IGNORED

Apple - iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, and Apple WATCH

Joyrex

Guest skytree

There are other smartphones (HTC I believe) that already use Sapphire Glass in their handsets... Apple has been oddly quiet about the screen, only referring to it as "ion-strengthened glass" and not Gorilla Glass, or something else. I wonder who made it?

Nice - do you know which HTC model? While looking into it I found there's a limited edition Huawei phone with sapphire on the market:

http://www.businessinsider.com/huawei-phone-release-2014-9

Interested to learn more about the ion-strenghtened glass.

yeah the sapphire glass is currently used for the apple watch face, it's also used as smartphone camera lens covers.

article where corning explains that sapphire glass ain't all that for large screens at least. (don't watch the top vid, just doing impact tests on GG3). I must be noted from the article that Corning has been investigating sapphire glass for a long time, so maybe apple came to the same conclusions in the end when the claims of the startup that they'd pinned their hopes on didn't quite pan out.

Still though we will eventually be able to do something with things like that. Although there's other solutions coming along like transparent nano mesh nthings.

Since GT Advanced Technologies just went bankrupt, I wonder if there are other companies producing similar quality material or if they had just already produced the necessary stock for the devices shipping already and into the next quarter. What seems to be the current speculation is that Apple is creating their own manufacturing process. Wasn't ready for game time it seems, but still looks like it has a great deal of potential.

Maybe I'm just biased because I like crystals.

So shiny. Such geometry.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...

I hope the watch bombs, it seems like the dumbest, elitist, Silicon Valley wearing piece of poop since Google Glass.

So we have glassholes, what are watch wearers gonna be called?

*on time* doh the puns hurt...

I wonder if the gold version will really be around $10.000

Apple Watch will have features earlier smart watches have had, but the Apple crowd will think it's a new and innovative thing.

Apple never really invented anything. They just pushed it to the mass market

Even if you are rich, why would you spend ten grand on a piece of technology that will be obsolete in two years?

exactly. Still it looks like its going cost as much

i don't think it will flop too bad considering how many people will talk themselves into it being amazing. i say that as a mostly supporter of apple too.

i think, in general, the wearables market is never going to be what people think or want it to be.

Even if you are rich, why would you spend ten grand on a piece of technology that will be obsolete in two years?

Rich people with low self-esteem are a marketer's wet dream.

I like Apple, but smart watches are really a solution in search of a problem.

My issue is it looks like shit.

Although I fort that about iphones and to a lesser extent some of their other gadgets so waiting to be proved wrong.

Can someone explain to me why are all the tech companies working on wearables/smart watches now? Is this just a fabricated trend or does it really answer a consumer demand I am not aware of? I'm genuinely curious

no, the "why" is a valid question and imo Apple doesn't answer it with the watch, at least not with this first iteration.

such a gimmick...

that MacBook seems nice tho

Can someone explain to me why are all the tech companies working on wearables/smart watches now? Is this just a fabricated trend or does it really answer a consumer demand I am not aware of? I'm genuinely curious

Consumers love charging their watches almost every day, we can't bear it when our watch lasts a couple of years without a new battery.

fabricated trend that keeps being forced imo

I don't see the appeal of the watch over $350. At the cheapest, it might make a good edition to the ecosystem and would be something personal and fun. And then when it is eventually obsolete or the battery is shot or the tech has moved on, you won't feel bad buying another one, instead of wasting $10,000

Apple Watch:

1. All the good innovations will be saved over until second and third generation models.

2. People dropping $10,000 on watches are (for the most part) enthusiasts who want mechanical swiss timepieces.

3. Will only become a real success when it is no longer tied to the iPhone ecosystem and not be just a slave unit.

4. iPod and iPad did not rely on another device. Apple will find a way around that as the technology matures.

5. Three years from now, they will have improved battery life and functionality so that it doesn't need another Apple device.

New and better sensors start to successfully float the marked. Originally they wanted to include much more bio sensor stuff but the quality wasn't good enough. We will see these in the next iteration

I'd drop ~$200 on a smartwatch, since I alreadly like fitness tracking and would love hands free navigation for cycling. Glorified pedometers like the Fitbit and Jawbone Up can already cost upwards of $150, so Android Wear/Apple Watch is pretty great from my point of view. I'll admit that having them wed to your smartphone is shit though.

I think apple is dropping the ball when it comes to the iwatch. The things i've seen... Well, i just don't like it. I am interested in something like a wearable device which is equipped with loads of sensors measuring, or rather tracking, health related stuff, but the current form is garbage, imo. But perhaps later iterations will be better. The current one though... In terms of success, this will be more apple tv and less iphone.

Archived