IGNORED

Post Your Most Recent Picture

Joyrex

Why are you licking the book? Does your friend have good taste in books?

I'm sticking my tongue out at the naked man in the book. Can't remember who it's meant to be.

Edit: sorry I initially missed your witty pun, it's been a long day.

Edited by IrisAndTheLens

Excuse my ignorance but what do those things do? Measuring....stuff? I lived with someone who used one and when he told me my brain turned off mid-sentence and I've not known since.

Correct me if I'm wrong Joshua, but that's for surveying, correct? I'd briefly looked at getting into that (it's pretty well paying and there's a demand for people...more so than being a jackass with an English degree at least), but it's not too easy to break in without an engineering background.

Also fucking lol at triachus' edit of mcbpete's hamster pic. I giggled like 13 year old.

Excuse my ignorance but what do those things do? Measuring....stuff? I lived with someone who used one and when he told me my brain turned off mid-sentence and I've not known since.

it's a geometry compass for giants.

Yes. It's a total station specifically. Basically a theodolite + EDM. I use it to survey property lines and/or construction staking specifically. The company I work for most does residential work (i.e. new subdivisions) but on occasion we do city work in urban environments and larger rural or older city properties...which are a lot more fun. It records distances and bearings (angles). That's it. All the magic is in the trig equations and coordinate systems you're tying into.

Correct me if I'm wrong Joshua, but that's for surveying, correct? I'd briefly looked at getting into that (it's pretty well paying and there's a demand for people...more so than being a jackass with an English degree at least), but it's not too easy to break in without an engineering background.

Also fucking lol at triachus' edit of mcbpete's hamster pic. I giggled like 13 year old.

Well at the moment I'm a field guy. Of the 10 of us, only two of us have a degree. Hell, 3 of them are felons. It isn't atypical, though this place in particular is kind of a trip.

It's like the Night's Watch of local survey companies: they're all qualified, couple are excellent actually, but many seem a bit wayword. I had some drama with the dude who was my crew chief but it's been dealt with, and I'm not working with him anymore. His personal life bullshit was spilling over into his work, to say the least.

Most of the people who advance end up in the office doing the legal drafting or CAD work that goes into the final surveys.

Surveying is pretty diverse in application but it seems to break down to whether you're doing it for engineering or property lines. The later is what I'm trying to get licensed to do in Texas. I'm going night school for it (I already have a BA in History at UT). With a license you can legally sign off on deeds and official surveys for clients. Ideally I would like to work for the State Park system or a agency like BLM or NGS: i.e making topo maps.