IGNORED

Nine Inch Nails - Hesitation Marks

YO303

Yeah it was alright, i found my first listen to be very relaxing, seems like Trent is chilling. Some sounds were interesting to listen to, reminded me of old Autechre and others from that era. 7/10

Cons: Outdated sounds, some of his old tricks which i liked on With Teeth got under my skin a few times. His emotional lyrics are still irrelevant to me but whatever i never listen to NIN for the lyrics.

Edited by Deer

Trent's lyrics have sometimes been a bit less than spectacular... but the stuff I'm hearing on these new tracks makes me cringe. I'm not sure the music can save this one. Hesitation purchases...

The album art is really bugging me. I see that stuff and I think of the brutal, harsh, and at times calm tracks on TDS/Broken/FurtherDS, Closer to God EP, and March of the Pigs EP. All these clean synths and boring drum machines just don't justify the imagery. I feel like they are trying to ride the nostalgia wagon hard on this one.

Edited by job

I had VERY low expectations for this album when i first heard "Came Back Haunted" on the radio but since then I've warmed up to it... I'm enjoying this it does indeed feel like the first proper NIN album since The Fragile (okay With Teeth if I'm being lenient), yeah it may be a bit poppy but PHM was pretty damn poppy when that came out. And sure some of the lyrics are dull and repetitive but lyrics have never been Trent's strongpoint.

Edited by ghOsty

im actually quite enjoying this

... except "Everything" that track is just awful, I'll probably end up deleting that one.

Edited by jules

Now streaming for free on iTunes - except the bonus material.

I torrented it in less time than it took to open itunes on my pc. Apple need to get their shit together and work on a less bloated version, ffs.

I torrented it in less time than it took to open itunes on my pc. Apple need to get their shit together and work on a less bloated version, ffs.

Well, there's your problem.

I also highly doubt you fired up your torrent app, found NIN's latest reminder it's no longer relevant, and downloaded the album in less time it took to click on iTunes and have it start up.

Well, there's your problem.

I also highly doubt you fired up your torrent app, found NIN's latest reminder it's no longer relevant, and downloaded the album in less time it took to click on iTunes and have it start up.

I was only given 30 sec previews of the tracks. The site Trent linked to to listen to the album for free wanted me to log in and read all my facebook data. I torrented and had it playing in about 2 minutes after declining. Album seems ok, few strong moments for sure. Still a hesitation purchase for me tho. We'll see if they decide to charge more because they feel they can (Trent got super pissy about this in the past). I doubt I'd drop $30 cad for this so far.

Edited by job

Actually, yep. I clicked on the itunes icon, then clicked the torrent link. 3 minutes later I had the album and itunes was still thrashing my hd.

Slow itunes performance shouldn't be a reason to get a mac! I'd really love one but I can not afford one at the moment.

This is a good album! Some rather unexpected sounds imo. In Two, Various Methods of Escape and All Time Low (the only place where I could hear Belew) all made me smile.

Actually, yep. I clicked on the itunes icon, then clicked the torrent link. 3 minutes later I had the album and itunes was still thrashing my hd.

Slow itunes performance shouldn't be a reason to get a mac! I'd really love one but I can not afford one at the moment.

No, I just meant iTunes is shit on PC.

I like the transitions between tracks (specially on Copy of A-Came Back Haunted and While i'm Still Here-Black Noise)

This album is growing on me pretty fast, im enjoying it soooo much, i think its slighter better than With Teeth and The Fragile, its a lot of fun.

Is anyone else hearing Higher Intelligence Agency in this?

Edited by Deer

Gave it a spin as I biked and tooled around at the gym today. Had some "oh hell yeah" moments. Definitely warrants a few more listens. I still think Everything is so out of place as a NIN song. Pretty sure his wife slipped him some Prozac that week.

Also, saxaphone?! I literally laughed out loud at the gym, but all the same it was pretty funky.