IGNORED

Aphex Twin: Read part 1 of SYROBONKERS! - an interview with Aphex Twin

Guest jasondonervan

Picking up that point though: Depression does not necessarily equate to feeling down

I'm sure there are many folks who are loving/caring, creative AND learning and yet still suffer from depression.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thing is in a better world reality, creative acts would be considered the most important, not who makes the most money or who is good looking.

Its why we are here imo, I often say to people who get depressed as I never do,

you need to be either loving/caring, creating or learning, then you will be fine.

this is a fucking amazing quote

i don't even have the slightest clue what he's talking about here, it sounds like vague shit people post on facebook

the interview is hilarious, i can't believe people believe everything he says! this is some next level fanatic fan trolling

what is a fact is that this man is funny, tripped 2 hard and makes the most amazing music

what i hope for part 2: the badger, steinvord, sexy pizza boner and "i gave warp 10 albums a week ago"

So what can we expect to happen first? Part 2 of the interview, or Joyrex's imminent announcement?

I don't think an ETA has been set for either, but maybe something in part 2 will spill the beans meaning the announcement has to come first? I guess only JR has the answers we want need!

thing is in a better world reality, creative acts would be considered the most important, not who makes the most money or who is good looking.

Its why we are here imo, I often say to people who get depressed as I never do,

you need to be either loving/caring, creating or learning, then you will be fine.

It's bullshit though. "Are you sad? Then you should stop being sad". No shit Aphex, mind blown

The Interview Where We Learned Aphex Is Basic

I really like that he included a side note basically saying you don't need tons of gear to make great music, a computer is fine, he just needs the gear to buzz himself up (and, I suppose, why not when you can afford it) . As for the depression thing, he seems to be just making the common mistake of assuming other peoples internal worlds are organised like his. He seems to be a person who's emotions are at his disposal, when he wants to deploy them in music for example, but he has no problem detaching from them. I found his account of his early acid trip interesting, where he became emotionless. I was surprised he didn't make the connection between not being able to enjoy his favourite music and his emotions being, more or less, absent. It's been shown that brain damage victims, for example, who report feeling no emotion cannot make value judgements, about anything. It's like a magnified version of trying to do shopping with a hangover, you can't feel good about anything so you buy nothing or the wrong things.

I would think twice about calling anyone an acid casualty, such people exist and Aphex isn't one anymore than Steve jobs was. Early trips are very intense if you have an interesting internal world, so intense you will be influenced by them and talk about them for the rest of your life. That doesn't make you a casualty by any stretch of the imagination.

I think his sunny disposition is helped by the fact that he hasn't had to work a day in his life. The amount he moans in interviews about how much he hates compiling tracks, touring, or doing promotional stuff, I imagine he'd know what depression felt like if he had to do that stuff every day for 40 years.

That quote about depression is probably the most ridiculous thing rdj has ever said.

Of course it was simplistic, but 100% false? I don't know. Depression is a mystery, isn't it? I actually find the chemical imbalance version of depression even more simplistic than what he said but it's believed by almost everyone.

i really really doubt a 5 year old figured out how to pirate and crack renoise, let alone make tunes using it

Kids of today come into this world with Internet everywhere and a computer in their hands. There are 1 year old playing with their iPad. They're growing up with the mentality of computers. How long would it have taken you as a kid to figure out how torrents work in that context? A 6 years old kid today is a 13 years old kid of my generation, like I was at 13 years old a 18 years old person from my parents' generation, and so on. So even if he's lying (I don't think he is), what he is describing is in the realm of possibility. :)

Picking up that point though: Depression does not necessarily equate to feeling down

I'm sure there are many folks who are loving/caring, creative AND learning and yet still suffer from depression.

Millions of dollars and being able to isolate yourself from the normal world whilst being safe in the knowledge that your creative labours are generally accepted and lauded, also helps.

Maybe he should do shift work on zero hour contract at tescos for six months whilst living in a bedsit in a rough area with no access to musical equipment or a working laptop or any of his social network or a vehicle, and we'll see if he moderates his attitude a touch. We'd probably get some intresting music made with mobile phone apps too. [-;

thing is in a better world reality, creative acts would be considered the most important, not who makes the most money or who is good looking.[/size]

Its why we are here imo, I often say to people who get depressed as I never do, [/size]you need to be either loving/caring, creating or learning, then you will be fine.[/size]

i don't even have the slightest clue what he's talking about here, it sounds like vague shit people post on facebook

the interview is hilarious, i can't believe people believe everything he says! this is some next level fanatic fan trolling

what is a fact is that this man is funny, tripped 2 hard and makes the most amazing music

what i hope for part 2: the badger, steinvord, sexy pizza boner and "i gave warp 10 albums a week ago"

vadjger and pizza an stuff plus video/more pics of studios

i really really doubt a 5 year old figured out how to pirate and crack renoise, let alone make tunes using it

Kids of today come into this world with Internet everywhere and a computer in their hands. There are 1 year old playing with their iPad. They're growing up with the mentality of computers. How long would it have taken you as a kid to figure out how torrents work in that context? A 6 years old kid today is a 13 years old kid of my generation, like I was at 13 years old a 18 years old person from my parents' generation, and so on. So even if he's lying (I don't think he is), what he is describing is in the realm of possibility. :)

Having iPads about doesn't magically increase the rate are which kids become literate. Even if a kid has learned to read fluently enough to use the internet, download programs, and crack them by that age (pretty difficult to believe), I don't think they would understand how to use tracker software which is largely text based too. It could be true, but I'm not going to take that as fact just yet.

