IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

got an email yesterday saying someone set up a bogus PSN acct using my email, although I've never owned a PS3, been on PSN, or given Sony my personal info (at least game wise). Should I bother to kill it? Knowing it will involve being on hold to talk to some lame CSR forever.

Here's the info they provided:

"address: beer, titties, your moms asshole"

Aye, it's probably a phishing email.

I couldn't get excited by a cinematic trailer made of no in game footage

Absolutely, I don't know why that's still a thing - Here's an ad for a game showing absolutely nothing that'll be in the game: Enjoy the game !

Well it's CD Projekt RED, that's reason enough for a lot of people (including me) to get excited. The amazing production values of that teaser will carry through to the final game.

Edited by Ego

Guest fiznuthian

Sorry if jazz but WOW! Plus I love the trailer's epic Glass esque tune

Could this be the game that dethrones World of Warcraft?

Edited by fiznuthian

The choice of music in that trailer is fucking horrible.

Anyway... I'm really interested in this. Thematically 'cyperpunk' of course did go out of fashion in the 90's. But as the big dork that I am, I fucking miss it. So it's nice to see when someone revisiting it. Deus EX: HR also did this, maybe it's starting to get more popular again, I don't know (I hope so).

Another one is that Syndicate FPS game. I saw at a store really cheap the other day. Has anyone played it/is it worth picking up?

Edited by Npoess

Guest Frankie5fingers

Sorry if jazz but WOW! Plus I love the trailer's epic Glass esque tune

Could this be the game that dethrones World of Warcraft?

nah, nothing can "dethrone" WoW. but that said that looks really cool and has piqued my interest.

Edited by Frankie5fingers

Crusader Kings 2 and only Crusader Kings 2. My glorious Islamic Sultanate now extends all the way from Benghazi to Tangier, and as for Iberia - oh ho ho, how I've fucked Iberia. Granada, Seville and Lisboa have all fallen beneath the sword of Islam. Our long-term goal is to invade Britain, but that's probably at least 100 years in the future if it ever happens. For now, we'll continue to pluck off Spanish territory until we've got a real foothold on mainland Europe.

This is the first time I've managed to make a Muslim dynasty last more than about 50 years before getting wiped out. It's a fun way to play the game - a lot more focus on conquest and carefully managing your beloved sons / threatening brothers. The unique events and decisions are flavourful and brilliant too.

are you happy now? you just made compson cry

sounds quite realistic

Forgot I didn't finish Max Payne 3 so gave it another go and finished it. I'm a bit partial to the story. The delivery in the narration is certainly noir enough despite the setting. But I thought the intrigue was lacking. Maybe because they all seem like untrustworthy assholes from the get-go. It's certainly a lot of fun once you get into the rhythm and start connecting headshots. The attention to detail in the player and enemy animations is fantastic. The animation tech really allows you to read a group of enemies to see which are the most immediate threat so you can prioritize shooting and movement. I still think there was no need for a cover system. This game is most fun when you break away from cover and move in aggressively.

And oh my the fidelity on the PC is amazing. Some fantastic, detailed scenery. I really hope they pushed some of that high definition pipeline into GTA V. The character shading looks somewhat similar to what we've seen in the GTA V trailers.

Edited by Ego

SimCity 2000

I think I've finally figured out what kind of game I like to play. City simulation. It's relaxing, open ended, and creative, as well as slightly technical.

I haven't gotten that far but I'm going to start over to make sure my highways and trains can run properly.

I'm curious though if anyone has played 3000, SimCity 4, or other simulation games and if they can recommend.

Or, if certain slow paced real time strategy games might be recommended as similar... Civilization seems slightly similar but I feel like the combat makes it into a just another causer of irritable bowel syndrome and grinding teeth.

I might actually upgrade my mac to play Sim City 5... seems the logical idea. Not sure what the requirements will be.

In the meantime, you guys can play SimCity 2000 100% free with DOSBOX and you can download it straight off of this one website, in case people didn't know that. This website gog something or other... charges 6 bucks for it. Do not pay.

Actually Sim City 4 might be a better option:

Because there are a lot of people out there who are just expecting this to be a better simcity 4 (becasue that would be the obvious and expected direction of the game) and are not looking into the development and do not know how much of a direction shift this game has taken. These people need to know this before they throw away $80 on some crappy high-end facebook game. Once again, how am i preventing people from enjoying it? If what I say upsets you, your problem is with the devs, not me.

