IGNORED

Apple - iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, and Apple WATCH

Joyrex

Why the hell would anyone buy the MacBook? The 13" MBA is a much better choice in every regard except for the screen - and at that size, does it really fucking matter? If you're a pro you're going to be buying the MBP anyways.

Stupid.

Yes there is a headphone port.

jkx6xu.gif apple

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My wife has a MBA. I don't think she's ever used a port on it, other than for charging. Everything else she does is covered by wifi and Bluetooth, including printing and using a mouse.

The expensive dongle is ridiculous but if you think you need it you probably aren't the demographic apple is aiming for. When they take the ports off the MacBook Pro, then we're in trouble.

Edit: the max 8 GB of RAM and the Core M should honestly steer everyone away except for the folk who just need a word processing / Facebook machine. And let's be honest, most people just need a word processing / Facebook machine.

My only problem with apple doing this (assuming they don't EOL the MBP and MBA) is that it's more expensive than the Air. It should be cheaper, like the old plastic MacBooks. It should slot between an iPad and the other notebooks, because it's basically an iPad that has a keyboard and runs os x.

i agree with almost all of this except, i think almost everyone would need to at least plug a usb stick into their computer at some point

edit: is there even a headphone port on it?

There's a headphone port on the other side.

The USB 3.1 type c connector will probably catch on in the future for usb sticks, etc. It's not proprietary, so you can get a type c adapter for cheap from someone besides Apple. If not now, soon.

USB 3.1 itself should be successful where Thunderbolt clearly isn't (which is sad, Thunderbolt is awesome, but probably soon to be limited to pro spec machines). It's a good do-everything standard, regardless. Apple's just pushing it a little far for comfort at an early stage, which is nothing new.

Those first gen macbook airs were pretty gimped and terrible, but the new ones are great, capable computers. This is a first generation apple product; good idea to stay away for a few revisions. Especially at this kind of unreasonable (imo) price point (the first airs were overpriced too).

If you look at the dimensions on the macbook, the keyboard running to the edge in a housing so thin probably does limit the amount of ports -- the type c port is basically sitting in the empty space between the keyboard and the screen hinge.

I'm curious how the core m performs. No vents or fans. Even if this is useless for power users, gotta give apple credit for pushing the engineering and thermal performance of computers. The stuff they did with the useless first gen MBA certainly informed a lot of much better performing products a few years down the road.

Still, the cult of thin is getting a bit silly imo.

I guess Apple's reasoning is most folks don't use their ports other than charging, so why include a dongle some might never use?

And I suppose their reasoning further is if there are no ports, folks will use AirDrop more...

yea, you guys are right.

my initial rant came more from a place on where i use my machine. i have external monitors, hd's, speakers, etc attached in my office. having 1 port would kill it. but yea, i suppose i will save my freak out for the MBPro update

I guess Apple's reasoning is most folks don't use their ports other than charging, so why include a dongle some might never use?

And I suppose their reasoning further is if there are no ports, folks will use AirDrop more...

Am I the only one that finds AirDrop to be really shitty tech? It's often faster for me to plug in a USB stick, copy the files onto that, then plug the USB stick into the other machine. It's limited essentially by bluetooth transfer speeds, correct?

Edit: too slow, thanks tapatalkobama

I don't think I've ever bothered to use airdrop.

hands of my iMac ports bro

Edit: off. Jesus I can't type on this yhing

Am I the only one that finds AirDrop to be really shitty tech? It's often faster for me to plug in a USB stick, copy the files onto that, then plug the USB stick into the other machine. It's limited essentially by bluetooth transfer speeds, correct?

I tried using it to send two photos from my MBP to my wife's iPhone last night - wouldn't see the iPhone (lol), so I just texted them to her from Photos (which thank GOD they redesigned).

i think you can tell by the way it's priced, the fact they introduced it with the watch, and the fact that they offer it in fucking gold color that it's meant to be more of a fashion piece, not really a practical machine in any way. it's basically for posers to announce "yes, i paid an excessive amount of money for this elegant little sliver of a macbook that is more expensive than the other macbooks that have much better specs - but look at how thin it is!"

whatever. not for me. as long as they don't fuck with the macbook pros.

