IGNORED

the watmm GAS thread

modey

Not critical at all but I'm curious so I'll ask here. Is there a hardware device that will take a midi gate in as a trigger (hopefully with the ability to filter which notes to accept) to send random modulation of selected midi cc's?

Drambo for iOS does this and it's one of the cooler tricks I've ever found. I've never seen this in hardware. Squarp Pyramid comes close but that's clock-based rather than MIDI gate.

16 minutes ago, Taupe Beats said:

Not critical at all but I'm curious so I'll ask here. Is there a hardware device that will take a midi gate in as a trigger (hopefully with the ability to filter which notes to accept) to send random modulation of selected midi cc's?

Blokas Midihub, and ZOIA/ZEBU. I have both, and they're great. They have a rather steep learning curve, but the payoff is huge.

Edited by dcom
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Taupe Beats said:

Drambo for iOS does this and it's one of the cooler tricks I've ever found. I've never seen this in hardware. Squarp Pyramid comes close but that's clock-based rather than MIDI gate.

maybe: https://blokas.io/midihub/

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Bought a 200€ SMSL D-6S DAC. Nothing fancy when it comes to features, aside from 2024 state of the art digital to analog conversion, 32bit / 700 something kHz specs, ridiculously low THD / SNAD and balanced XLR outputs. Here are some measurements if one's curious : https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/smsl-d-6s-balanced-dac-review.48813/

TBH, I was curious to see if there'll be a difference with my good ol', mastering grade, German made, boutique SPL Crimson. The D-6S slays it, such a drastic difference my jaw dropped. I'm not sure I've ever heard such pristine sound comoing out of a computer (that includes top studios I've attended sessions at). I'll keep the Crimson for its gorgeous pres and DAC though.

I've heard details in my own tunes I didn't even know were there, and I think I have great monitoring and decent ears. But fuck me that's insane one can buy something so affordable which can output such neutral, transparent (sound-stage / frequency balance) and fast (transients) sounds. I'm gobsmacked. Sound-design and mastering will be even more pleasant now, so cool!

Ps: the equally cheap and stunning E1DA 9038SG DAC/headphone amp in the picture (forground) is banana too. D-6S is the unit in the back, feeding my Amphion amp & monitors.

IMG_6949.JPG

Edited by Nil
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2024 at 1:26 PM, auxien said:

i’m going to be buying the new Korg opsix module. increased polyphony, perfect form factor, i’m ready for some deep hardware FM playtimes.

it's now on the way to me. making some space for it  :catbreadcut:

currently GASsing for an Intellijel Cascadia: