IGNORED

the watmm GAS thread

modey

10 hours ago, modey said:

I suppose I can say that I've got one now that it's leaked. 

It's good. Really good. Much deeper than it appears, you just have to do some tricks (much like the other Elektrons). I'll save the details for the video dump tomorrow, but I'm gonna defend this to the death, because the haters are wrong. 

It's actually the reason why I also bought the Model:Samples. 

Is this a fleshlight review?

7 hours ago, modey said:

I think that what most people don't realise is that an Elektron box that could do everything would just be super menu-divey and possibly downright hard to use. People have enough trouble with the OT, let alone something that contains more than that..

I realize that and i want one! ? 

9 hours ago, auxien said:

User reviews: Elektron Octatrack - Audiofanzine

(not everything but pretty close)

My precious! (Mk2 tho)

OT only misses overbridge and maaaaybe bigger ram. But it’d be perfect then and Elektron could simply close R&D department for good

OT + overbridge and more RAM would be better obv....i'd assume they're going to do that one day but perhaps years down the road

i'd say too much more in an OT is basically just a DAW. if you need more than an OT then hook up a MIDI controller to your fave DAW and shut the fuck up ?

holding off on commenting about the Model:Cycles til i see/hear it in action. that clown meme is ace tho, remember seeing at least two of those exact comments in the Elektronauts thread and rolled my eyes. good work :watmm:

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, auxien said:

remember seeing at least two of those exact comments in the Elektronauts thread and rolled my eyes

I didn't get that it was a dig at first, as I really do thrive in a limited environment. 

I created some factory content for it. Not sure how much made it into the machine, but there's a video that just got posted which shows someone scrolling through presets and I could see a couple of mine in there.

Edited by modey
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, auxien said:

OT + overbridge and more RAM would be better obv....i'd assume they're going to do that one day but perhaps years down the road

i'd say too much more in an OT is basically just a DAW. if you need more than an OT then hook up a MIDI controller to your fave DAW and shut the fuck up ?

I understand you and i do use controllers and daws. 
...but:
OT + OB + more RAM =! DAW

OT no matter what it still wouldn’t be able to touch a daw, nowhere near it! What can be done in, say Ableton, it’s crazy!

OB would be great just so could jam for an hour or so, record 8 stereo channels and edit them later, nothing else. Now we can record 2 stereo or 4 mono channels which is usually not enough. Maybe it’d be enough if OT had better processors and efx and/or if we could load more of them on a single channel, then daw wouldn’t be much needed bc we could properly mix a track on OT but it still wouldn’t be something like Ableton or especially not (a million miles away) Samplitude. 

p.s. with this ram you can record on- board only 5 min (24 bit) and 8 min (16 bit) of material with completely empty flex slot list (=ram free of samples)

Edited by xox

I'm pretty stoked for this. I was already lusting for the M:S - the Elektronauts folks who actually make tunes instead of whining have sung its praises and made some wicked stuff with it. I hope my will is strong enough to wait until next year to buy either one, but I think I'll ultimately end up with both. Either seems like a real sweet spot of limitation vs. power, has a great sequencer, roughly knob-per function UI, sounds great, has a good form factor for throwing in a bag and taking to a buddy's house OR chilling on the couch. Also that new battery handle means I can go for a walk at lunch and make tunes under a tree or on the bus. Different strokes I guess - the people who are hating on this thing probably can't coax half-decent stuff out of a PO/volca/gameboy either ?

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

"the elektronauts folks who actually make tunes" lol would like to meet one of those rare creatures...

edit : also, 4 synthesis parameters per machine, for christ sake, is this a joke ?

Edited by d-a-m-o
  • Haha 1

I hate to admit it, but everything I am hearing and seeing on youtube about the models cycles is great. I realize I can dial all these sounds in via the digitone, but these preset machines probably speeds things up significantly.

