IGNORED

How does the World view America these days?

Rubin Farr

I need xxx' lady in my bed pronto.

Congrats on finding such unappealing photos of all 3. :catcry:

:nope: favouring the stick insects, I see

Edited by usagi

spaghetti, chicken nuggets, & white girls are some of my favorite things to eat

you took the bait and showed me you are a true american and i respect you for it

high five!

Ht5SG.jpg

Yeah, something about people whose bodies reflect that they eat healthy & exercise is really appealing to me.

Edited by autopilot

Yeah, something about people whose bodies reflect that they eat healthy & exercise is really appealing to me.

Yeah exactly lol.

Edit: better not get into this conversation.... lol

Edited by StephenG

I, also, am really bored with media constant sensationalism (like StephenG said before). Quite often I have the feeling that american society is very "media-oriented"... Too emotive.

Maybe it's not just about the U.S. by the way.

It's a problem everywhere, but depends on the target audience. There are nuggets of more serious coverage. Part of the reason is capitalist drive of course, but the more interesting underlying thing is how attention span and complexity in daily life of people make it very hard to even have time to get deep into concepts. A lot of the time you are tired and just want to chill out, not go into deep thought about society or whatever. That's why capitalism makes money on it. In theory capitalism is compatible with all possible ways society can function, just the people need to be up for it and support it.

The other thing is people need to learn to let go of the emotional people-focused mind (like worrying more about a persons motives and thoughts than the underlying systems of things), and learn to think in systems and cause and effect and structures etc. It is i believe, a learned skill and not something you just do automatically. To let go of preconceived notions, to admit when you're wrong and learn from it and to not get so attached to personalities or impressions of individuals when they are on TV in interviews or whatever. All of this is nothing new, but it becomes sort of super obvious when you have the internet and such hyperactive 24/7 newscycle etc.

It's really a matter of critical thinking and spending time with topics. It's the opposite of what the brain wants to do, which is reach conclusions first with as little energy expended as possible. Everyone who is in any serious academic or political area uses solely systemic analytical thoughts of the world, while a lot of people outside it uses only emotions and what they hear and see from friends and the media for 2 minutes as the truth. This makes it a lot easier to create all of this hyper-media cycle of emotional appeal. I'm just not sure if there is a fix, cause I mean it is hard to even evaluate which topics to go deeper into, and which to just follow the news on. The news should be a gateway to finding topics that are relevant to you, and then you find the experts in books and lectures and whatever else to learn the details

I, also, am really bored with media constant sensationalism (like StephenG said before). Quite often I have the feeling that american society is very "media-oriented"... Too emotive.

There are nuggets of more serious coverage. Part of the reason is capitalist drive of course, but the more interesting underlying thing is how attention span and complexity in daily life of people make it very hard to even have time to get deep into concepts.

I find this an extremely interesting concept.

Is this your own idea or do you have material supporting this idea? Would love to read anything in this area if you can PM me any articles/papers etc.

Edit: sorry, to elaborate. I'm fully aware that as a people we are constantly shifting focus and are busy (though statistically we are spending less time working and more time on leisure than ever before in history). I'm most interested in how this applies to broadcasting/news and the delivery of news etc. (A relevant point I think might be the length and frequency of commercials on television?)

Edited by StephenG

There are nuggets of more serious coverage. Part of the reason is capitalist drive of course, but the more interesting underlying thing is how attention span and complexity in daily life of people make it very hard to even have time to get deep into concepts.

I find this an extremely interesting concept.

Is this your own idea or do you have material supporting this idea? Would love to read anything in this area if you can PM me any articles/papers etc.

Edit: sorry, to elaborate. I'm fully aware that as a people we are constantly shifting focus and are busy (though statistically we are spending less time working and more time on leisure than ever before in history). I'm most interested in how this applies to broadcasting/news and the delivery of news etc. (A relevant point I think might be the length and frequency of commercials on television?)

I don't have any studies offhand but there is this book by Nicolas Carr http://www.amazon.com/Shallows-What-Internet-Doing-Brains/dp/0393339750/ref=asap_B001JS2HYY?ie=UTF8

And also this video talks about it

(it mentions a "growing body of evidence")

These are mostly about internet, so it's kind of my own thing that it affects news, but I don't think it's a stretch to say media in general is mostly the same thing as far as consumption is concerned. I also know from my own relationships that people can have really strange hatred of celebrities on tv or leaders of a political party and when you ask them about it they have totally shallow reasons they just heard in a news snippet or from a friend, and a lot of the time those beliefs are blended with their own views on how the world should be or what the world is, and they don't make a distinction at all. Again my own views: but from a neuroscience perspective it makes sense. The nerves in the brain are connected in conceptual models, and the more symbols you have in the model (words, sentences, images etc) and the more diverse those models are, the more neutral your view on something is. Well in a lot of popular media, stories and explanations of events and people are simplified, so the brain only has a few symbols to put in the model and those symbols are connected only in a few ways and isolated, as opposed to connected in complex and nuanced ways. This leads to islands of bitesized models of things in isolation, also physically in the brain, rather than diverse nuanced complicated models. But of course, you need the symbols from reality, and the symbols should be as close to true and in accord with reality as possible, so there's a lot of work to do. Again just my own thesis!

lisa-aukland.jpg

:crazy:

Just a question: what is the first foreign language teached in the U.S. ? French? Spanish? German? Chinese?

It depends on your region, but it's usually Spanish or French (which were mandatory for a few years in my public school system). My high school also offered German, Japanese, and Latin. So I learned a bit of German and learned some Japanese after public schooling. From what I understand, they usually start to have language classes in the 6th grade or after. However, I think they should teach it at a younger age when the brain is more malleable.

I'll bet she fucks like a beast. Enjoy having crotch-flab draped over your face that smells of a McDonald's grease trap.

Muscles need love too.

Enjoy having crotch-flab draped over your face that smells of a McDonald's grease trap.

I really don't like the taste of McDonald's, but the smell is magic, so this sounds very appealing to me.

Internet 15 years ago: Woops, this .avi you downloaded from Kazaa is an intentionally mislabelled video of someone getting beheaded.

Internet now: TRIGGER WARNING, this article mentions a comedian who made a joke about rape once.

less anglo saxon than before. 'waycist' fact for you. that means a future of: no king james bible, magna carta, habeus corpus. but we're going to miss these old unfashionable things like we'd miss our arms and legs if they were cut off from our bodies.

we're idiots. poofter antics and skin colour? which other animal in the world is obsessed with these trivialities!? a gay kid killed himself over a video? he chose to do that!

whats coming is usa nato vs russia china etc (gog and magog stitch up)

moses, read moses, the kings, the prophets, the laws of moses, the commandments

it's going to be more useful than you currently realise