IGNORED

OS X Yosemite

Nebraska

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Installed yesterday, been using the public beta for a couple months now too. The flat look is great, I really like it

I'm excited for iOS 8.1 to get here on Monday so the Continuity features can really be fleshed out

Also someone said they're excited about getting iMessages to their Mac? You've been able to do this for a couple years now

phling, would you say that at this point you're more of an anti-semite than a yo-semite?

lel! :emotawesomepm9:

ok as a point of reference... this is what Apple's own web page for the new iMac looks like on my Macbook Air with latest Safari/Yosemite:

Screen%20Shot%202014-10-17%20at%2016.59.

sure you're not just streaming L-event?

The only application I have had any issues with is MP4Tools, a program I use to quickly convert .mkv to .m4v files for playback in iTunes/Apple TV. It works, but will crash constantly, and unless you quickly dismiss the crash dialogue, the program will halt.

have you tried Beamer? http://beamer-app.com/

works p well for me!

The only application I have had any issues with is MP4Tools, a program I use to quickly convert .mkv to .m4v files for playback in iTunes/Apple TV. It works, but will crash constantly, and unless you quickly dismiss the crash dialogue, the program will halt.

have you tried Beamer? http://beamer-app.com/

works p well for me!

go with ffmpeg CLI imo:

https://www.ffmpeg.org

install via homebrew:

http://brew.sh

So they finally refreshed the Mac Mini, but soldered the RAM onto the motherboard? FFS

and only dual-cores

Sittin over here typing on my quad-core i7 Mini like 'man, you sure they didn't DOWNgrade it?'

But really, I guess the new processors are better all around or whatever, I haven't looked at specs because I have no reason to upgrade my comp May pump the RAM to 16 instead of the 8 I'm at, but i've heard the results aren't exactly stellar so I'm hesitant to drop $100+ on RAM that may not make much difference.

I installed Yosemite yesterday. Everything (including Ableton Live 9 Suite) is working pretty well. I got rid of the stupid transparency effects first thing. I couldn't stand 5 minutes of that shit, it was distracting and counterintuitive to UI, in my opinion. Finder and Spotlight are faster and (seemingly) smoother. Messages is MUCH better...probably dropping Adium finally, after like 10 years on it. Safari is good. It seems like they're taking some ideas from Opera Next. They're saying Safari performance is ramped up but honestly it doesn't seem that much quicker/smoother to me. The view options on iTunes are a little weird, but I'll adjust I'm sure. Also: man, is iTunes a bloated fucking mess in general, though. They need to clean that shit. It does what it needs to, don't get me wrong, but it's always on the verge of being absolutely ridiculous.

I don't have an iPhone so I can't use all the Handoff/calls/sms features.

I do love the flat features and such. They're pulling the computer part of the computer farther away from the average user, which is (for most consumers) a good thing. If Microsoft were on their shit, they'd be taking advantage of that and pivoting Windows as a 'for computer geeks' OS and accompanying hardware. But that's way off track...

I've got it now, love the look and feel but have a reasonably major issue in that itunes is now refusing to play anything though my external soundcard - i can only hear stuff though the internal speakers. all my music programs (logic, numerology, algoriddim dj etc) work fine and play stuff routed properly to whatever i want, i can also hear test tone on my external speakers when setting things up in audio midi setup but then when i go into itunes and press play, nothing....it's weird...

Since 'upgrading', Safari seems to bug out quite a bit. Quite often I find when streaming videos, it loads the first 5 seconds and crashes. Firefox is a lot faster in comparison though but I've gotten use to using Safari, first world problems :/

most troubles I'm having seem to occur when RAM is full, which is easy to achieve with 2GB.

trying to wait for a potential retina macbook air to come out before upgrading...

also, using the high-contrast option in Accessibility now, it's much easier on the eye... the normal UI look has way too much glaring white elements..

the high-contrast thing adds more solid borders around buttons and gets rid of transparency / blur FX... looks less ridiculous.

i'm always really nervous to upgrade to a new OS unless I absolutely need to, last time I upgraded a lot of the stuff I used to use (like Sounddiver) stopped working past snow leopard. Anybody else feel this way?

I still haven't upgraded to Mavericks.

:beer:

I haven't met a full time music maker yet who was eager to upgrade their Mac OS within days of it's launch

• 4 weeks later...

Archived