Guest isaki

the man from earth - great! at first it was a bit cringy but as I got into it it proved to be a very worthwhile movie

I felt that Skyfall was honestly a well-crafted movie, but it was just...so.....boring.

I can't quite put my finger on it, but I can only assume that the story has essentially been rehashed so many times, and there were no major "wow" sword/gunfights or chases, etc.

Guest Mirezzi

How can anybody get behind a movie with Daniel Craig? That dude is the worst form of mutant. Zero charm. His range as an actor consists of grimacing with an imminent bowl movement to roid rage expressions due to all the, you know, roids he takes?

He's also totally fucking ugly, which doesn't help.

When I watch Bond, I wanna Bond I could imagine fucking if I were about 80% more gay.

Guest Mirezzi

Seven Psychopaths - I tapped out when I realized there were 40 minutes left. It was so bad that it has adversely affected my once-stellar opinion of In Bruges.

Guest RadarJammer

How can anybody get behind a movie with Daniel Craig? That dude is the worst form of mutant. Zero charm. His range as an actor consists of grimacing with an imminent bowl movement to roid rage expressions due to all the, you know, roids he takes?

He's also totally fucking ugly, which doesn't help.

When I watch Bond, I wanna Bond I could imagine fucking if I were about 80% more gay.

i love daniel craig, he's got manly bigtime charm

nohomo

220px-Trekkies_2_FilmPoster.jpeg

denise crosby gave up her star trek gig because she (supposedly) wasn't getting enough screen time. years later, she's doing this. note to self: denise crosby would make a wonderful dominatrix

Guest isaki

the man from earth - great! at first it was a bit cringy but as I got into it it proved to be a very worthwhile movie

hahaha yes it's pretty cringe worthy nonetheless...

it was cringy for sure, but totally fun. I don't see how anyone could dislike it -- it's not trying to be an amazing movie. just a nice little story

hahaha yes it's pretty cringe worthy nonetheless...

it was cringy for sure, but totally fun. I don't see how anyone could dislike it -- it's not trying to be an amazing movie. just a nice little story

exactly

Seven Psychopaths - I tapped out when I realized there were 40 minutes left. It was so bad that it has adversely affected my once-stellar opinion of In Bruges.

lol, same...but I think you missed out on the "best" part.

Guest Mirezzi

Scattered, incomplete, and likely incoherent notes:

I thought The Master was PTA's least PTAish film yet, and the results to that end are mixed. I don't know that it would have been possible given the material, but with 20% more narrative glue in the script, this would be PTA's best film. Yet I enjoyed the hell out of it, even as it made me really uncomfortable at times. Phoenix was other-worldly in his performance.

The colors, textures, and the atmosphere were so beautifully photographed and I thought the edit was near-perfect. I can nearly smell the sea thinking about it. Now, I just have to resist the urge to gulp down paint thinner cut with cheap bourbon.

I loved how it starts with the inkblots and the sexual answers from Freddie, then leads to the Master and his initial processing. It was actually a very lean and elegant script compared to TWBB.

The continuous use of the top-down shot of the wake of the ship was both clever and effective, providing both literally and metaphorically the trace of the ship's passengers in all their preoccupation with past lives. The questions of nature's laws and genetic predisposition running parallel with all of the Master's reincarnation and perfection of man nonsense.

As an exploration of, and meditation on, regret, imperfection, vulnerability, frailty, and how each are so damningly attended to by the Jim Joneses and L. Ron Hubbards of the world, I thought it was an incredible film. Again, with just a modicum more narrative, I would have gave myself to it completely. Instead, I felt repelled just enough to often find myself merely watching a filmed document unfold. Toward the end of The Master, and very similar to the bowling alley scene with DDL and Paul Dano in TWBB, moments felt coerced, maybe even contrived. The tense ultimatum conversation between the Master and Freddie, where it pulls a tear down Joaquin's sunken eyes, I couldn't help but think I was witnessing "Oscar" time. In other words, I didn't buy it. That moment didn't feel like Quell. It felt like Phoenix acting. PTA sometimes loses his instincts with actors, although he was much more in control here than with TWBB and all its cartoonishness.