Edited by acid1

I'm assuming the sequencer doesn't put out polyphonic midi when using the Chord machine?  Missed a trick there.  Modey, I didn't realize you were vague robots, I've watched a few videos today and your demos are making the best use of it compared against the usual suspects.   

19 minutes ago, kakapo said:

I'm assuming the sequencer doesn't put out polyphonic midi when using the Chord machine?  Missed a trick there.  Modey, I didn't realize you were vague robots, I've watched a few videos today and your demos are making the best use of it compared against the usual suspects.   

thx m8 ?I haven't watched any demos yet, but there's a video that runs through all of the preset patterns (they used 4 of mine!! I'm so happy), and it's really interesting to see how versatile it is depending on who's using it. I'm gonna try to get weird with it. That said though, my next video will probably be using it with the Monomachine—I paired them the other night and made some super deep space electro stuff. It also gets pretty dirty and distorted once you start pushing the levels up; I need to exploit that.

I haven't tried external sequencing yet, but I'm sure it's just mono, as the "chord" setting is just a parameter, and controls a cluster of oscillators, like the chord mode on Plaits.

I love my Digitone, but the menu diving makes it kind of hard to quickly do stuff on the fly (rather than programming everything in ahead of time). Model:Cycles actually might be a good accompaniment to it with those dedicated knobs. And at $300, it's certainly worth it. That's what I paid for my Korg ESX.

Finally placed an order for the Epiphone tribute plus! Was a bitch to find in stock but none of the equivalent alternatives from Epiphone, PRS or ESP seemed up to par, all have hotter pickups and lousier materials. I almost considered the ridiculous prizm finish as it was the lowest priced and still available, but I finally found a red one at a good price. It baffles me how the same model can range hundreds of euros depending on the vendor. 

spacer.png

I need a decent on-the-go interface and went with Apogee's jam +. Gear4music threw it in with a cheapass dynamic mic bundle, all at a lower price than the standalone product at other vendors. Figured why not? Should hold the GAS demon at bay... Though I've got eyes on the Sire Marcus Miller P7 five string bass. Great price and the thing sounds fantastic in the demos, even against vintage fender P basses. 

spacer.png

got a model:samples coming to my place tomorrow hopefully. behringer TD-3 should arrive in a week. kinda want to add a model:cycles to it in a few months for a live setup maybe? have a minilogue xd, behringer 101 and a monologue as well, curious what kind of braindancing i can get out of all this ?

On 2/26/2020 at 6:44 AM, xox said:

I understand you and i do use controllers and daws. 
...but:
OT + OB + more RAM =! DAW

OT no matter what it still wouldn’t be able to touch a daw, nowhere near it! What can be done in, say Ableton, it’s crazy!

OB would be great just so could jam for an hour or so, record 8 stereo channels and edit them later, nothing else. Now we can record 2 stereo or 4 mono channels which is usually not enough. Maybe it’d be enough if OT had better processors and efx and/or if we could load more of them on a single channel, then daw wouldn’t be much needed bc we could properly mix a track on OT but it still wouldn’t be something like Ableton or especially not (a million miles away) Samplitude. 

i was never trying to say or imply that OT mk3 with more RAM and OB = Ableton, just that at some point not too far past where an OT is now, you’re getting closer to a pretty basic DAW. 

re: Model:Cycles, idk. seems okay for the price for some people I guess? but nothing I heard made me interested in ever considering it. almost all of these Elektron boxes are being designed as essentially different versions of a groovebox, getting a bit same-y tbh. 

4 hours ago, chronical said:

got a model:samples coming to my place tomorrow hopefully. behringer TD-3 should arrive in a week. kinda want to add a model:cycles to it in a few months for a live setup maybe? have a minilogue xd, behringer 101 and a monologue as well, curious what kind of braindancing i can get out of all this ?

I'm biased, but I think the M:C would fit right in to a setup like that. Proudly digital synthesis among analog is pretty braindance, right?