IGNORED

Super Mario Maker 1 & 2

Squee

It's harder than I expected to make a course that doesn't totally blow dogs for quarters. Is this a skill you get from experience or is it a you-got-it-or-you-dont type of thing?

Sometimes a level just happens. Other times you fail miserably and that's when I usually head over to the course world and play a couple of levels to get inspiration

Guest bitroast

yeah i think it's a skill that can be learnt. be it from lots and lots of time spent playing games and thinking about game design, to spending lots of time in mario maker or whatnot and learning the things first hand. there was a doublefine video with john romero and they start talking about book called Designing Disney, which apparently goes into detail about the thoughts and decisions behind designing the original disneyland, epcot etc. and apparently .. back in the day(?).. whole bunch of level designers / game design people used to constantly refer to that book because the ideas in the book translated to level design really nicely. how to convey information to the player, guide them. bit of a tangent but i guess my point is, it's definitely a skill more than anything. like anything i think it's something that can be improved with time and focus.

having said all that, the joy of mario maker is being able to play it on the gamepad with something on in the background. have fun with it :)

Edited by bitroast

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/bitroast

latest level is ben's fortress, a level made with **SUPER challenge** in mind, inspired by dipping into dark souls again recently (ben's fortress, sen's fortress.. geddit? :emotawesomepm9: ).

I got really far in that level but those hammer brothers are such a pain in the ass

So I finally finished my first "level" - tried to do some kind of arcade level, something really simple but, hey, that's my first finished level !

If somebody wanna try it I'd love to have some returns or advices : 2A97-0000-01B2-96CE !

(yeah there are other levels on my account but these were made by my little brother who is probably a better level designer than I am...)

New level is up, folks!

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/631C-0000-01BE-F6AE

It's meant to be fun and make you feel good. Some of it is a tiny bit tough, but not like my other levels. It's a long level though.

So I finally finished my first "level" - tried to do some kind of arcade level, something really simple but, hey, that's my first finished level !

If somebody wanna try it I'd love to have some returns or advices : 2A97-0000-01B2-96CE !

(yeah there are other levels on my account but these were made by my little brother who is probably a better level designer than I am...)

Tough. Had to try it a couple of times. I died right as I jumped for the p-block, but ended up clearing the level.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bitroast

lol i got that as well.

had a wee break and more recently was looking over the levels i had on the go... they're all really hard and "super expert" difficulty methinks.

time to tone it back and pump out something fun n ez i think : >

(((super expert isn't even an in-game difficulty setting wtf)))

Edited by bitroast

The difficulty level is decided by the game itself based on your level's stats isn't it ?

Yeah, I think it's based on the amount of attempts compared to how many times it's been completed.

• 4 months later...

I totally want to get back into SMM, but it seems that the ideas have gone away from me. Nearly every one of my stages was built around a special idea, a theme, or a mechanic, but I can't seem to think of anything interesting or fun enough to make a whole stage out of. So sad.

I totally want to get back into SMM, but it seems that the ideas have gone away from me. Nearly every one of my stages was built around a special idea, a theme, or a mechanic, but I can't seem to think of anything interesting or fun enough to make a whole stage out of. So sad.

SMM died on me in an instant. I was working on a level and then BAM. I didn't want to play that game anymore. I might get back to it at a later stage though.

Guest bitroast

SMMaker is/was rad but also had server stress that kinda killed it. like .. the initial rush was rad. upload a level and get heaps of plays ... the increase in plays turns into a snowball effect of getting more and more plays. it was really encouraging. the more people that jumped on the more the decrease in plays was super noticable.

no biggy, i was still happy making and playing levels.. but then nintendo deleting levels with zero communication and outright denying the ability to reupload even an edited/improved version of level ... plus this happening to a lot of people at same time. was a big buzz kill. felt like nintendo urging you to get off their platform lol

SMM was a great idea and very well executed, but Nintendo seems to have decided to stop supporting it beyond gimmicky DLC characters. Probably thinking about SMM2 for the NX at this point.

Splatoon is in the same boat, with the final Splatfest to decide once and for all: Marie or Callie (Callie of course)

• 3 years later...

yes. discoverability is a big issue. it's like Soundcloud. you have a bunch of songs with 1-2 listens. then out of nowhere, one song will randomly get a small handful extra listens and likes. and then that wee bit of immediate attention snowballs it into more peoples feeds and sometimes you can (seemingly inexplicably) have songs that explode while other songs have 0 plays. 

ie. case in point. wtf is this bullshit ??? come on maaaan ;-;

HcDZNbL.jpg

i find the level editing on the handheld to be totally fine. you can't input items onto the screen with the buttons; you have to use the touch screen. so you're going to have to get used to holding the switch with one hand and poking at it, but also holding the switch firmly enough to be able to use the buttons and L and R shoulder buttons. i reckon the Wii U input with the gamepad and stylus was faster and snappier, and this is slower. but it's not by any means broken or terrible, you just need to find a way to 1 hand the thing comfortably + get used to being slower and patient with it. i haven't used it with a stylus yet but i imagine that will improve things considerably. 

• Thanks 1