IGNORED

Nine Inch Nails - Hesitation Marks

YO303

lw5liZT.jpg

"From TR: “I’ve been less than honest about what I’ve really been up to lately. For the last year I’ve been secretly working non-stop with Atticus Ross and Alan Moulder on a new, full-length Nine Inch Nails record, which I am happy to say is finished and frankly fucking great. This is the real impetus and motivation behind the decision to assemble a new band and tour again. My forays into film, HTDA and other projects really stimulated me creatively and I decided to focus that energy on taking Nine Inch Nails to a new place. Here we go!”

Stay tuned…

"

I loved The Slip so im excited about this, but the optimism is reluctant, HTDA and the soundtracks weren't good at all i thought, hopefully he'll put more energy and creativity on this NIN album.

Edited by Redruth

a 'new place'? I'll believe it when I see it. Downward Spiral still sounds 'new' in comparison to the ground they've been retreading since the Fragile. I enjoyed Fragile and Ghosts but the melodic motifs and similar vibes don't feel like much evolution to me.

nice, but not unexpected...

hopefully he takes a break from practicing guitar distortion textures and simply "jamming" with them, and quickly releasing anything that sounds somewhat groovy.. hoping he gets back to making melodies, writing song lyrics and then producing them together. i think a lot of us would love if he ventured back to that fragile/tds style-songwriting and just really let loose with song structure... i've felt like lately he's been so concerned with production and beats... i want nin songs again

a 'new place'? I'll believe it when I see it. Downward Spiral still sounds 'new' in comparison to the ground they've been retreading since the Fragile. I enjoyed Fragile and Ghosts but the melodic motifs and similar vibes don't feel like much evolution to me.

haha, jinx! cheers

NIN has the inherent problem with being a band ahead of the curve technologically /production techniques-wise when they started out. This aspect peaked with TDS and Broken/Fixed. After that I feel like Trent has been struggling to stay relevant in terms of the technological wow factor that impressed so many people back in the 90s. Bands like Skinny Puppy and Meat Beat choose to employ some of the progressive trends in electronic music production (like IDM and dubstep) but Trent seems to be staying mostly away from that. His last real try that I noticed was him sort of going back into analog synthesis, with the metasonix obsession he had during Year Zero. Using a lot of modular synth noise stuff as sort of the running texture thread through a lot of the songs. Now that sound is sort of tired so I'm wondering what direction he'll go in next if it's not the same one he's been doing since the Fragile. I have a little bit of hope but not much

NIN has the inherent problem with being a band ahead of the curve technologically /production techniques-wise when they started out. This aspect peaked with TDS and Broken/Fixed. After that I feel like Trent has been struggling to stay relevant in terms of the technological wow factor that impressed so many people back in the 90s. Bands like Skinny Puppy and Meat Beat choose to employ some of the progressive trends in electronic music production (like IDM and dubstep) but Trent seems to be staying mostly away from that. His last real try that I noticed was him sort of going back into analog synthesis, with the metasonix obsession he had during Year Zero. Using a lot of modular synth noise stuff as sort of the running texture thread through a lot of the songs. Now that sound is sort of tired so I'm wondering what direction he'll go in next if it's not the same one he's been doing since the Fragile. I have a little bit of hope but not much

I imagine he will release more pop albums like "with teeth"

I was huge into NIN when I was younger and I still love everything up tp and including the Fragile era, and while the more modern era NIN with a sober beefed up Trent hasn't been as amazing as they once were I still enjoyed the albums for the most part. Sure, With Teeth was a bit poppy, but still had some decent tunes Year Zero had some pretty interesting sound design here and there despite sounding a little samey at times. Ghosts was pretty interesting as well but perhaps also a bit samey.. but now undoubtedly everything has seemed to be kinda stuck on those vibes, simillar melodies and sounds etc The Social Network soundtrack literally had a few tracks that were just taken off Ghosts, and the production he did for How To Destroy Angels kinda falls into these similar melodies and themes as well... The Slip however I feel was kind of underrated, it was made on tour in his tour bus, and kind of jumped back to some of the raw stripped down agression of Broken/TDS era NIN sound.

I think Trent still has the potential to make excellent music, he's just tried to do too much at once in recent years and it's kinda watered down his output overall if he manages to find a balance between the better composition of previous era NIN and the newer sound design I think he could make another masterpiece. I'll still look forward to hearing this one, I think the potential is there still.

Yeah The Slip was pretty good, but just felt a bit rushed (the explanation of it being made while on tour makes sense though). I would love to hear something more raw and stripped down.. because the last tour they did had that feel, and it was amazing.

Great. Now I'll have to endure some more good music that's being fisted by some of the most consistently cliche, cringe-inducing lyrics ever shouted/whispered by an emo-dad. At that thought, I'm slipping on the tears they've made me cry. BUT THAT'S WHAT I GET(ah).

how could you not want stuff like this though

I pushed the button and elected him to office and a
He pushed the button and he dropped the bomb
You pushed the button and could watch it on the television
Those motherfuckers didn't last too long

It's gold Jerry.... gold.

I've been struggling for ages trying to express to people why NIN is so bad now, and this is exactly how I feel about it.

I don't have a problem with that. I do really like Imogen Heap though.

not saying that liking Imogen Heap is a bad thing, just saying that Imogen Heap style vocalisation is quite a jarring thing where Nine Inch Nails is concerned.

what happened to them never touring again? lmao guess he ran out of money for his steroid injections and expensive gear that he never uses

LOL, that's the first thing that popped into my head too - that was short-lived, wasn't it?

I don't have a problem with that. I do really like Imogen Heap though.

not saying that liking Imogen Heap is a bad thing, just saying that Imogen Heap style vocalisation is quite a jarring thing where Nine Inch Nails is concerned.

Well, it comes down to either trying something different or rehashing old ideas. And I know which one I prefer!