IGNORED

XI year old Autechre Album Released: Exai (WARP234)

Guest pixelives

I cant wait to see the definitive reviews on this. Wire, et al. Even pitchfuckingfork. I also REALLY hope an interview comes out for this.

one thought I had while listening: I don't think this album could have possibly been released anytime before 2013. The world of music wouldn't grasp it. Now, in 2013, with experimental electronic aesthetics pretty much haven taken over everything (pop,indie,dance,dubstep,etc.) this album is released in a pop-cultural sonic environment that has a higher chance of even fucking knowing how to HEAR this type of music.

I'm

cd1 is the light and happy side

cd2 is the dark angry side

correct?

I'm dark & angry myself right now, bleep can die.

>

cd1 is the light and happy side

cd2 is the dark angry side

correct?

Too soon for me to say honestly. The first parts of cd1 seemed brutal for me.

CD1 is pretty much nonstop sonic warfare with a few moments to chill out and then a kind of healing process in bladelores

CD2 is an entirely different battle, switched up weapons, culminating in their most aggressive track ever, spl9, yet still moving with a lot of steam and girth behind it.

By the time you're done with exai your brain feels kind of like the 11th hour of a hard hard acid trip.

This

So they finally released it early. Welcome to Exailand I am glad the whining in this thread will stop now!

Btw, who did the leak so they had to release early?

steve_jobs.jpg

Edited by compson

I cant wait to see the definitive reviews on this. Wire, et al. Even pitchfuckingfork. I also REALLY hope an interview comes out for this.

Me too but I don't even know what they can say about this. They fucking did it. They totally redeemed themselves after Oversteps. I was sure they were heading off a cliff.

i dunno, i think this flows pretty naturally from oversteps and especially MoT. I really feel like they're just becoming more and more psychedelic. I mean we always knew they had that potential (the often quoted use of mushrooms during the creation of Chiastic), but their psychedelic tendencies were usually bound within a fairly controlled formal structure. That was one thing that made them such a pleasure to listen to, the tension between the tight formalism and the melodies and bizarre sounds.

I think that formalism has mostly exploded now, though. What we're left with is a lot of odd juxtapositions, random wtf moments, and some very interesting sonic experiments. Or we'll see, maybe I'll feel more form emerge from the music over time.

So they finally released it early. Welcome to Exailand I am glad the whining in this thread will stop now!

iTunes Japan started this

itunes japan put it out by accident or what? I didn't know this stuff

Guest pixelives

one thought I had while listening: I don't think this album could have possibly been released anytime before 2013. The world of music wouldn't grasp it. Now, in 2013, with experimental electronic aesthetics pretty much haven taken over everything (pop,indie,dance,dubstep,etc.) this album is released in a pop-cultural sonic environment that has a higher chance of even fucking knowing how to HEAR this type of music.

I think this also goes into that idea I had where a larger chunk of electronic music fans are reevaluating and getting back into Ae since there is so much cookie cutter stuff out there..

iTunes Japan started this

itunes japan put it out by accident or what? I didn't know this stuff

we don't know for sure, but the uk and other stores quickly followed

Me too but I don't even know what they can say about this. They fucking did it. They totally redeemed themselves after Oversteps. I was sure they were heading off a cliff.

i dunno, i think this flows pretty naturally from oversteps and especially MoT. I really feel like they're just becoming more and more psychedelic. I mean we always knew they had that potential (the often quoted use of mushrooms during the creation of Chiastic), but their psychedelic tendencies were usually bound within a fairly controlled formal structure. That was one thing that made them such a pleasure to listen to, the tension between the tight formalism and the melodies and bizarre sounds.

I think that formalism has mostly exploded now, though. What we're left with is a lot of odd juxtapositions, random wtf moments, and some very interesting sonic experiments. Or we'll see, maybe I'll feel more form emerge from the music over time.

Hey lumpenprol - how many times have you listened to Exai so far? I totally agree with you that they feel more psychedelic than ever, but on second listen this feels less jammy and noodly, seemingly more deliberate (formal) with each listen.

Just curious, but yeah... Done true feels.

Edited by gl0tch

"nodezsh" could not have existed without Oversteps.

This is true of so much of the album. This is why I'm done with my Oversteps hate. Apparently they needed to make that to move forward.

There are so many moments on here that are just overwhelming. It's so rich.

I think this also goes into that idea I had where a larger chunk of electronic music fans are reevaluating and getting back into Ae since there is so much cookie cutter stuff out there..

totally! there is this massive field of 'meh' electronic music that has swirled out in every direction since autechre's heydey, and this album is like a fucking tank blasting through it, asserting itself sonically, chest-thumping; autechre proclaiming their big-man status

Bleep won't load!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What the fucking shit!!! I am so goddamn angry right now.

And it won't load from the direct link they sent me.

edit: Thank god for waffles and pancakes otherwise I wouldn't be able to download the goddamn album I paid for.

Edited by Alfred P McLovely III