IGNORED

Forgotten IDM producers

Poimandres

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Old Nautilis was great but maybe it sounds different now? The traq on the Six Records comp has always seemed a little waq to me.

I can't remember any of the tracks on that compilation, even though I owned a copy at some point. But yeah, I wasn't a big fan of the Malcom Kipe stuff. Axolotl is one of my favourite IDM albums of all time though.

Old Nautilis was great but maybe it sounds different now? The traq on the Six Records comp has always seemed a little waq to me.

I can't remember any of the tracks on that compilation, even though I owned a copy at some point. But yeah, I wasn't a big fan of the Malcom Kipe stuff. Axolotl is one of my favourite IDM albums of all time though.

Amen to that! Axolotl is one of my favourites as well. Sketches is also damn good.

Agreed! I actually just found a copy of Axolotl recently… so glad I finally have one. I have one of the Sketches EPs and that is super lush as well. I need to track down a full copy of that release.

wow didn't know one guy handled distribution from Mu it's so small and personal

"Physical goods will not be shipped until 10th March 2014 due to Thomas's paternity leave. If you want your records before then may we suggest Boomkat.com or Bleep.com (This does not affect orders placed before 8th January 2014)."

wow didn't know one guy handled distribution from Mu it's so small and personal

"Physical goods will not be shipped until 10th March 2014 due to Thomas's paternity leave. If you want your records before then may we suggest Boomkat.com or Bleep.com (This does not affect orders placed before 8th January 2014)."

It seems weird to me actually. Does no-one else involved in the company know how to read an order, package an order, and put it in the post?

I'm not hating on it at all, it just seems weird to hold up shipping for an entire record label because someone is on pat leave...

make sense for a lot smaller / startup labels i guess. Mu's been around for quite a while now - but I guess they don't really need that much distro power from their site since they got 3rd party distributors. I've gotten a few things directly from MU - and it's kinda mind boggling that I know the name of the guy who put together my package - Thomas.

A lot of the idm musicians mentioned in this thread didn't simply make floaty melodies on top of glitchy beats, they toiled over having a unique sound design palette that they could call their own. Another good example is Cylob, he carved his own path for so many years but imo never really got the attention he deserved.

Hwat? Undergroundists love his lobster style etc. output. As for further attention, Cylob was one of the FEW undegroundish totally geek ass mofoz to get any attention "from the mainstream". Remember Rewind? I belieeeve only Aphex Twin- in that tier of artist- got MTV music video airplay (well, and Mike P, but that was Virgin so natch...). It was a music video played worldwide on music TV, from Rephlex. That is fucking crazy as fuck, so despite him later focusing his efforts towards writing software that basically only he used (a true geek), he got thousands of times more attention than most underground geekoz would/will ever get, from a mere numbers perspective. Toootally fucking luckily. Insane, really. And then he released his ultimate Cut The Midrange Drop The Bass track, and nobody cared because it was too epic.

Aaaaanyway...

Forgotten artists.... Um, Lektrogirl?

As for nautilis, I posted this over at braindance, but some of you here might not've seen it... (real screenshot I took from facebook):

It was uh... pretty funny:

mu_nautilis-pissed.gif

Poor Skyler. I thought he'd have matured over the last 15 years.

I need some new 2lone swordsman in my life.

Not quite IDM, but in that sense, they were pretty IDM. Old school TLS. Old school Photek, as well- so phresh; not even appropriate under dnb label. Well IDM, bwoi.

• 2 months later...
Guest PaSaul

I revisited and discover some pretty good music with this one, thx you all.

What about Ben Jordan? The man is still very active, even if he move away from is more acid-idm oriented stuff (acidwolf, flexe and Human Action Network) but there some good track on is soundcloud:

https://soundcloud.com/bennjordan/flexe-over-night

https://soundcloud.com/bennjordan/acidwolf-s-kedzie-theme

There is some more I can recall on top of my head: Deru, Cepia, Xela, Gridlock, Point 7, Sabi, Unit and the Cottage Industries series.

Guest jasondonervan

Max Tundra just put an album on Bandcamp of music he produced as a preteen/teen using an Amiga/BBC Micro-Works:

http://maxtundra.bandcamp.com/album/selected-amiga-bbc-micro-works-85-92

What I loved about that is the description mentioning how the BBC Micro trax were recorded by mic-ing up to the computer speaker, thus explaining why you can hear occasional snippets of 80s British schoolchildren hooning around in the background. Very nostalgic... :music:

• 1 year later...

Archived