IGNORED

Skateboarding

gmanyo

Anyone here skateboard? Doesn't seem like something an IDM community would be big into. I've been getting back into it lately. I'm getting pretty decent at tre flips - I can't land them consistently but it's not a godsend when I do land one. Probably like 1 out of 10.

(there was a thread from a few years back but is sorta sucked)

sk8 or die ! i b pretty shit on a deck coz 2 unco but a big fan - esp. ol' skewl 90's sk8 culture & vids. done did a phew deck designs a while bak 4 lo-life in melbourne. nan & pop team up here pretty cruisey. wuz gunna pop this in da hip hop thred, but josh kalis in effect ost by freddie foxxx yo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxiWPXC3Qmg

i used to skate man until i got mono and then had to quit for a period of time... that was back when koston released his first signature XD

I used to skate when I was 12 all the way to 19. I got pretty good. Was in a couple lower budget Canadian skate films. Then my health took a turn for the worse and I stopped. Now I just don't have nearly enough energy to bother. Makes me sad sometimes cause it was a fun as hell, I really enjoyed it. oh well.

I used to skate when I was 12 all the way to 19. I got pretty good. Was in a couple lower budget Canadian skate films. Then my health took a turn for the worse and I stopped. Now I just don't have nearly enough energy to bother. Makes me sad sometimes cause it was a fun as hell, I really enjoyed it. oh well.

You got links to those videos? It'd be cool to see them.

I like skating around people I know who haven't seen me skate because they assume I just sort of go on computers all day and do computer things. Even though the only tricks I can consistently land are like varials and kickflips and double kickflips, it's still impressive to them.

I tried skateboarding when I first moved to Cali when i was 10... Most of the kids I met were into it, so I tried. Never was any good at it but I loved the culture surrounding it. Still do to this day. When my son was 5 I bought him a skateboard and he tried but then picked up scootering from some neighbors. He's gotten good at that and hasn't skated since, but he appreciates the culture as well.

I was heavily into skating from 2000 to 2010 or so. I even won a skate competition held in the gym in front of the whole school when I was in 8th grade. Felt good man. I had a great time at the Windell's skate camp in Oregon. I tried to skate everything, but all I could ever do on a vert ramp was drop in and that was still scary as fuck.

The early 2000s were a great time for skating I think. The videos that came out like Sorry! and Menikmati were good times. I also liked the sense of community I got from skating, the friends and acquaintances at skateparks and whatnot. A wide variety of interesting folks. Fond memories, this skateboarding stuff.

Like others I was into it in a big way, from the early 90's through til maybe 05'

There was a great scene at the time in Leeds & Wakefield, you kind of lived for it, we used to go here regularly although they've pulled it down now :(

skateboarding has always seemed like an impossibly difficult skill to me, i cant even roll down a 3degree gradient without getting shivers of fear. ive always worn skate clothes and hung out with skaters though, i just tended to smoke joints and sit doing nothing instead.

I think it's coming back in style big time, but oddly enough it's not really punk anymore, it's more black culture and hip-hop oriented. In a couple years skating will be really big again.

I think it's coming back in style big time, but oddly enough it's not really punk anymore, it's more black culture and hip-hop oriented which is pretty cool in a different way. In a couple years skating will be really big again.

I think it's coming back in style big time, but oddly enough it's not really punk anymore, it's more black culture and hip-hop oriented.

Yeah it's cool how the skater demographic is shifting (or at least including) from kids in the suburbs and punk to black kids and hip hop (it's staying in the suburbs as far as I know tho). Is there any reason or background to this situation?

Edited by ThatSpanishGuy

Supreme Cherry My mistake... THIS IS NOT A SUPREME CHERRY VIDEO. that video was taken down and I can't seem to find it.

it totally has taken a turn to the more urban styles. Odd Future peeps be skateboarding, Pharrell, WU TAng has a skate team, and that imbecile Lil Wayne may have had a hand in introducing skateboarding to the black community. Although, I've known many back in the 90s that did it anyway.

Edited by QBLA

Last time I was on a skateboard I snapped an ankle ligament. I decided to not do it again. Thought I got to an age where they body won't keep repairing itself quickly enough.

Still love the trainers though. They last years.

sk8 or die ! i b pretty shit on a deck coz 2 unco but a big fan - esp. ol' skewl 90's sk8 culture & vids. done did a phew deck designs a while bak 4 lo-life in melbourne. nan & pop team up here pretty cruisey. wuz gunna pop this in da hip hop thred, but josh kalis in effect ost by freddie foxxx yo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxiWPXC3Qmg

Whoa, I think some of these clips used in Thrasher Skate and Destroy - the PS1 game; played that extensively back in middle school.

I kinda want to try skateboarding again, had a nice deck and all back in 2000/2001 in the UK.

Never really learned the fundamentals, just cruised around the RAF base I lived at with friends and tried miserably to land flips. I almost picked up a $5 Birdhouse deck from a thrift store but I have a job and wife and like, no time for bustin' my ass.

I still skate, and I'm turning 40 this summer. I came up skating around 1986. I loved the culture but sucked at skating. I'd fall hard trying to skate ditches, couldn't skate a ramp to save my life, and couldn't even ollie. Bad coordination and no balance unfortunately.

But around 1991 I found a G&S wood/fiberglass mini cruiser board from the '70s at a thrift store. It didn't even have a tail and had big soft Road Rider wheels. I loved bombing hills and carving with it, more in the tradition of sidewalk surfing. Tricks never appealed to me, but I loved the acceleration. I used that board to get around town until I tragically lost it. I found a similar one a couple years later, which I still ride 20 years later.

Nowadays when the weather gets good I usually cruise around the neighborhood or just up and down my driveway, sometimes setting up cones for slalom. I fell hard a couple days ago, and my knee, hip, ribs, elbow, hands and shoulder got pretty messed up. I'm sore and bruised, but I still went out again today though.

My son just turned 9 and rides now. i got him a '70s style board since he was always riding mine. I might have to wear head-to-toe protective gear or something to keep up with him as we get older. I don't have any plans to stop though.

That's sweet, cruising is super fun. Skating gets really fun when you can just ride around and ollie confidently onto curbs and shit. Fucking pain in the ass getting there though.

I let someone try it out one night in 1992. The guy was really drunk and fell. He got really belligerent, and I took off rather than searching for it. It was down a hill on a dark street, and I wasn't about to get my ass kicked that night.