IGNORED

What's wrong with Florida?

Nebraska

Miami Man Gets 6 Years In Prison After Buying Lamborghini With $4 Million COVID Aid

David Hines, 29, used the money meant to support businesses impacted by the pandemic on the sports car, dating websites and jewelry, authorities said.

A South Florida man has been sentenced to six years in prison after fraudulently obtaining nearly $4 million in federal loans meant for small businesses impacted by the coronavirus pandemic and spending it on personal expenses, including a Lamborghini.

David Tyler Hines, 29, of Miami was sentenced Wednesday after pleading guilty back in February to one count of wire fraud related to the scheme, the Justice Department said.

• Facepalm 1
  • Burger 1
  • Big Brain 1

On 5/14/2021 at 2:28 PM, Rubin Farr said:

28 year-old Florida woman pulls a Drew Barrymore and returns to high school, to hype her Instagram.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/florida-woman-accused-posing-student-113400657.html

woman.jpg

The weird part for me is the security checking the IDs on entrance and stopping people wandering the halls in a high school.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2021 at 1:28 PM, Rubin Farr said:

28 year-old Florida woman pulls a Drew Barrymore and returns to high school, to hype her Instagram.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/florida-woman-accused-posing-student-113400657.html

woman.jpg

To carry out the ruse, Miami-Dade Police said the 28-year-old woman donned clothes similar to the high school students, carried a book bag and entered the school holding a skateboard and carrying a painting, the report said.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

You'd think she'd pick a less Orwellian school high school to nonchalantly enter.  Or does every US high school have security guards policing the hallways now?  lol if so.  That's fucking ludicrous.  

Also, dude who had the highest recorded IQ once upon a time did a similar thing several years over.  Not for IG followers, but to achieve the ideal high school experience he felt he failed in achieving the first time around.  Then there was that really absurd case where the cho-mo registered for an elementary school class and actually got in.  Someone posted that story here many years ago.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

You'd think she'd pick a less Orwellian school high school to nonchalantly enter.  Or does every US high school have security guards policing the hallways now?  lol if so.  That's fucking ludicrous.  

public schools have had security guards and checked for randos in the halls for a long long time.. back in the 70s at least. more so in the 80s at middle schools and highschools. mostly to keep kids from wandering the halls and skipping class but also to prevent kids from other schools who had some beef w/a student. 

• Burger 1

Just now, Zephyr_Nova said:

Weird.  I've never experienced anything like that at a school.

often security would be there to break up fights between students that at times could be pretty crazy.  teachers can't jump in the middle of 2 or 3 kids fighting.  in middle school we had a few security guards that were jacked. could snatch two kids apart easy peasy. 

• Like 1

Geez.  I was at a high school with a population of almost 1400, and I don't recall any incidents of violence breaking out.  Which is pretty remarkable, in retrospect.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

Geez.  I was at a high school with a population of almost 1400, and I don't recall any incidents of violence breaking out.  Which is pretty remarkable, in retrospect.  

yeah.. my highschool was closer to 2100 students. my graduating class was 800.  kids fight sometimes. sometimes more than one fight at a time.  america yo. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

My school in Edmonton had about 1800 students when I was there, looks like they’re up to about 2100 now. 
Biggest incident was when some of the football jocks fought a gang of neo-nazi skinheads (not from the school) in the mall parking lot across the street. 

Kids fight but cops/guards in schools is largely (afaik) an American thing because...guns, I think? 

38 minutes ago, chenGOD said:

Kids fight but cops/guards in schools is largely (afaik) an American thing because...guns, I think? 

none of the security guards in my jr high/high school were armed. just big dudes who knew how to handle themselves and i assumed had some kind of training. 

we didn't have gun violence but in 7th grade, so about 12 yrs old, there some kind of redneck vs black kid fight that turned into a week or two of tension between rednecks (not from my school) and black kids (from my school). in phys-ed a friend of mine, who was black, had talked to me a few times about all the drama and shit he was experiencing. one day he called me over to his locker and said something like "i'm feeling safer from those crackers now" and showed me a little gun that he said was a PPK (james bond gun) w/full clip. it was silver and small. he was my size and it looked small in his hand. no less crazy even to bring to school or have access to. i didn't think to say anything to anyone about it and never mentioned it to anyone ever until i was in my 20s i think. 

that's the only time i saw a gun as a kid other than at a friend's house who's stepdad had some guns. but i'm guessing depending on what circle of friends one had and what kind of shit people got into there were guns probably. 

i was aa easy going howdy dudy looking L7 white kid who's biggest problem was trying to hide the involuntary boners throughout the day so fight drama wasn't part of my daily. 