Alas, I think the moral of the film could be summed up in the last bits of dialog between Phoenix and the loose Mancunian woman he finds in the pub.

"Now stick it back in. It fell out."

Oh, one other note about Seven Psychopaths:

When the Coens were writing Miller's Crossing, they were blocked so badly that they stopped to write Barton Fink. In the end, they made two brilliant films. Since he so clearly wants to be Martin Coen, perhaps Martin McDonagh should have done the same. If it would have worked out, maybe he'd have ended up writing two mediocre movies instead of one very bad one. The script for Seven Psychopaths was so poor I'm shocked it was even greenlit.

Edited by The Overlook

Guest zaphod

i felt the first 20 or so minutes of the master were perfect. the tone, acting, music, everything was completely perfect and if it had sustained that it would be one of the best movies i've ever seen. sadly, for me, it didn't, and became very tedious. i need to watch it again, but i rank it way below there will be blood.

Guest Mirezzi

Still haven't re-watched TWBB, but I think I had one of the most negative reactions to it of any WATMMers.

I'd watch it now if I owned it. Shit, only $10 on Blu-ray.

Guest drukqs

tumblr_mi4kfhjCsj1r8bsyso1_500.gif

I was a fan of Spirited Away as a kid and I decided to watch some of Miyazaki's other movies this weekend, like My Neighbor Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service, but I kept feeling grossly underwhelmed. Like Spirited Away, the plots feel... off. Someting about them isn't satisfying and some of the characters' behaviors confuse or annoy me. (Although I was totally enthralled by the atmosphere and the setting execution of Kiki's Delivery Service, whose plot also satisfied me much more than Spirited)

But then I watched Mononoke Hime, and WOW. What a fantastic movie. Definitely going in my top 10. The characters are extremely relatable for me and I really just identify with the movie all around. Great movie, would love to see more like this if anyone can recommend anything.

really, I think Spirited Away is amazing...as is Princess Mononoke. Two of my favorite films. Princess Mononoke is more anguished (death of nature), while Spirited Away has more creepy sexual subtext (the innocent girl cleaning all the gross customers in the sauna...)

berberian sound studio - a twisted comical homage and deconstruction of the giallo genre... stunning sound, visuals and excellent casting/performances but not enough of a story to carry it through. i absolutely loved the first 40 minutes or so, transfixed by the atmosphere, and especially enjoyed the soundtrack (no surprise there being a huge broadcast fan)... then it started to drag and i lost interest until an hour and a half felt like 2 and a half hours. could have been amazing with a bit more meat on it's bones but overall i was left disappointed. been a while since i enjoyed the look and feel of a film so much as this.

Edited by keltoi

I was a fan of Spirited Away as a kid and I decided to watch some of Miyazaki's other movies this weekend, like My Neighbor Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service, but I kept feeling grossly underwhelmed. Like Spirited Away, the plots feel... off. Someting about them isn't satisfying and some of the characters' behaviors confuse or annoy me. (Although I was totally enthralled by the atmosphere and the setting execution of Kiki's Delivery Service, whose plot also satisfied me much more than Spirited)

But then I watched Mononoke Hime, and WOW. What a fantastic movie. Definitely going in my top 10. The characters are extremely relatable for me and I really just identify with the movie all around. Great movie, would love to see more like this if anyone can recommend anything.

do yourself a favor and check out 'Pom Poko', (if you haven't already) it's not a Miyazaki, but it is Studio Ghibli

powerful powerful film, changed my life...or at least it had a vast impact on me

Nausicaa. Although I haven't watched Mononoke in like 10 years, maybe even more. It's very much like Mononoke, only more hardcore. But in terms of great characters - I really don't think Porco Rosso can be beat.