IGNORED

Aphex Twin: Computer Controlled Acoustic Instruments pt2 EP

Dpek

oh by "yesterday" i mean that tracks were made much faster than syro tracks. definitely didnt take months and years to finish. some of them are quick scetches, and that gives them special raw charm, that i like (opposed to overpolished syro). he probably gave warp a whole bunch of them, not caring enough about album structure, order and all that. but it's just my thoughts ofc.

Just the engineering and finding the right setup for recording must have taken months, if not years. Building up the robots, finding the right associations between different pieces of gear, etc., he said it: I've been doing robot compositions for years. Sometimes, it's longer to make something that sounds raw than what sounds overpolished. It's not because it seems simple that it was easy to produce. :) I think he gave as much time to those tracks as he did with Syro. Only the result is different.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Listened to this again today. It's brilliant. Got a very strange vibe to it, new direction and sound from Aphex and that's got to be a good thing.

I wonder where he will take it next? Hopefully into further territories.

I suspect Richard was so disgusted by the philistines' reception of Drukqs ("what are these crap piano plonking interlude tracks? welp I'll just delete those off my ipod then") that he lost his enthusiasm for that stuff & turned to analog acid.

A decade later, he figures "OK, I'll give em an LP of fun, danceable tracks so they jump on the bandwagon again. Then I drop an EP that's basically all that drukqs stuff they hated before & watch them awkwardly try to rate it out of 10 without exposing themselves as clueless hypocrites after they just reaffirmed me as the messianic grandfather of modern electronic music"

Maybe I only think this because a lot of the drukqs tracks are better conceived & executed than some of CCAIp2, & I suspect that could be deliberate. That said, I'm very much digging this EP; it actually reminds me a lot of the ventolin EPs in that it's uncomplicated but never boring. It also feels like he actually had fun making it; it's "experimental" (unorthodox) but doesn't feel pretentious or over-thought (again like ventolin). Also I can get at the disc without having to unfold the digipak like 20 times, so that's a plus.

Guest totemcrackerjack

wut?

what I'm saying is: weather is nice, spliff is good, afex is lush

the ep is at least as good as syro you should listen 2 it some more, then you will swallow that 'here are some tracks i made yesterday' comment. spliff on ;)

Sorry to be the bearer of a contrarian point of view, but Ivan, despite loving this EP, I think you're a bit too hasty to consider another person's viewpoint as being hastily produced rather than their natural viewpoint to this style. I don't like aspects of aphex, and indeed I don't think everyone likes everything he does. I've met a good deal of competent listeners in my time, and I believe first that they are dealing with emotions in a different manner than I am and this, first and foremost, is how they respond to music in a different way than I do. Music is never a rational exploration, as much as I want it to be.

wut?

the ep is at least as good as syro you should listen 2 it some more, then you will swallow that 'here are some tracks i made yesterday' comment. spliff on ;)

Sorry to be the bearer of a contrarian point of view, but Ivan, despite loving this EP, I think you're a bit too hasty to consider another person's viewpoint as being hastily produced rather than their natural viewpoint to this style. I don't like aspects of aphex, and indeed I don't think everyone likes everything he does. I've met a good deal of competent listeners in my time, and I believe first that they are dealing with emotions in a different manner than I am and this, first and foremost, is how they respond to music in a different way than I do. Music is never a rational exploration, as much as I want it to be.

That's exactly what I was thinking

wut?

That's exactly what I was thinking

very true totemcracker, nice post, and i am a bit hasty by nature

just didn't agree with "here is some tracks i pooped yesterday warp" i think the album deserves a little more respect :wink:

but...just imagine how godlike his skill is if he's done that EP in a day :emotawesomepm9:

i still don't get your opinion why track can be bad if it was made in small amount of time, but...

lets just forget it and have a beer :beer:

but...just imagine how godlike his skill is if he's done that EP in a day :emotawesomepm9:

i still don't get your opinion why track can be bad if it was made in small amount of time, but...

lets just forget it and have a beer :beer:

ha that would be godlike and you never know with this guy

i know you can make an awesome track in a small amount of time (especially him), i didn't say that

but he probably put a lot of time and care in the instruments and the programming to make this music

that's my opinion :biggrin:

cheers m8 :beer:

I've been finding myself putting it on most days when I get home from work. It's a perfect mix of funky and intricate to stop me from just slouching at my desk all evening. I thought it was a pretty dark album on my first listen but that's quickly dissipated, although the idea of a room full of robots is still pretty eerie.

and totally agree with these not being done as a throwaway, sometimes the most simple-seeming things take a lot of time and work, particularly with engineering related stuff.

I haven't listened to the Squarepusher album, but I've watched some of the live videos and it seems like an entirely different ball game. The projects are titled Music For Robots and Computer Controlled Acoustic Instruments. MFR is based on robots playing stuff like electric guitars and keyboards. CCAI is MIDI controlled drums, percussion, piano, etc. 100% acoustic instruments. Not to mention that Rich and Tom are tackling completely different styles of music in each project. I don't think the two should be compared.

I haven't listened to the Squarepusher album, but I've watched some of the live videos and it seems like an entirely different ball game. The projects are titled Music For Robots and Computer Controlled Acoustic Instruments. MFR is based on robots playing stuff like electric guitars and keyboards. CCAI is MIDI controlled drums, percussion, piano, etc. 100% acoustic instruments. Not to mention that Rich and Tom are tackling completely different styles of music in each project. I don't think the two should be compared.

exactly!

CCAI is MIDI controlled drums, percussion, piano, etc. 100% acoustic instruments.

To be fair, there are effects like delay and flange going on with some of the instruments, and what sounds like parts (reversed sounds, etc.) added to the first track after recording it.

Archived