Edited by ignatius

I’m going to Florida in a couple weeks, and everyone has told me I’ll be an outcast if I wear a mask. It’s really like that here outside the city.

We had armed cops in my high school. Kids got caught with guns sometimes. Like- comparable to possession of an extreme drug. There were fights all the time. Racial ones sometimes, once a riot that was on the news, but I was in class and just heard it all, the teacher locked the doors. In that one the cops got involved and one of them got hurt by a student. But mainly my experience was like @ignatius

Edited by Himelstein

Americans never realise how fucked up America is because Americans never leave (or even take an interest in anything outside of) America. You live in a bubble yet believe you have moral authority to police the rest of the world. 

I know Americans. I started school in America. I dearly like some Americans.

But on the whole, y'all are fucking batshit crazy. A dangerous mix of ignorant and arrogant. With guns. 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 2

1 hour ago, Himelstein said:

I’m going to Florida in a couple weeks, and everyone has told me I’ll be an outcast if I wear a mask. It’s really like that here outside the city.

We had armed cops in my high school. Kids got caught with guns sometimes. Like- comparable to possession of an extreme drug. There were fights all the time. Racial ones sometimes, once a riot that was on the news, but I was in class and just heard it all, the teacher locked the doors. In that one the cops got involved and one of them got hurt by a student. But mainly my experience was like @ignatius

most of my family is still in south florida. people are wearing masks everywhere even after the recent changes to guidelines. a lot of people in florida are vaccinated. they rolled out the vaccines quickly.. not always equitably but they got them out there. 

my mom is in the broward county sub burbs.. like west as fuck near I-75 and everyone is masked in the grocery stores etc.. so FL isn't all idiots but it can be an aggro place and bizarre at times. but it's very diverse which is a big plus. the best gift i ever got was growing up around a lot of people who didn't look like me. 

@Thu Zaw is right about a lot of america. the majority of americans don't travel even if they are able to and see america as the center of the world and don't understand how people from other countries don't see it that way. but plenty of americans don't have their heads up their asses and have a much more wide open world view either because their parents saw to it, they traveled, or whatever experiences they've had to get them to that place. 

all the stereotypes are perfectly true and false at the same time.. about everything. 

• Like 4

That’s good to know. I’m not worried about getting it, and I don’t think my son would be hurt by it, but I don’t want him to be nervous around a bunch of people not wearing masks. And I don’t want to take the chance.

I thought that Disney said you don’t have to wear masks there, and I’m fairly certain the resort we are staying at isn’t requiring them either. But we’re not gonna do Disney this year (Galaxy’s Edge was booked so fast) and we can keep distance at the resort.

I feel like I’ve been raised to pretty much think America was super fucked up. My parents were hardcore liberals, and all the music and art I have ever really been into suggests America is terrible. Guns scare the shit out of me and I don’t like them, I have been held up at gun point twice. I grew up in a small lower middle class neighborhood locked within a really bad area, and now live in the nicest part of town, so I can’t complain really. The paradox @ignatiuspoints out is pretty true.

Edited by Himelstein
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Thu Zaw said:

A dangerous mix of ignorant and arrogant. With guns. 

“Stand your ground laws have contributed to a society where vigilantes with guns feel they have the right to decide what is safety, who is a threat and what the punishment should be,” he continued. “They have turbo-charged everything from road rage incidents to pointless disputes over dog weight.”

What is to be done? The answer, Oliver concluded, is straightforward: don’t pass any more ‘stand your ground’ laws, and repeal the ones on the books. “They’re redundant solutions to a made-up problem and they are actively doing harm.”

John Oliver on ‘stand your ground’ laws: ‘Rosetta Stone for justified homicides’ (The Guardian)

Edited by dcom
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I thought you were gonna post the naked woman trashing an Outback (chain restaurant for anyone unfamiliar), and then getting tased.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Florida students & faculty will have to declare political views to prevent liberal “indoctrination”

The law also allows students to record lectures without consent so they can sue the professor or school for "discriminating" against conservative "thoughts."

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2021/06/florida-students-faculty-will-declare-political-views-prevent-liberal-indoctrination/

Edited by ignatius
  • Facepalm 1

10 minutes from where i grew up.  used to go to the beach just a couple minutes north of this spot.  just fuckn collapsed yesterday.. or last night. 

1 hour ago, randomsummer said:

Sinkhole?

I think it hasn’t been figured out yet but 159 people are currently missing. 

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/06/25/us/miami-beach-building-collapse#what-we-know-about-the-building-collapse-so-far

The 12-story condo building that partially collapsed near Miami early Thursday morning was about to undergo extensive repairs for rusted steel and damaged concrete, an attorney involved in the project said Thursday.

Kenneth S. Direktor, a lawyer who represents the resident-led association that operates the Champlain Towers South building, said an engineer had identified the needed repairs in order for the building to meet structural standards as part of a recertification process for buildings that are 40 years old.

“They were just about to get started on it,” Mr. Direktor said in an interview.

Mr. Direktor said he has seen nothing to suggest that Thursday’s collapse had anything to do with the issues identified in the engineering review. He said any waterfront building of that age would have some level of corrosion and concrete deterioration from exposure to ocean salts that can penetrate structures and begin rusting steel components.

If there had been anything to suggest that a collapse was possible, Mr. Direktor said, the process would have been handled much differently.

“What everyone is going to have to wait for is the results of a thorough engineering investigation,” said Mr. Direktor, who emphasized that the building association was focusing now on helping find survivors and on supporting families.

Government requirements in many parts of South Florida require recertification reviews after 40 years in order to ensure the integrity of older buildings. Anticipating the recertification process at the Champlain Towers South building, which opened 40 years ago, managers had been preparing over the past year for possible repairs, Mr. Direktor said. In recent weeks, he said, the building had started undergoing roof repairs.

Mr. Direktor said engineers had a good idea of where the building needed restoration, but the extent of corrosion is often not clear until crews begin the work. 

Charlie Danger, who retired as Miami-Dade County’s building chief seven years ago and helped strengthen Florida’s building codes after Hurricane Andrew in 1992, said that the county began requiring that structural engineers recertify buildings at the 40-year mark after a federal building collapsed in downtown Miami in 1974, killing at least six people.

With buildings close to the ocean, one of the concerns is that improperly protected rebar may rust and lead to concrete spalling, Mr. Danger said.

“If it was a structural failure, what you want is for the inspection to turn up those issues in time to do the work,” he said.

Building inspectors also tend to worry about unpermitted remodeling inside a high-rise unit that might result in the elimination of a structural support column. “If you cut a structural column, your building is coming down,” Mr. Danger said.

One resident at the Champlain Towers complex, Raysa Rodriguez, said tenants have also been wondering about whether impacts from construction on a neighboring complex could have played a role in the collapse. Ms. Rodriguez said the Champlain Towers complex had been shaking from tremors during the construction that was completed last year.

There have been other signs of concern at the complex. In 2015, a resident filed a lawsuit against the condo association, alleging that poor maintenance of the building allowed water to damage her unit after entering cracks through the outside wall. Daniel Wagner, an attorney for the resident, declined an interview but said in an email that the lawsuit related to the “structural integrity and serious disrepair” of the building.

The complex also showed signs of land subsidence in the 1990s, according to an analysis of space-based radar by a Florida International University professor. The 2020 study found subsidence in other areas of the region, but the condo complex was the only place on the east side of the barrier island where the issue was detected.

Kobi Karp, an architect whose firm has worked on a series of prominent buildings in Surfside and Miami Beach, said the way the building collapsed — and the fact that it was only 40 years old — suggested a possible internal failure. He said that might have been caused by deterioration at the point where a horizontal slab of the building meets a vertical support wall, which could lead one of the building’s floors to suddenly fall, bringing the rest of the building with it.

That deterioration, Mr. Karp said, could have either happened slowly, such as over the last few years, or more suddenly if someone unintentionally damaged the structure of the building, such as while remodeling. He said there would have been signs of the structural weakening, like a crack in a wall or floor tiles, but residents may have missed or dismissed the signs, particularly in a condo where many people spend part of the year elsewhere.

• Thanks 1