Guest skytree

That quote about depression is probably the most ridiculous thing rdj has ever said.

Of course it was simplistic, but 100% false? I don't know. Depression is a mystery, isn't it? I actually find the chemical imbalance version of depression even more simplistic than what he said but it's believed by almost everyone.

Combination of both - feedback loops.

Some people argue it's about making better choices, lifting yourself up by your bootstraps, etc. They're partially right.

Some people argue it's about improving mental chemistry, taking supplements, bioavailable lithium, whatever the brain is deficient in. They're partially right.

The reality is that in chronic depression you often see both feeding back onto each other. Making better choices can help to improve your neurochemistry, just as improving your neurochemistry can help to improve your ability to make better choices.

So basically, RDJ hit one out of two nails on the head but omitted the second. Worse things have been said about mental health.

Guest Roksen Creek

If by not 100% false, you mean can being/doing one or more of those things (caring, creative, learning etc) help with depression in some cases then yes I'm sure it can help in some cases, often temporarily.

But the way he says it is so dismissive, pompous, and in such black and white terms. Just because he doesn't suffer from it, "I never do", doesn't automatically mean that he has found the formula and everyone should (or could) live as he does.

It's easy to say you can get over depression by doing x, y, z if you've never suffered from it and I'm going to assume rdj never has because of his "I never do" statement.

I also don't believe it's just a chemical imbalance. It's incredibly complex. And I believe there are many different types of depression.

Also, it has been proven that creatives are more prone to depression, for whatever reason. Making his statement even more naive.

thing is in a better world reality, creative acts would be considered the most important, not who makes the most money or who is good looking.Its why we are here imo, I often say to people who get depressed as I never do,

It's bullshit though. "Are you sad? Then you should stop being sad". No shit Aphex, mind blown

But your putting your own words in his mouth/rephrasing what he typed and then calling it bullshit.

That's just nasty bullshit.

:cisfor:

I also don't believe it's just a chemical imbalance. It's incredibly complex. And I believe there are many different types of depression.

Regarding the last sentence: Yep I think that's true. In my case it was/is a chemical imbalance, showed none of the primary symptoms (suicidal thoughts, appearing down in my mood, weight gain/loss) but most of the secondary ones (extreme confidence issues, constant lethargy, lack of focus at work, night terrors, lack of emotional highs or lows, complete loss of interest in my hobbies) within two weeks of being on medication all the symptoms went and a few months ago when stopping them in a trial by the doctor appeared just as swiftly (before going again as I went back on them). So maybe not for all, but definitely for some.

I've got th weight gain, confidence issues, extreme lethargy, lack of emotonal highs and lows, but generally a little more down than up, complete loss of interest in hobbies (have to force myself and am ok when doing it but easily distracted back to safe zone of no activity or decision making required (multiple paths of choice triggers fearce ocd))

not taking meds though, not judging if you do. Friend had depression and he got a lot better when he went off the meds and got a stable relationship, kid. I don't think that i have depression per ce, something else going on related to my poor memory and often clouded consciousness, I don't know, it's pretty debilitating though.

Guest chops727

So basically what you lot are all saying is your all a bunch of miserable depressed bastards beyond help and anyone who tries to help you is a cunt.

Awesome.

Well your unsympathetic response would diagnose you as the cuntly one sir.

heheh.

i think what ppl were trying to say is that rich is somewhat naive. I don't think that he wasn't well meaning.

you can't blame him really, though.

only people who suffered themselves or docs and therapists working with depressed people over years and years can understand how it feels like to be depressed. it's really unimaginable

Millions of dollars and being able to isolate yourself from the normal world whilst being safe in the knowledge that your creative labours are generally accepted and lauded, also helps.

Maybe he should do shift work on zero hour contract at tescos for six months whilst living in a bedsit in a rough area with no access to musical equipment or a working laptop or any of his social network or a vehicle, and we'll see if he moderates his attitude a touch. We'd probably get some intresting music made with mobile phone apps too. [-;

well, he says he did that. He worked on fast food to buy some gear. But he moved on and went on to become glorious. He's smarter than those people. He's smarter than most people.

So basically what you lot are all saying is your all a bunch of miserable depressed bastards beyond help and anyone who tries to help you is a cunt.

Awesome.

Yep, that's exactly what I typed. To the letter.

Guest chops727

I think his sunny disposition is helped by the fact that he hasn't had to work a day in his life. The amount he moans in interviews about how much he hates compiling tracks, touring, or doing promotional stuff, I imagine he'd know what depression felt like if he had to do that stuff every day for 40 years.

In that 1 tiny sentence, you have bitterness, envy, & negativity !

So your not loving/caring creating or learning and therein lie your possible reasons for depression.

Archived