IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

Played Machinarium. Very artsy and beautiful music, but the actual game was horrible and an exercise in frustration with pixel hunting, movement issues, and the game not registering your mouse clicks reliably at the timed parts. Coming from the amount of recommends and indie packs I see it in, I think its very overhyped and has some very outstanding flaws that should have been addressed during the production. I'm not sure if it is because they used Flash as their platform or just an oversight.

5/10

I've been playing Cart Life for the most of the day.

It's quite depressing, and really fascinating.

I wouldn't mind giving it a try. I just finished what's been released of Papers Please which has a lot of potential for such a simple idea.

Guest Frankie5fingers

just started up Tomb Raider. pretty good so far, nothing spectacular. kinda reminds me a bit of Far Cry 3. but i definitely love the brutality of the game. right from the beginning and i get squished by a boulder. lol

That was a interesting video.

Part of the problem is also that production costs on games have sky rocketed, and they are only getting bigger and bigger with the new console generation. Which unfortunately doesn't leave a lot of room for innovation and "taking chances".

The whole mid-tier of gaming is pretty much dying. The only games that there are room for these day, are AAA games or low-budget indie games. I'm pretty sure the new Tomb Raider game sold 3.5 (on all consoles) on launch, and it was still considered a failure by the publisher. If a game can't sell 3.5 million on launch, without being considered a failure, it sure as hell looks bad.

Moderately successful sales numbers just aren't good enough anymore, which is really fucking depressing. That's why publishers are forcing their developers to make all these modern military shooters (or something similar) that is trying to be the next Call Of Duty. And that has led the industry become completely stale in terms of innovation and variety in genres and styles. I think it's pretty common among enthusiastic gamers that we are starting to get sick of first person shooters that always follows the same formula. And those games are completely flooding the market these years,

I wish more of the big publishers were like Take Two. Compared to EA, that makes every decision wrong these days. They actually make a lot of smart business decisions. They give their developers a longer leash, and they give the games the time they needs to be polished. Recently we have seen games like Borderlands 2, XCOM: EM and Bioshock: Infinite from Take Two, being given the time they time needed, and therefore being huge successes both commercially and critically (I know Bioshock: Infinite's sales numbed haven't been released yet, but it is expected to do very well).

And they haven't annualized the Grand Theft Auto series, which in the long run probably means the series won't face franchise fatigue like Assassins Creed, Halo and Call of Duty probably will face in the near future. I know these 3 series are still selling well, but the lack of innovation means the latest installments have been of disappointing quality. And if anyone needs proof that, that means the death of a franchise, they just need to look at the Tony Hawk series, which used to be huge back in the day.

Another example that time and effort pays off, is the main games in the Super Mario series (the platformers). The only reason that franchise has been able to stay so popular, for so many years is because of the quality. And again, if anyone needs proof of the opposite, they just have to look at the Sonic series.

I hope that made any sense. My english grammar is pretty shit.

Edited by Ceerial

Guest couch

I'm currently playing Osmos and Plague, Inc. Also looking forward to Age of Empires 2 HD. I hope it develops a thriving online community because that game is awesome and has been one of the few games I always can go back to playing.

Osmos has a cool ambient soundtrack and even a good Biosphere track! I'm surprised I never discovered this game until now.

The recently released necroa virus in Plague is really fun! Fuck you Greenland and Iceland, my fat-zombies will float to your island.

As for what Data and Ceerial are on about, I agree with them. It's hard for me to feel as entheuastic about it because I haven't spent money on console anything since the 360 was somewhat new. The Modern Warfare 2 hype did get me but after spending a week playing it I felt jipped. Perhaps I'm just not as easily impressed but I feel so indifferent about many of the big-name releases. Certainly not enough to justify buying a $300 console again. Especially since all I really did on 360 after a while was just play Castle Crashers on it while everybody else on the planet was playing MW2 online.

[youtubehd]XZxXEidtxHk[/youtubehd]

so the gist of it is that console drones are buying shitty games for 60$+endless dlcs and keep the shitty industry afloat that will produce even more shitty game until the drones will snap out of it ?

[youtubehd]XZxXEidtxHk[/youtubehd]

That video is by the same dude(s) that has been bitching and moaning about the Mass Effect 3 ending for over a year. His/her/their opinion on anything is completely invalid.

Edited by Friendly Foil

Osmos has a cool ambient soundtrack and even a good Biosphere track! I'm surprised I never discovered this game until now.

Osmos is a great mobile game, it's simple, challenging yet fun and relaxing especially with the awesome ambient soundtrack, I was pleased after downloading to hear some Biosphere and Loscil and Gas while playing.

Finished Bioshock: Infinite last night... that was a damn good game. The story is amazing, definitely a must-play IMO

Guest Frankie5fingers

Finished Bioshock: Infinite last night... that was a damn good game. The story is amazing, definitely a must-play IMO

i want to play it, but i never played the others. do i have to in order to play infinite? or will i be good story wise?

i want to play it, but i never played the others. do i have to in order to play infinite? or will i be good story wise?
From what I've heard, it's a lot more interesting if you've played the others.

There is one particular scene in Bioshock: Infinite that makes the game a little more impactful if you have played the original.
But it's not necessary at all, the stories in the two first games and Infinite has nothing to do with each other.

But I would recommend playing the first Bioshock, simply because it's a amazing game. And it still doesn't feel outdated at all.

Edited by Ceerial

Guest Frankie5fingers

yeah, all i hear is great things for the first one. so ill probably hit that up before playing infinite. but i heard that 2 sucks and that i really shouldnt bother with it. true?

Receiver,

Interesting game, randomized level layouts, the most realistic gun mechanics I've seen in a game so far, no saves, one shot death. Simple game but really creates tension.

ust copped metro 2033 in the steam sale for £3.50 aswell, hope this has a STALKER-esque feel to it.

yeah, all i hear is great things for the first one. so ill probably hit that up before playing infinite. but i heard that 2 sucks and that i really shouldnt bother with it. true?

I've played all three. Bioshock 2 is basically an extension of the first game. The only main difference is that you play as an early Big Daddy prototype. You can walk on the ocean floor without running out of O2 in some sections though. There's also a couple of new enemy types. Aside from that, there's nothing significantly different from the original.