the same thing with The Smiths around the same time, starting with her copy of Hatful of Hollow. Just hadn't bothered to listen to them beyond the singles before then. But back on the topic of 60s folk rock, I'll tack on a recommendation for The Byrds' first 6 albums as being true gems. If you've only heard the songs "Turn! Turn! Turn!" and "Mr. Tambourine Man", I don't blame you for not having the urge to dig deeper, but you're missing out. I'm not knocking the songs, but they've certainly been played enough.

34 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

But back on the topic of 60s folk rock, I'll tack on a recommendation for The Byrds' first 6 albums as being true gems. If you've only heard the songs "Turn! Turn! Turn!" and "Mr. Tambourine Man", I don't blame you for not having the urge to dig deeper, but you're missing out. I'm not knocking the songs, but they've certainly been played enough.

Actually, I’ve also recently been digging into the early byrds stuff, for the first time. They are pretty rad. All of the groovy harmonies and 12-strings. :music:

• Like 1

Beach House - Bloom

Been listening to Flaty's Generic TARGZ a lot. Kind of short but really good all the way through. The first track 'Elevation' is excellent, simple but tasteful percussion, swell pads. 

This song really did it yo, it got me. :cattears:

Gave a spin to The Rise of Hobo Johnson out of sheer curiosity last night and I actually found it to be not too bad...

... I liked a few tracks and found Hobo Johnson to be entertaining with his poetic flows and goofy verses. I was more entertained by it than JPEGMAFIA's All My Heroes Are Cornballs, which had some interesting production but a pretty annoying voice.

...should I be ashamed? :wtf: