IGNORED

If you were to spend a week in the states, where would you go?

jeremymacgregor87

Guest Retrig

Sounds like you're already debating Seattle. I might just add that we legalized marijuana here, and meet a lot of your criteria. We'll have legal retail sales in December.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow. I was getting super pissed at all this west coast horseshit talk without barely one mention of NYC and then I realized what a shitty east coaster i've become. Living essentially in new york for three years does shit to your mind... it's not just a city, it's the city. the literal center of the universe. why would anyone care what was going on elsewhere, if it's not in the city, not worth the time. I swore when I left the platter bacon and corn fields of indiana I would never become like this... but look at me. Getting angry at WATMM not reppin the east coast.

/drunk dr lopez personal crisis

anyway if you like craft beers, don't come to the east coast. east coast beers are fucking terrible. Southern Tier is the only brewery out here I'll actually drink. Usually just stick to Midwest and West coast places. I've realized I'm just a sucker for cascade hops.

Chicago is an incredible city with great bars, record stores and clubs... if you like house and all. But of course New York is a wonderful, magical place that has a feel unlike any other. BUT. Terrible clubs, weird super bourgeois record stores, fun bars. USA in general is terrible for electronic music hunting cept detroit.

i hate nyc

it's so dirty and overrated, it's really a huge overpopulated slum with a handful of rich people

you walk around for one day and at the end of the day you blow your nose, and all this black shit comes out.

If i were you i would go to Oregon and find myself a bear to wrestle.

But seriously, Oregon, Idaho and Montana, extremely underrated states (for tourism).

Guest isaki

I really have no idea about the USA except a general idea of talking to americans... north west looks nice though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯[/size]

i hate nyc

it's so dirty and overrated, it's really a huge overpopulated slum with a handful of rich people

you walk around for one day and at the end of the day you blow your nose, and all this black shit comes out.

lol

* I like craft beer

* I am on WATMM

* I like mountains/nature and particularly taking photos of them

* I generally keep to myself and like to wander around

* I like good record stores

Fuck it, I'll plug Austin. Lots of neighborhoods to wander around and even though they overstate how good the food is...it really is good. Great local breweries. You're bound to find a good gig too, even though it's saturated with indie rock, country, and singer-songwriter types there's a ton of underground and DIY venues that cater to just about every genre you can think of.

No mountains but plenty of trails, lakes and rivers, and greenery. And yes, it's Texas but it's a much less daunting city than San Antonio, Houston, or the sprawling metroplex of DFW all of which have some neat areas but in far smaller, concentrated areas.

Guest RadarJammer

come to seattle and get a bag of weed then drive to fall city and explore the woods for feral man. if you see him ask for a piece of his beard for proof.

I'll just mention the two satellite states of Alaska and Hawaii.

If you ever visit AK, I recommend the southcentral region. In the Anchorage/Mat-Su area, most of your criteria will be satisfied. I might be the only resident of this state who's a WATMM member though, and there use to be a great local record store in Anch that closed up shop a few years ago. I used to go there to buy IDM.

As for HI, I've only been to O'ahu, but I strongly recommend exploring the island outside of Honolulu, particularly the North Shore. There's plenty of good local food and nature to explore. The Byodo-In Buddhist Temple in Kaneohe is worth checking out too. Just be wary of overpriced tourist traps if you're in Honolulu.

Guest Retrig

If i were you i would go to Oregon and find myself a bear to wrestle.

But seriously, Oregon, Idaho and Montana, extremely underrated states (for tourism).

The whole NW is amazing. I'll have to speak up for Western Montana though, especially if you do any camping. The Rockies are the most wild, beautiful place I've ever been.

Eastern Montana is shit.

Guest Retrig

I take it you're not really from Wyoming? If you are, you already know the natural beauty of America. Go to NYC and call it a day.

Edit: Colorado and Washington legalized weed. :braindance:

I'm from Australia. My mom's side is from the states so I've been over a few times. It's looking like I'll go for Seattle, for the beers, proximity to Portland, and general state of affairs over there. Uh a follow up question to you all, how do you keep your ear to the ground for flight deals and the like? I could've sworn I saw a sale for Aus -> Seattle for like $650 each way which is pretty damn good but I can't seem to find it now. I'm guessing all flights will go through LA unless I go to Dallas or NYC or something.

Alaska and Hawaii are totally out of the question

I'll just mention the two satellite states of Alaska and Hawaii.

If you ever visit AK, I recommend the southcentral region. In the Anchorage/Mat-Su area, most of your criteria will be satisfied. I might be the only resident of this state who's a WATMM member though, and there use to be a great local record store in Anch that closed up shop a few years ago. I used to go there to buy IDM.

As for HI, I've only been to O'ahu, but I strongly recommend exploring the island outside of Honolulu, particularly the North Shore. There's plenty of good local food and nature to explore. The Byodo-In Buddhist Temple in Kaneohe is worth checking out too. Just be wary of overpriced tourist traps if you're in Honolulu.

I live in fairbanks.

Also there is a guy who I forgot his name who lives in kenai or something.

Do you actually live in chugiak?

you should go to denver. I've never been there but they make some mean craft beers. There are undoubtably good record stores there. Also mountains and water. And Fred Mcgriff, martyr of watmm.

ITHACA NY SRSLY

There are a fuckload of beautiful gorges and trail systems, as well as the greatest record store in existence (Angry Mom Records) and Ithaca Beer and Soda Co. is brilliant and just renovated/updated their hq into a restaurant serving flatbread pizzas and pulled pork sandwiches made with local meats alongside their craft brews. (+ in Ithaca there is ALWAYS a vegetarian or vegan option at every single freaking establishment - idk if you are either, but just to be safe).

* I like craft beer

* I am on WATMM

* I like mountains/nature and particularly taking photos of them

* I generally keep to myself and like to wander around

* I like good record stores

Fuck it, I'll plug Austin. Lots of neighborhoods to wander around and even though they overstate how good the food is...it really is good. Great local breweries. You're bound to find a good gig too, even though it's saturated with indie rock, country, and singer-songwriter types there's a ton of underground and DIY venues that cater to just about every genre you can think of.

No mountains but plenty of trails, lakes and rivers, and greenery. And yes, it's Texas but it's a much less daunting city than San Antonio, Houston, or the sprawling metroplex of DFW all of which have some neat areas but in far smaller, concentrated areas.

Austin is too fucking hot though for serious.

Archived