IGNORED

Lab made mince patty eaten

delet...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL @ "gross", versus eating a living animal that once defecated, urinated (possibly upon itself), laid in it's own waste, and was probably brutally murdered so you can have a hamburger that you'll proclaim as "delicious".

Don't get me wrong - I love meat and am not a vegetarian by any means, but to say this is "gross" when compared to the standard is just bizarre to me.

yes imo lab grown meat is gross compared to organic living animal. this looked like a disc of dried shit, compared to a juicy steak burger.

flol at "deficated, urinated (possibly upon itself)" etc - so fucking what? it's been washed, prepared and cooked before it hits my plate.

LOL @ "gross", versus eating a living animal that once defecated, urinated (possibly upon itself), laid in it's own waste, and was probably brutally murdered so you can have a hamburger that you'll proclaim as "delicious".

Don't get me wrong - I love meat and am not a vegetarian by any means, but to say this is "gross" when compared to the standard is just bizarre to me.

I'm idealistic about this, i think it's amazing. There's no way i would eat what they created other than as a one off, but it's a proof of concept which helps to push this technology along. It's like with electronics or anything, it all depends on the progress in the field that underlies it. In electronics that's materials science and some physics. In bio-meat (i've made a friendly name for it) it's the same technologies that they will be using to create built to order organs etc., 3-d printing and IPS cells amongst other things.

Think of the land and water resources it will free up, we'll be able to add another few billion people (frightened by the prospect of demographers and businesses salivating over the prosepct).

flol at "deficated, urinated (possibly upon itself)" etc - so fucking what? it's been washed, prepared and cooked before it hits my plate.

Well it didn't make any sense, because the animal has this great coating called skin, which washes off and generally doesn't allow any of that muck to violate the innards. lol joyrex. Of course you could be talking about the meat handling facillities, the meat does get contaminated by poor husbandry and processing, especially in the US apparently. You don't have to buy that meat though do you. You can get organic or at least properly raised and certified meat.

obligatory:

but srsly, that video in the OP was quit funny imho, could have been something running on a TV set in Robocop or Total Recall or something.

The raw ingredients sound distinctly unappetising - 0.02in (0.5mm) thick strips of pinkish yellow lab-grown tissue.

Red beetroot juice and saffron are added to provide authentic beef colouring.

sounds lovely eh? at least it hasn't urinated (possibly on itself).

I'm idealistic about this, i think it's amazing. There's no way i would eat what they created other than as a one off, but it's a proof of concept which helps to push this technology along. It's like with electronics or anything, it all depends on the progress in the field that underlies it. In electronics that's materials science and some physics. In bio-meat (i've made a friendly name for it) it's the same technologies that they will be using to create built to order organs etc., 3-d printing and IPS cells amongst other things.

Think of the land and water resources it will free up, we'll be able to add another few billion people (frightened by the prospect of demographers and businesses salivating over the prosepct).

Well it didn't make any sense, because the animal has this great coating called skin, which washes off and generally doesn't allow any of that muck to violate the innards. lol joyrex. Of course you could be talking about the meat handling facillities, the meat does get contaminated by poor husbandry and processing, especially in the US apparently. You don't have to buy that meat though do you. You can get organic or at least properly raised and certified meat.

Well, of course the meat is "clean" once it arrives on your table - my point was, this was grown in a sterile lab where there is probably zero percent chance of contamination, whereas traditional meat (even the humanely raised grass-fed, happy animals), goes through all the normal things an animal does, PLUS a bloody abattoir where it's raw flesh is exposed to lord-knows-what. I was just providing that for contrast at the "gross" reaction considering how more "clean" this "bio-meat" probably is.

Overall, I don't think this is a good idea as a solution to the food problems the world has, but as Delet said, it's good for science.

This is the end

Beautiful friend

This is the end

My only friend, the end

Of our elaborate plans, the end

Of everything that stands, the end

No safety or surprise, the end

I'll never look into your eyes...again

Can you picture what will be

So limitless and free

Desperately in need...of some...stranger's hand

In a...desperate land

Lost in a Roman...wilderness of pain

And all the children are insane

All the children are insane..

Well, of course the meat is "clean" once it arrives on your table - my point was, this was grown in a sterile lab where there is probably zero percent chance of contamination, whereas traditional meat (even the humanely raised grass-fed, happy animals), goes through all the normal things an animal does, PLUS a bloody abattoir where it's raw flesh is exposed to lord-knows-what. I was just providing that for contrast at the "gross" reaction considering how more "clean" this "bio-meat" probably is.

Overall, I don't think this is a good idea as a solution to the food problems the world has, but as Delet said, it's good for science.

It's ok, i get excited sometimes, I didn't want to cause you any distress.

*thinks about making a joke of pisspoor hygiene in the USA meat industry and the fact they like corn syrup on everything and decides not to as it begs a horse meat ripost*

I'd be far more interested in seeing people eat the lab-grown meat along with a load of budget supermarket burgers and deciding what was tastier.

If you're just presented with bio-meat you're gonna be over critical. Obvs.

*thinks about making a joke of pisspoor hygiene in the USA meat industry and the fact they like corn syrup on everything and decides not to as it begs a horse meat ripost*

I'd be far more interested in seeing people eat the lab-grown meat along with a load of budget supermarket burgers and deciding what was tastier.

If you're just presented with bio-meat you're gonna be over critical. Obvs.

HFCS is used in products here without our consent... the manufacturers do this as a cost-saving measure (so they say)... you just need to read labels (which anyone should be doing regardless) and avoid products that contain it (where it doesn't make sense).

Archived