IGNORED

How does the World view America these days?

Rubin Farr

why carry that much cash though?!

Read the article? He was moving and didn't want to lose it.

as if that's an explanation. who holds that much cash, is my point. I get uncomfortable being in possession of more than $200 in notes, let alone thousands. you're practically asking to be ripped off (lol that it's the po-po doing it in this case - Protect and Snatch Yo Billz).

get a bank account like a normal person.

Yeah, use those institutions that create worldwide instability and inequity...like a normal person.

as if that's an explanation. who holds that much cash, is my point. I get uncomfortable being in possession of more than $200 in notes, let alone thousands. you're practically asking to be ripped off (lol that it's the po-po doing it in this case - Protect and Snatch Yo Billz).

Yeah, use those institutions that create worldwide instability and inequity...like a normal person.

preach it, comrade!

Before you critisize "those institutions" it might be useful to consider "those institutions" is not some homogeneous group of things, but instead pretty heterogeneous. There's a pretty big difference between banks which focus on storing cash for individuals and investment banks, for instance. Goldman Sachs and the late Lehman Brothers were typically investment banks which focussed their activities on those things which crashed the financial system. Activities like providing bank accounts for individuals are of a completely different order and had little or nothing to do with the financial crash. And although there are banks which did both (play investment banker and play safehaven for private cash), these activities were pretty much separated. Asking a bank to store cash is completely different from asking a bank to invest your money to optimise the return on investment. The first is pretty boring old scholl banking, the latter is the risky sexy stuff which is used to pay those huge bonusses.

how rebellious. a tiny proportion of people going Wild West and storing their cash under their floorboards isn't going to change anything with the banks or the broader system, as fucked up it is. it's just going to inconvenience those people and leave them vulnerable to things like this.

Before you critisize "those institutions" it might be useful to consider "those institutions" is not some homogeneous group of things, but instead pretty heterogeneous. There's a pretty big difference between banks which focus on storing cash for individuals and investment banks, for instance. Goldman Sachs and the late Lehman Brothers were typically investment banks which focussed their activities on those things which crashed the financial system. Activities like providing bank accounts for individuals are of a completely different order and had little or nothing to do with the financial crash. And although there are banks which did both (play investment banker and play safehaven for private cash), these activities were pretty much separated. Asking a bank to store cash is completely different from asking a bank to invest your money to optimise the return on investment. The first is pretty boring old scholl banking, the latter is the risky sexy stuff which is used to pay those huge bonusses.

Interesting. I'm admittedly not that knowledgeable about the financial sector, but I'm trying to learn right now. Especially in regard to crypto currencies.

how rebellious. a tiny proportion of people going Wild West and storing their cash under their floorboards isn't going to change anything with the banks or the broader system, as fucked up it is. it's just going to inconvenience those people and leave them vulnerable to things like this.

All big things start out small, but more importantly the state ripping people off for possessing cash is quite alarming.

Yeah not quite sure how you're connecting those two points there Mesh?

Hey chunky.

I assuming he's referring to the immediate attempt by right wingers to paint this terrorist act as an attack on christianity, a narrative they constantly try and push any chance they get. As that's become more and more ridiculous some of them seem to have shifted towards a mental health narrative, assholes.

He's right about the numbers as well, even including sep 11, domestic (presumably almost exclusively Christian) terrorists have killed more people in the US than Muslim terrorists. I read a thing in the NY Times last night that put the figure at something 337 a year since 9/11.

Yeah I guess that makes sense re: the connection.

You need to revisit your figures ;) 337 attacks/year resulting in 254 deaths in the decade after 9/11. It is more than attacks by Muslim extremists though, but that should surprise no one who's paying attention.

The state department released their annual survey on terrorism recently. Results might be surprising to some.

Yeah I guess that makes sense. You need to revisit your figures ;)

337.64?

oh, right. those figures are only accurate 'til 2012.

Edited by caze

Guest chunky

It's hard to tell the difference between false flags and genuinely nutty ppl these days. Shooting up black Christians has to be the stupidest thing a right winger could do. A massive victory for those who hate Western civilization.

Guest skibby

the media totally downplayed that the kid assassinated a state senator who was fighting to get body cams on police after the walter scott murder by cop in that same city in april this year. its like the cia and fbi wanted to avoid 10 major cities burning to the ground or something.

did anyone notice how they took him alive and unbeaten? treated like breivik.

He didn't write that it was the all the victim's fault but only that the state senator and pastor was partially to blame for not allowing members to carry guns in to church. The NRA distanced itself from the tweet for obvious reasons that it was unnecessary point scoring. Now if only the other side of the argument could do the same and keep their anti-gun message to themselves (gawker being hypocritical moaning about this then eh), and respect the mourning of the victims families without point-scoring or using it to push agendas (obama).

That all said and done, it's true that if parishioners had been armed that the kid would have been screwed, less would have died. And if the kid knew up front that they were armed he may never have bothered with that church in the first place. Don't see red at this post, my logic is unassailable.