IGNORED

the watmm GAS thread

modey

9 hours ago, sweepstakes said:

I've been avoiding real DAW usage for many years. I'm finally realizing that making stuff that slams is more satisfying than a fun knob twiddling jam. What's more, they're not mutually exclusive. 

I'm not against daws but I never want to program another midi note or micromanage audio snippets again. Kills the vibe so hard. 

• Like 1

I go through phases. I actually kinda want to have a go at proper composition again soon, as I've learned a lot about chord to progressions since the last prog album I made. I don't do piano rolls though, I've always felt more at home with a tracker. 

• Like 1

I've only seen a few videos of the Model:Cycles but what I have seen I really enjoyed.  Same with the Model:Samples.  Fact is, not everyone wants to spend half their time menu diving on a system that needs you to chuck anywhere upto €1500 at it and that can takes years to master.  Plus they look like good stepping stones if you're just starting too.  I didn't enjoy my A4 anywhere near as much until I got my hands on the Digitakt and became a little less overwhelmed with the whole thing.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, chim said:

I'm not against daws but I never want to program another midi note or micromanage audio snippets again. Kills the vibe so hard. 

I've found that it's fun to jam and record that as it goes, and then cut, fix and arrange things to make a more coherent piece of music. It's two different headspaces but I am trying to make them work well together.

And I think definitely it will get easier to mess around with arrangements and melodies over time once you get used to it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chim said:

I agree but I think there's a sweet spot. For me (right now, anyway) that seems to mean first making the base elements away from the DAW. Then I put on my mixing and editing hat to clean it up, which I'm starting to enjoy as I realize I don't really have to spend that much time on it.

Cutting up individual notes sucks. Moving bars around and being able to surgically remove a minute of wanky, dull tweaking is great. I have been kind of against that in the past, but now I'm finding it liberating.

1 hour ago, modey said:

I go through phases. I actually kinda want to have a go at proper composition again soon, as I've learned a lot about chord to progressions since the last prog album I made. I don't do piano rolls though, I've always felt more at home with a tracker. 

I also feel way more at home on a tracker. Unfortunately editing is a bit tedious on Renoise when it comes to moving events around in relation to other tracks. I'm trying to use instrument phrases more to help with that. I might give Redux a shot at some point too.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sweepstakes said:

I agree but I think there's a sweet spot. For me (right now, anyway) that seems to mean first making the base elements away from the DAW. Then I put on my mixing and editing hat to clean it up, which I'm starting to enjoy as I realize I don't really have to spend that much time on it.

Cutting up individual notes sucks. Moving bars around and being able to surgically remove a minute of wanky, dull tweaking is great. I have been kind of against that in the past, but now I'm finding it liberating.

After yet another catastrophic drive failure a few years ago I took a break. Eventually I realized I didn't miss all the technical programming and obsession over details. But working in a typical DAW with piano rolls it's way too easy to get lured into that and I've been working that way since forever. It's fine for tweaking in the mixing stage but when you're still churning ideas out the creative process suffers, unless you're like rich and really intimate with a hw sequencer (or tracker) . What I missed was just playing instruments and grooving, which I've been doing solely and want to extend that into a recording workflow. My favorite idea right now is a live/jam setup with readily available instruments (strapped guitar, keyboard in front and standing v-drum kit?) hooked up to a looper.

b64d1ee1bb7a679918156c29bfe6b9fe.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Once I got a Korg MS-20 I haven't used any other hardware since (except for a generic midi controller). It killed my gear lust as anything else I reasoned I could do on the PC.

Also the accompanying SQ-10 sequencer. Both of those together and you have a self-contained modular synth. The MS-20 mini and SQ-1 are just as good and probably even better for a desktop setting. Only problem I have with it is that it isn't really compatible with other modular components outside of korg because it uses a different voltage parameter.

Edited by Entorwellian
  • Like 3

New guitar day! The pickups are soooo good, really dynamic and sensitive so it's easy to get good muted tones and hammer ons etc. Unfortunately they pick up every stupid thing I do so I feel like a worse player, ha. 

IMG_20200303_113152.jpg

• Like 1

spacer.png

I tried the kyra today in a store on some cheap store’s headphones, controlled by a midi controller...

First impression:

- it’s bigger than I thought it was! 
- the knobs are quite slippery

- it’s very confusing at first but after 10 minutes I managed to turn it on lol 

- jk.... after 10 minutes i learned how to make and how to save a patch but id guess that a manual reading in a must

- 99% of presets sound like a ‘90s psy-ambient bonus track

- this thing is ridiculously deep! I mean crazy deep!!! You can make it sound almost in any way you can imagine

- it’s completely alias-free; I couldn’t make it fart... in a bad way anyway

- onboard efx are good enough but the reverb could be better

- modulation is deep enough 

- filters are beyond sweet! Just beautiful!

but 2.000 euros for cash?! Wow ... maaaaybe but not today 

imo Elektron should make such synth! The biggest thing it misses is an elektron sequencer. 

Edited by xox
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Entorwellian said:

I like that there are four outs on that beast.

hadn't noticed that, always a great thing. no inputs at all though ? heard some good stuff on that Kyra tho.

10 hours ago, xox said:

imo Elektron should make such synth! The biggest thing it misses is an elektron sequencer. 

that would be too smart and make too much sense. instead they'll release another FM synth next year even more hobbled than the last, the Elektron FM Mono. two modulation algorithms and no filter but it's still got a 16 step sequencer! (no song mode tho) :emotawesomepm9:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Entorwellian said:

flol. Just saw on the picture that the Kyla only has USB 2.0

Usb 2.0 is good enough for 8 channels of audio. You don’t need v3

I have an OP-1 again, couldn't resist. 

I sold the last one just before the voltage engine and arp were added; they're so good!

19 hours ago, psn said:

That Polyend Tracker is intriguing. 

polyend-tracker-01-770x425.jpg

This looks like obscure devices from 80s offices. I like it.

But why should I get a box that is a tracker? I think the aesthetic demands a beat up old laptop with a clunky MIDI interface and some weird tracker software instead.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, thawkins said:

polyend-tracker-01-770x425.jpg

This looks like obscure devices from 80s offices. I like it.

But why should I get a box that is a tracker? I think the aesthetic demands a beat up old laptop with a clunky MIDI interface and some weird tracker software instead.

forreal. grab a laptop from 2008-2012 for like $250 and load up milkytracker or renoise to achieve the same result.

• Like 1