IGNORED

AFX • ‘orphaned deejay selek 2006-08’

Herr Jan

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah! I should have said "almost" absence, mea culpa. Apart from the obvious occasional open ones, they're mixed most the time so unusually low I totally forgot about them. No matter how good are my ears / monitors / headphones, I've barely noticed the closed ones during the 'rim shot' parts.

it's the dry, woody timbres. and the melancholy vibe. bit of klangfarbenmelodie (trade off) going on with the bass and the melodic figures. the relaxed percussion workout of it, hints of malaise, and the weird sounds/editing. it's endlessly playable

I don't dislike it or anything, but it's not the standout from the release for me (I'm grouping it in with Orphaned as the bleep download page displays the same artwork for both).

I like the melodies throughout, but don't really like what happens around the 2:25 mark. I wish that little diversion didn't happen.

The clicks on the stutter edits in umil trigger my OCD. They're like seams on some injection molded plastic toy. Wabi-sabi for days, though.

The track's pretty charming in a 90s / Black Dogish sorta way.

My prostate achieved maximum stimulation in the Analord era (fancy that?), so pretty much anything Richard cares to release henceforth is squarely in the 'gravy' category for me.

I don't really understand the almost universal praise for Umil.

I don't particularly like that track.

The badly named Dean Carbin was flamed, roasted and hazed for saying that and you witnessed it, you sat idly by. He was like a flame roasted peanut. You thought Carbin was your mouthpiece, the water tester. More very coy behaviour from the canadian G. Someones gonna have to keep a closer eye on this chunk of meat.

I don't really understand the almost universal praise for Umil.

I don't particularly like that track.

The badly named Dean Carbin was flamed, roasted and hazed for saying that and you witnessed it, you sat idly by. He was like a flame roasted peanut. You thought Carbin was your mouthpiece, the water tester. More very coy behaviour from the canadian G. Someones gonna have to keep a closer eye on this chunk of meat.

almost poetry, really enjoyable read

Haha, thanks. Whats got me thinking about this stuff is i read the Pitchfork interview again today where he's talking about his obsession with sound and gear and he's talking about future projects, the stuff he's most excited about is the stuff he's doing with his robots. I reckon we'll see some more robot stuff as he perfects his skills on that. The new releases are just getting stuff out there. Programming his bots is where his passion lies these days i think...What a life!

Guest cult fiction

Haha, thanks. Whats got me thinking about this stuff is i read the Pitchfork interview again today where he's talking about his obsession with sound and gear and he's talking about future projects, the stuff he's most excited about is the stuff he's doing with his robots. I reckon we'll see some more robot stuff as he perfects his skills on that. The new releases are just getting stuff out there. Programming his bots is where his passion lies these days i think...What a life!

Doesn't seem that way to me. In fact, it seems like his interest in bots crested around 2010 w/ Metz track and CCAI pt 2 tracks or at least if he is still playing with him we aren't hearing any of it. I was really surprised there wasn't more HAT breaks on syro.

All of the later Syro stuff and the newer bits he's posted on SC like T08+4, cheetahs are all just loads of gear sequenced live. He also seems to have a rekindled interest in digital FM synths.

Never thought of thanaton3 as a HAT track. I know there are probably some original drum / percs samples, probably the main drum break is an original RDJ recording as well, but they don't sound recorded live like they do on CCIApt2.

Doesn't seem that way to me. In fact, it seems like his interest in bots crested around 2010 w/ Metz track and CCAI pt 2 tracks or at least if he is still playing with him we aren't hearing any of it. I was really surprised there wasn't more HAT breaks on syro.

All of the later Syro stuff and the newer bits he's posted on SC like T08+4, cheetahs are all just loads of gear sequenced live. He also seems to have a rekindled interest in digital FM synths.

That and he said he is getting back into making tracks very quickly, I'm sure those Robots take a while to set up properly! Seems he is sticking to Synths and Digital means, which is exciting because while CCAI was a very nice experiment, Syro is definitely the highlight of his last few years IMO.

Guest bitroast

Never thought of thanaton3 as a HAT track. I know there are probably some original drum / percs samples, probably the main drum break is an original RDJ recording as well, but they don't sound recorded live like they do on CCIApt2.

whole thing has probably been recorded + sampled + cut up and treated as if a drum break just as you would any other drum break.

the track is vaguely HAT-y : )>

What in the name of our almighty lord? We heard CCAI very recently of course he's still obsessed with them. Who wouldn't be having an expensive toy like that. The cunt'll be trying mess with it's circuitry trying to get some weird sound out of it and end up breaking it and having to send it back to Heinrich to get fixed on warranty. I don't think it's the last we've heard of the HATbots.

What in the name of our almighty lord? We heard CCAI very recently of course he's still obsessed with them. Who wouldn't be having an expensive toy like that. The cunt'll be trying mess with it's circuitry trying to get some weird sound out of it and end up breaking it and having to send it back to Heinrich to get fixed on warranty. I don't think it's the last we've heard of the HATbots.

still waiting for proper microtonal organ tune.

Archived