Plus I rather like the "blocky" aspect of 2000

Edited by vamos scorcho

Guest Frankie5fingers
SimCity 2000

I think I've finally figured out what kind of game I like to play. City simulation. It's relaxing, open ended, and creative, as well as slightly technical.

I haven't gotten that far but I'm going to start over to make sure my highways and trains can run properly.

I'm curious though if anyone has played 3000, SimCity 4, or other simulation games and if they can recommend.

Or, if certain slow paced real time strategy games might be recommended as similar... Civilization seems slightly similar but I feel like the combat makes it into a just another causer of irritable bowel syndrome and grinding teeth.

Simcity 3000 is friggin amazing and you should definitely make that your ultimate City simulation game. i made a city in that game and used every single space. i was very proud that day but even after all that i wanted to keep building. its so addicting.

Civ is also a great series but is more focused towards nation building than individual city planning. i would definitely recommend Civ 4 as a start. and the fighting isnt too bad (unless you bump the difficulty up, then it gets friggin impossible with moments where youll bash your face against your keyboard for an hour). so if you keep the difficulty down you can focus more on the nation building and diplomacy instead of the fighting.

as for recommendations, there was one city planning game that stood out for me, Caesar II. its based during the Roman era (obviously) but its all city planning with a bit of fighting, but you can also play on maps that dont have any fighting. i also played a similar game called Pharaoh. its basically the same as Caesar but based in Egypt. Impressions Games was an old company that made several city planning games but ive only played Caesar and Pharaoh. but you could look some of their other games up to see if they made others that were any good.

Anyway... I'm really interested in this. Thematically 'cyperpunk' of course did go out of fashion in the 90's. But as the big dork that I am, I fucking miss it. So it's nice to see when someone revisiting it. Deus EX: HR also did this, maybe it's starting to get more popular again, I don't know (I hope so).

Another one is that Syndicate FPS game. I saw at a store really cheap the other day. Has anyone played it/is it worth picking up?

Syndicate is fun but short. It isn't all to memorable but playable for sure.

Guest Frankie5fingers

ugh, that game is a horrible mark on a great series. the first two games were unbelievably awesome. even today they hold up well. why they decided to bring the series back with the FPS ill never know. dont get me wrong it is fun but like Zigg says, "not to memorable."

I ended up buying it, and started playing it. The shooting is actually a lot of fun. But other than that, it doens't seem to have much going for it. the whole 'breach' system is not a particularly fun mechanic. And that's a problem, since the whole the game seem to revolve around it.

Edited by Npoess

In Crusader Kings 2 news, they released the 1.09 patch and the new DLC - The Republic - a couple of days ago.

Post-patch weirdness with old saves means that I'll probably have to abandon my North African Muslim game - but we got a good couple of centuries out of it and became by far the most powerful Islamic dynasty west of the Arabian peninsula, so I consider it a success.

Now I'm enjoying the wealth, intrigue and prestige of playing as the Most Serene Republic of Venice.

Call me Leonardo – Serene Doge Leonardo di Urbino to be precise, but I’m not fussy about titles.

No, no. No need to doff your cap or prostrate yourself, young man; we’re no lords here. I’m just an honest merchant like yourself, doing my best with the hand God dealt me.

The Ziani family? Yes, nasty business, that. But you’ve got to understand: they started it. As one of the five patrician families of Venice, they can invite whoever they like to their ball – but snubbing the family of the Most Serene Doge was, shall we say, somewhat short-sighted.

And with only two adult males eligible for election to my seat, they were on thin ice anyway. The pair of them were basically asking to be excommunicated – and thankfully, the Pope agreed.

You have to see it my way. If I hadn’t imprisoned them and executed them, they could have spread their heresy and immorality throughout our fragile republic...

And now, with their entire family out of political action for a generation, the di Urbino family – proudly represented by my son Silvio – stand a much better chance of retaining our premier position in the Venetian hierarchy. Purely a side-effect, you understand.

Edited by Iain C

The new Grasshopper Manufacture game, 'Killer Is Dead" (from the guy who made Killer 7), looks amazing - at least the visual style does:

http://kotaku.com/5976678/get-a-good-look-at-killer-is-dead-the-new-game-from-killer7s-creator/gallery/1

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

I've never been able to enjoy his games wholeheartedly, there's always something in them that bugs the shit out of me, but I still play them. That does look incredibly lush indeed.