Guest bitroast

i have lost so much interest in apple recently.

have 2010 macbook pro and iphone 5s and i find with every software update tech gets clumsier and more difficult to get communicating to each other.

the 2010 macbook is so crummy atm even after a format it's essentially obsolete technology (its runs like shit now compared to day 1, even after a clean wipe??). urgh.

i would still like a new apple laptop but i find their software is getting less clean and intuitive and more cluttered as years and updates go on and on.

looking at shiny new laptops with no usb ports and this 24,000 $$ watch and wondering where their priorities lie???

http://store.apple.com/au/buy-watch/apple-watch-edition?product=MJ3K2X/A&step=detail#

Guest bitroast

it becomes this pattern of ..

to properly use the new iphone i need to update the OS on the laptop. new OS on old laptop cripples laptop. need new laptop to communicate to phone. eventually, phone will get slow and buggy and need updating. already have a shiny new laptop at this point, may as well get the newest iphone. in few years time, new iphone will need new laptop.

the integration and reliance of other apple products with one another will essentially mean it'll be a never ending loop of buying expensive /soon redundant tech over and over again.

(... having said all that. apple laptops are nice and definitely get the job done when working properly).

Guest bitroast

hmm. i think you're right. i just wish the damn thing was at least functional as opposed to mostly non-functional >:|

stop updating your OS if you want to use the old hardware in the fast way you used to. all old macs at work use old OSX versions and run great and fast

yea.. my 2011 MBA ran quite nicely until fucking Yosemite.

gotta upgrade soon, it's now at a point where it's getting tedious to do much work on it, this is only because the (somewhat unreadable on non-retina!) UI demands a lot more resources. Probably will be going back to MacBook Pro, current MBA & the new luxury netbook I think don't cut it for actual work. Gotta wait & see for 15" mbp upgrade tho..

it's like, this 2011 entry level 11" MBA has been a pretty great deal, battery went bad at one point but was covered with warranty, done a lot of iOS dev on it.. the ridiculously low 2GB RAM only started to get noticeably bad with Yosemite.

but the current MBAs are not that great for what you pay it seems, I'd guess the cheapest 13" MBP with maxed RAM is probably the best value for the money....? What does watmm think.

maxing the CPU seems pointless unless you do heavy things like CGI movies or such.

For any audio work or app dev etc., the current gen "low-end" CPUs are probably well powerful enough..

plenty RAM & fast SSD will feel quite swift for most tasks.

derp.

usb-c iz daisy chain

need more port why?

macbook-->soundcard-->hardrive-->monitor

only one power cord

thick or what?

You are thick - please point me to the device (beyond large monitors) that offer daisy-chaining for DisplayPort, Thunderbolt, Firewire, etc. - you won't find them.

USB 1.1 is daisy-chainable, and what do you see? Hardly ANY devices with an "out" port on them, and a proliferation of hubs.

USB-C is no different.

Guest fiznuthian

i never liked apple's gui design.. iOS looks and functions weird to me, dunno why. It's clean and pretty in ways, but other ways I just do not enjoy it.

Google looks like they're pulling a slick one with their material design standards.. :) Android just became a lot cleaner.

i have lost so much interest in apple recently.

have 2010 macbook pro and iphone 5s and i find with every software update tech gets clumsier and more difficult to get communicating to each other.

the 2010 macbook is so crummy atm even after a format it's essentially obsolete technology (its runs like shit now compared to day 1, even after a clean wipe??). urgh.

i would still like a new apple laptop but i find their software is getting less clean and intuitive and more cluttered as years and updates go on and on.

looking at shiny new laptops with no usb ports and this 24,000 $$ watch and wondering where their priorities lie???

http://store.apple.com/au/buy-watch/apple-watch-edition?product=MJ3K2X/A&step=detail#

i am guessing that this is because they optimize the operating systems and updates to run on the newest models, thus making the older models run more slowly. i can understand why they do that, but i sometimes think that part of the reason is to make people want to buy the newer models sooner, but i hope they're not that sinister.

i experienced this with my first iphone (the 3g). it was great at first, but when the newer models started coming out and i received software updates, the thing turned into a brick of poopies. it was the primary reason that i switched to android.

Archived