IGNORED

stupid first world achievements and successes

eugene

One of my favourite musicians (David Grubbs) was playing a 2pm show here on a Saturday, the same weekend I was working. I was also broke.

Hadn't seen him since he was here in 2008 and was PISSED when I found out (6 months after the fact) he'd played another in 2014.

Through all kinds of magical twists of fate I ended up being able to afford a ticket and get a half day off work on the Saturday. Had a fucking wonderful time at the show, spoke to him afterwards and he signed his new record for me.

Came out of there BUZZING and generally high on life (and the 3 or 4 IPAs I'd had).

I ordered a stand for my new synth but it turns out it's WAY too big. So I told the retailer, Thomann, that I would like to make use of their "30 Days Money Back Guarantee" policy. So they emailed me this morning and were like, "Alright, here's the money... aaaand, you know what? Keep the stand".

Now that's customer service!

I ordered a stand for my new synth but it turns out it's WAY too big. So I told the retailer, Thomann, that I would like to make use of their "30 Days Money Back Guarantee" policy. So they emailed me this morning and were like, "Alright, here's the money... aaaand, you know what? Keep the stand".

fwp: now you gotta get rid of your big stupid synth stand.

Remember watmmer Petra? Im friends with her on FB. She's a famous artist now. She had a huge article in the arts section of NYT amongst other publicity she's gotten

she was always pretty highly regarded by the relevant art people as far as i remember, i think she caught on that that internet-art thing pretty early, way before opn and other pipsters did so (aesthetics wise).

Edited by eugene

she was always pretty highly regarded by the relevant art people as far as i remember, i think she caught on that that internet-art thing pretty early, way before opn and other pipsters did so (aesthetics wise).

linx?

wait what he built the house in those photos himself? that shit must have cost a small fortune even if he did it alone, that's beautiful 

not if he used the wood from his property

fwp: now you gotta get rid of your big stupid synth stand.

Exactly. The box is taking up quite a lot of space right now.

Remember watmmer Petra? Im friends with her on FB. She's a famous artist now. She had a huge article in the arts section of NYT amongst other publicity she's gotten

She also got a brief mention in Time magazine a few years ago:

http://time.com/3803252/off-your-phone-and-on-view-the-national-selfie-portrait-gallery/

And her wedding video is hosted on the official Martha Stewart website:

http://www.marthastewart.com/1125996/petra-and-marcs-picnic-wedding-drone-video

wait what he built the house in those photos himself? that shit must have cost a small fortune even if he did it alone, that's beautiful 

not if he used the wood from his property

yes even if he used the wood from his own property. fancy ass windows aren't wood (and if they are, they're expensive as shit and you dont make tempered thermopane glass at home)

Edited by luke viia

lol why are you both fighting me when i say that place looks fucking expensive? i think its beautiful but using fallen timber doesn't make it cheap

Edited by luke viia

lol why are you both fighting me when i say that place looks fucking expensive? i think its beautiful but using fallen timber doesn't make it cheap. you dont walk up to a fallen tree with a hack saw and drag it into your rafters ffs. 

I'm not fighting you. I was suggesting that if he used all lumber from his property and built it himself, which marf said he did, the total cost of the house would not be that high given that most of the house is made using hardwood. I didn't even know the prices of tempered windows so I priced them out just to see, and tbh I don't think he paid more than 15k for all the external windows. You can get an 8 x 3 x 1in thick dual pane thermal window glass for a couple hundred dollars. 

If you look at the sheer volume of hardwood that was used for the house, the vast majority of it is free materials. Probably only spent around 30k for the rest of the materials on the house. If he did every bit of work himself then the labor is free. So not terribly expensive, and this is the most important detail to consider about it. If you buy a piece of property and have the requisite skills, you can build an amazing home for a relatively small amount of money.

When you say fortune I'm thinking 500k or something. I don't think he broke 100k on this house.

Anyway, marf I'd love to hear more details about it if you've got them.

Edited by AdieuErsatzEnnui

i appreciate you looking into the pricing but $100k total for a house like that is lolsably cheap... spiral staircase with the walnut (maple? i forget) railing was probably $10k or so on its own; those vaulted windows were definitely way over a few hundred a piece (i think you were looking at like VPI brand at home depot or something? think andersen renewal), the cabinets, crazy ass shower, valves, plumbing, all the fancy lighting, the outdoor railing, the huge fuck-off 3-wide french doors... $$$$$$! and his woodshop (well, barn) probably has well over $100k of nice tools kicking around it, unless he smoothed all those logs with a 5" hand plane or something. i think the article said he air dried each log for 3 years per inch, so when you look at the big gnarled beam above the staircase, which looks 6-8" thick, we gotta remember he's been working on this for 15+ years (or alternatively, that board wasn't reclaimed, since it says it's been "ten years in the making")... anyways he worked on this for a decade, i'm sure he's put more than $100k worth of his own hourly rate into the project. (and you're probably pretty well off if you can build your own house for ten years while supporting a wife and child on the side)

that said i'm bored of this topic, sorry i said anything while i was hungover. maybe you guys are right and this is a $30k house, i'd love for that to be true, it sure would make the "american dream" aspect of it alluring (i appraise used building materials for a living, so i'm not just pulling this shit out of nowhere) :cisfor: NOW LET US TALK OF OTHER THINGS

Edited by luke viia